Fe'Zahn Tremaine Edmunds scouting report tells us exactly what we see on the field.

LB48

It's been 3 years since this report.  I don't see any improvement in his play - - maybe dropping off.  What do you think?

[Edit: this report appears to be from https://www.profootballweekly.com/2018/04/17/nfl-draft-profile-no-11-virginia-tech-lb-tremaine-edmunds/a42uauc/.  Please give your sources when quoting someone else's work.  Thanks. -Mod]

Gap integrity looks like that of a 19-year old. Will take the wrong gap and watch runners go where he should have been. Eyes get too big — gets greedy and will overplay the ball. Takes on blockers at poor angles and gets cleaned out of plays. Has to key better on OL movement and diagnose run plays just a hair faster. Doesn’t use his hands well enough at this point to stack and shed interior OL blocks. Can get blown up by crack-back blocks — must do better job of keeping head on a swivel.

Instincts are still developing in coverage — prone to getting fooled by play action and misdirection  and will have trouble locating the ball at times. Sometimes gets lost in space. Plays too shallow sometimes and doesn’t cut off enough of the field.

Still developing physically, too. Carries his weight well but needs to add take-on  strength. Isn’t a Brandon Spikes-type of linebacker and could add a little more nastiness as a hitter.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He definitely needs more nastiness. I remember Dick Butkus saying his fondest wish was to hit a guy so hard that his head would come off and roll down the field. Aside from his other shortcomings, Edmunds could use some of that moxie.

• Like (+1) 1

Know what I thought when I saw this?

That you'd loaded the dice. That there was a reason that you hadn't given the link, and that the reason was that you had extracted the exact worst little excerpts and left out the good bits.

And Golly gee whiz, turns out I was right, and you were cherry-picking the worst stuff

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/190028-tremaine-edmunds-virginia-tech/page64/

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, LB48 said:

It's been 3 years since this report.  I don't see any improvement in his play - - maybe dropping off. 

What do you think?

Gap integrity looks like that of a 19-year old. Will take the wrong gap and watch runners go where he should have been. Eyes get too big — gets greedy and will overplay the ball. Takes on blockers at poor angles and gets cleaned out of plays. Has to key better on OL movement and diagnose run plays just a hair faster. Doesn’t use his hands well enough at this point to stack and shed interior OL blocks. Can get blown up by crack-back blocks — must do better job of keeping head on a swivel.

Instincts are still developing in coverage — prone to getting fooled by play action and misdirection  and will have trouble locating the ball at times. Sometimes gets lost in space. Plays too shallow sometimes and doesn’t cut off enough of the field.

Still developing physically, too. Carries his weight well but needs to add take-on  strength. Isn’t a Brandon Spikes-type of linebacker and could add a little more nastiness as a hitter.

thats because he pretty much IS a 19 year old.  He will improve as he plays more.  My guess is the shoulder is much worse than we know and he cannot punch.  but they need him in coverage and to call the defense, so.. there it is.. Tyrol Dodson is the alternative.  yikes. 

To continue, funny how you left out this part of the same report:

"

The Way We See It: A true junior, Edmunds is a unique prospect -- it's not often that we see inside linebackers who are close to 6-foot-5. Very productive college player, but he is more of a reactor than an anticipator. In the NFL, instincts matter at the LB position. He can get tall at times, but Edmunds still uses his hands well to shed. He's better in pursuit than defending runs right at him. Needs to make a few more plays at or near the LOS (line of scrimmage). Very good coverage guy who gets depth with his drop and can play man. Plants and closes on the ball quickly. Not used a lot as a blitzer/pass rusher and needs to develop his pass rush technique. Overall, Edmunds is a very good prospect who is not quite there yet. With his frame, he might be better off outside, but if he plays there he needs to improve his pass rush skills. Has a lot of upside. He will be graded differently by each club depending on their profile for the position. With his size and athleticism, he has some Brian Urlacher to him -- but he's not Urlacher. He can control the middle of the field in zone similarly to what Urlacher was able to do. I'm not as high as others on Edmunds because he doesn't have top instincts, but at his age they will get better. Could be a top-10 guy.

Upside:

Long, massive and rangy defender — great arm length, explosiveness, athletic profile and size-speed combination. Can't draw them up too much better for the position. Great athleticism on display at combine shows up on tape too. Natural strength is impressive, and he's got a lot of room to develop and get stronger. Keeps his feet moving and can pivot and change directions with ease. Closes on the ball in a hurry.
Will break extremely fast on underneath passes thrown in his area. Watch this film-study play where Edmunds reads the eyes of Miami (Fla.) QB Malik Rosier and breaks on the drag route to break up the pass nicely:

https://giphy.com/gifs/ZcbIem1AaGDlSTwCaV

Can pinball off blockers and keep his momentum going toward the ball. Squares his shoulders nicely and plays with a downhill thump and purpose. Effective rusher who can scream off the edge, arrive quickly on a green-dog blitz or loop around on stunts. Explosive when working downhill, especially in the run game. Sets a good, hard edge against the run, especially in goal line and short yardage.

Tackling is strong, especially for such a young player and particulary in space. Closes nicely from depth and hits his targets. Scrapes down the line, keeps his balance and can shed blocks on the move. Wraps up and closes the deal with his condor wingspan and good burst. Rarely whiffs, and at the very worst he can slow down ballcarriers for others to finish off the play.

Has template to be a good coverage player. Rare that a 250-pound player can check backs and tight ends in man coverage, but he can carry them past the second level. Even occasionally matched up with receivers. Has the athleticism to be a Tampa-2 "Mike" and drop into deep zones. Loose hips — can turn and run in a flash. Will read quarterbacks' eyes for tells. Tries to bait them into throwing to his man, knowing he can make up the distance in a jiffy.

Highly productive player. Always seems to make 2-3 disruptive plays per game. Clean medical history — no known injuries at Tech. Strong character marks from NFL teams.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

So, basically, you're full of it.

It's not even remotely fair what you did there, cherry-picking the worst small bits from an overall excellent report ...

... and then not posting the link because you didn't want people to be able to check your extremely shoddy, biased, petty work.

Again, for those who want to see the whole report, it's very positive, but definitely does have some warnings. I didn't repost the negatives since the OP had already done it. Best is to look at the whole thing. Here it is:

https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/190028-tremaine-edmunds-virginia-tech/page64/

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I actually really appreciate Edmunds as a tackler. He wraps when he tackles and I don't see him bounce off as often as a lot of the NFL. Rugby style tackling might not be as flashy, but it sure works better than some of the ***** you see out there.

The OP approached this like a politician...half truths at best. Printing only the negative portion of a much longer generally very positive assessment without including the link is deceptive. 

What's funny is I don't disagree with where he's going with the point  being made about Edmunds. But the 'sleaziness' of presenting it this way turns people off to his argument when a few additional words clarifying these were the negatives only, and including the link, would have gone further towards perception of the validity of his opinion. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LB48 said:

It's been 3 years since this report.  I don't see any improvement in his play - - maybe dropping off. 

What do you think?

OP, please give your source.  If it’s your work, let us know.  

If it’s someone else’s work, they should be given credit. 

Thanks!

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

So, basically, you're full of it.

It's not even remotely fair what you did there, cherry-picking the worst small bits from an overall excellent report ...

... and then not posting the link because you didn't want people to be able to check your extremely shoddy, biased, petty work.

Again, for those who want to see the whole report, it's very positive, but definitely does have some warnings. I didn't repost the negatives since the OP had already done it. Best is to look at the whole thing. Here it is:

Well done. Seemed a little shady the way the op was put together