JJ Watt Trade Block?

37 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Maybe you should read the title again.  "JJ Watt Trade Block?"

Do you realize there is a question mark there, do you know what that signifies?

Based on nothing but speculation. Try adding that.

6 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

LOL. ok, I guess we need to add that to about half the titles of threads because after all there is no speculation here.  Again the question mark is there for a reason, some comprehend it, others apparently don't..

The question mark can be interpreted many ways, such as "JJ Watt has been added to the trade block? Wow, that's crazy because he is a household name."

This is just another dumb "trade for this guy because I want him" thread. JJ Watt isn't available and likely never will be.

Don't think this is possible thanks to Trent Murhpy's deadcap number of 8.7M. Even if you cut/trade him you only save 1M off the cap, leaving the Bills with just 5M in space, leaving 10M the Bills would need to find. Now Texans only have 7M in space, so even if you could convince them to convert 7M of Watt's salary into a signing bonus by tossing extra picks their way, that still leaves 3M that Bills would need to clear. You would have to cut 3-4 players off the back end of the 53 man roster, and replace them with practice squad players. 

With that said, Watt's contract is team friendly. He carries no dead cap penalty, so if the Bills traded for him, they could either extend him or cut him with no penalty in the off season. 

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Cant fit him in the Cap.  Like I said in the Yannick Thread, I think the money and cap is going to tie us to this defense this year, we will live or die with this current defense. 

The dramatic changes come in the offseason.

Hughes (7M savings)

Addison (6M Savings)

Vernon Butler (7M Savings)

Are guys who I think are definitely gone. You could also see them move on from both Poyer and Hyde. 

7 minutes ago, appoo said:

Don't think this is possible thanks to Trent Murhpy's deadcap number of 8.7M. Even if you cut/trade him you only save 1M off the cap, leaving the Bills with just 5M in space, leaving 10M the Bills would need to find. Now Texans only have 7M in space, so even if you could convince them to convert 7M of Watt's salary into a signing bonus by tossing extra picks their way, that still leaves 3M that Bills would need to clear. You would have to cut 3-4 players off the back end of the 53 man roster, and replace them with practice squad players. 

With that said, Watt's contract is team friendly. He carries no dead cap penalty, so if the Bills traded for him, they could either extend him or cut him with no penalty in the off season. 

Hughes (7M savings)

Addison (6M Savings)

Are guys who I think are definitely gone. You could also see them move on from both Poyer and Hyde. 

Yeah can fit him in the cap NEXT year.  Cannot fit him in the cap this year, unless you are cutting multiple players.  And next year would we want an Aging JJ Watt who hasent looked himself in awhile......  Or would you like that space on a Judon or a younger UFA that is going to hit the market.  Baltimore has a decision to make with Judon and Yannick (only going to keep one IMO).  Or Even a Hunter (likely will be out of Minny as well next year).

Edited by MAJBobby

22 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Ah yes.  To the man that can always find a camera, JJ Watt says he want to bring a championship to Houston and that remains his goal.

His comments are going to start phones ringing off the hook on Kirby Drive.  JJ Watt is 31 years old and the prospects of the Texans winning a championship[ this year are unbelievably low with a 1-5 record.  The Texans future has largely been demolished with three potential superstars careers being wasted to date, De Andre Hopkins, Deshaun Watson and Watt. Only Hopkins has gotten away with one of the most epically bad trades in NFL history.  The future for the Texans is not bright at all, the football "guru" Bill O 'Brien traded away both first two picks in 2021 so the Texans 2020 demise accrues to the Dolphins.  And I also believe the Mcnair ownership legacy has been a failure.  The odds of the Texans puilling out of their tail spin are likely far beyond the playing horizon of Watt. 

The desperate need for quality D Line play in Buffalo is obvious and Watt might be convinced with him, his leadership and his ego, the Bills could go deep in the playoffs.  I dont disagree but I also dont want JJ here for what it would cost.

Watt is in a demi-God status in Houston.  The Houston fan base remains enraged over the Hopkins trade and trading away the face of the franchise will be very costly, must likely to a team like the Bills, the Texans would demand a #1 at least.  To me that is too high for his remaining productivity and his recent injury history.  Would it be worth if it it got us to the Super Bowl, much less win one, I would say absolutely but I dont like the risk/reward.

I don’t think he gets the Texans a 1st rounder.  Big salary with too many injuries.   

3 hours ago, appoo said:

Hughes (7M savings)

Addison (6M Savings)

Agree.  They need almost a complete reset on defense.  They are old, and need to inject some life back into the unit.

Poyer is still a very good in the box safety, so he may survive, but both he and Hyde are struggling in coverage.

On 10/21/2020 at 5:52 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

Ah yes.  To the man that can always find a camera, JJ Watt says he want to bring a championship to Houston and that remains his goal.

His comments are going to start phones ringing off the hook on Kirby Drive.  JJ Watt is 31 years old and the prospects of the Texans winning a championship[ this year are unbelievably low with a 1-5 record.  The Texans future has largely been demolished with three potential superstars careers being wasted to date, De Andre Hopkins, Deshaun Watson and Watt. Only Hopkins has gotten away with one of the most epically bad trades in NFL history.  The future for the Texans is not bright at all, the football "guru" Bill O 'Brien traded away both first two picks in 2021 so the Texans 2020 demise accrues to the Dolphins.  And I also believe the Mcnair ownership legacy has been a failure.  The odds of the Texans puilling out of their tail spin are likely far beyond the playing horizon of Watt. 

The desperate need for quality D Line play in Buffalo is obvious and Watt might be convinced with him, his leadership and his ego, the Bills could go deep in the playoffs.  I dont disagree but I also dont want JJ here for what it would cost.

Watt is in a demi-God status in Houston.  The Houston fan base remains enraged over the Hopkins trade and trading away the face of the franchise will be very costly, must likely to a team like the Bills, the Texans would demand a #1 at least.  To me that is too high for his remaining productivity and his recent injury history.  Would it be worth if it it got us to the Super Bowl, much less win one, I would say absolutely but I dont like the risk/reward.

I would be all over this , with his injuries and their crap record he could be had for a decent price.

On 10/21/2020 at 5:54 PM, ILBillsfan said:

would kill the Bills salary cap to try to bring in Watt as you mention in your post.

Cap shmap , we need to win now.