TACKLING

I was aware of the stats that indicated going in that we were one of the worst tackling teams in the league. But it appeared really pronounced against K.C. Even when guys were in position to make plays, they didn't. The smallest running back in the league dragged 3-4 tacklers 5 yards.

I used to believe all the hype about how well coached we were.  Is it the players or the coaches? hard to think of any defender other than White and maybe Milano that we need to keep going forward.

3 minutes ago, Wagon Circler said:

I was aware of the stats that indicated going in that we were one of the worst tackling teams in the league. But it appeared really pronounced against K.C. Even when guys were in position to make plays, they didn't. The smallest running back in the league dragged 3-4 tacklers 5 yards.

I used to believe all the hype about how well coached we were.  Is it the players or the coaches? hard to think of any defender other than White and maybe Milano that we need to keep going forward.

1) you’re giving white a pass on tacking?

2) how is firing most of the defense circling the wagons? 

47 minutes ago, Wagon Circler said:

Wagon Circler-Are you Chris Berman in disguise?  LOL

Your statement is sad but true.  (Great Metallica song btw)  The talent on Defense has fallen off a cliff.  The past two years losing Kyle Williams and LoRax to retirement.  And letting Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson go has crippled our defense.  Combine that with the lack of development of Tremaine Edmunds (guy is not an NFL starter-I would cut him after this season if no improvement) and Ed Oliver and the free agents who we signed playing lousy, and you have a bottom 5 defense that plays with no intensity whatsoever.  

The next two weeks against the Jets and Pats may be the two most important games of the McBeane era.  When the wheels start coming off and the players lose faith in what the coaches are selling, getting back on course can be very difficult.  I have been following the team since the mid 70's.  Thought this was the year we return to the glory of the early 90's.  Not so sure McDermott has what it takes to coach a team to play championship caliber football.  And not sure if Beane can get us the players we need to do that either.  Getting Diggs and Josh Allen was genius.  But the O and D lines are incredibly weak right now.  And if this level of play continues we will be lucky to finish 8-8 which should not be acceptable to the Pegulas.  

• Haha (+1) 1

interesting stat here re: how bad the tackling was, from D&C article:  

According to ESPN, 197 of the rushing yards came after first contact, an indictment on the Bills’ poor tackling, which was confirmed by Pro Football Focus as it had the Bills with 12 missed tackles.”

missing assignments, can’t tackle.  the “talent” on this D is almost nonexistent.  

Edited by RyanC883
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Wagon Circler-Are you Chris Berman in disguise?  LOL

Your statement is sad but true.  (Great Metallica song btw)  The talent on Defense has fallen off a cliff.  The past two years losing Kyle Williams and LoRax to retirement.  And letting Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson go has crippled our defense.  Combine that with the lack of development of Tremaine Edmunds (guy is not an NFL starter-I would cut him after this season if no improvement) and Ed Oliver and the free agents who we signed playing lousy, and you have a bottom 5 defense that plays with no intensity whatsoever.  

The next two weeks against the Jets and Pats may be the two most important games of the McBeane era.  When the wheels start coming off and the players lose faith in what the coaches are selling, getting back on course can be very difficult.  I have been following the team since the mid 70's.  Thought this was the year we return to the glory of the early 90's.  Not so sure McDermott has what it takes to coach a team to play championship caliber football.  And not sure if Beane can get us the players we need to do that either.  Getting Diggs and Josh Allen was genius.  But the O and D lines are incredibly weak right now.  And if this level of play continues we will be lucky to finish 8-8 which should not be acceptable to the Pegulas.  

whew lad! Muy picante!

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Wagon Circler said:

They've been a VERY poor tackling team that is also sometimes just atrocious against the run for 4 seasons now.  

In general it has worked.

3 hours ago, H2o said:

RE: The most appropriate gif response to this tweet (BYUheaven) -  CougarBoard.com

Water sucks! It really, really sucks! 😃 

Yes, perhaps we should tackle better...or simply have each man play their 1/11th which they are clearly not doing. Ever heard the term, ‘staying home’? Our ends are failing miserably in that area and it’s eating the team alive. 

EDIT: I’ll add that watching Bills games at times is like watching SEC games and there is half the field while open or a straight line to the end zone. It really is amazing to me. So fundamental but also overlooked for what I can only guess is the ‘big play’. 

Edited by TroutDog