JJ Watt Trade Block?

Ah yes.  To the man that can always find a camera, JJ Watt says he want to bring a championship to Houston and that remains his goal.

His comments are going to start phones ringing off the hook on Kirby Drive.  JJ Watt is 31 years old and the prospects of the Texans winning a championship[ this year are unbelievably low with a 1-5 record.  The Texans future has largely been demolished with three potential superstars careers being wasted to date, De Andre Hopkins, Deshaun Watson and Watt. Only Hopkins has gotten away with one of the most epically bad trades in NFL history.  The future for the Texans is not bright at all, the football "guru" Bill O 'Brien traded away both first two picks in 2021 so the Texans 2020 demise accrues to the Dolphins.  And I also believe the Mcnair ownership legacy has been a failure.  The odds of the Texans puilling out of their tail spin are likely far beyond the playing horizon of Watt. 

The desperate need for quality D Line play in Buffalo is obvious and Watt might be convinced with him, his leadership and his ego, the Bills could go deep in the playoffs.  I dont disagree but I also dont want JJ here for what it would cost.

Watt is in a demi-God status in Houston.  The Houston fan base remains enraged over the Hopkins trade and trading away the face of the franchise will be very costly, must likely to a team like the Bills, the Texans would demand a #1 at least.  To me that is too high for his remaining productivity and his recent injury history.  Would it be worth if it it got us to the Super Bowl, much less win one, I would say absolutely but I dont like the risk/reward.

• Like (+1) 2

Not sure how we could fit a guy like this under the cap anyway.  We're right up against it as it is.  Would take some major finagling with the cap.  Also, who knows what they would be asking for in a trade.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 3

I would compare the possibility of Watt coming to the Bills to when the Trent Edwards-lead Bills were trying to get Tony Gonzalez from KC. 

We were pretty bent about TG re-buffing the Bills interest........... but turned out that Matty Ice and squad was in-fact much > Dickie J and ol' Trend Downwards.

On the surface any objective observer is going to put 5-7 teams clearly ahead of the Bills wrt SB chances.

Trading for a player with much less control is more likely.

17 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

, the Texans would demand a #1 at least.  To me that is too high for his remaining productivity and his recent injury history.  Would it be worth if it it got us to the Super Bowl, much less win one, I would say absolutely but I dont like the risk/reward.

Major issues are the draft compensation and status of his health. For 1.5 years, If we get 80% of the player that has terrorized Bills QBs I would really like to have him. He is the kind of disruptive force that makes the overall DL better. 

6 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I mentioned this after week 4 and  some of the fanboys said we don't need him,  we have plenty better right now because they know so much about the game.  Sean will fix the defense some of the clowns kept saying.  I for one would trade them expiring Murphy contract and a 4th rounder,  may need to add another player to make the deal work because of salary cap.  The value for Houston is they don't have to pay him next season and getting the 4th

As much as the Texans management is hated now, that hatred would double if the traded JJ  W for Murohy and a 4th, heck i would love a trade like that.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I mentioned this after week 4 and  some of the fanboys said we don't need him,  we have plenty better right now because they know so much about the game.  Sean will fix the defense some of the clowns kept saying.  I for one would trade them expiring Murphy contract and a 4th rounder,  may need to add another player to make the deal work because of salary cap.  The value for Houston is they don't have to pay him next season and getting the 4th

this would be amazing if it could be done.  I don’t think Houston will do it for a 4th.  That said, I hop we try. I’d offer a 2nd.  

Edited by RyanC883

Just now, Hebert19 said:

You guy Murphy and its a fine option.  CBS had us trading for Sheldon rankins.   I'd rather have watt.  :)

I do not thinking anyone is trading for Murphy as releasing still keeps the Bilsl on the hooks for his salary thus not much room

12 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

This scenario of trading Murphy in a deal for Watt is the stuff that happens in Madden and kill next years salary cap so again your not getting good value

Edited by ILBillsfan

If the Bills are making a big splash I would target Yannick from Minny. JJ Watt is toast, the Bills need younger or prime talent not an overpaid once great player. Give up a 2nd rounder and a 6th rounder and Murphy (as salary filler) and see if Minny bites. Yannick would greatly impact the pass rush and set the edge. Another name to keep an eye on for a more modest trade would be Dalvin Tomlinson. He is a DT from the Giants who is on the last year of his rookie deal. He is a big run stuffer (6 foot 3 320 pounds) very effective but the Giants might not have him in their long term plans with Leonard Williams and Dexter Lawrence being heavy investments at the position. 

I would float a 4th round pick for Tomlinson, he shouldn't impact the cap much and could be just what the middle of the defense needs at the right price both in terms of the cap and in terms of the draft capital needed to acquire him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1