Bills personnel moves - Who has more say?

LabattBlue

I don't consider the O-line to be a huge issue. Both tackles are playing well, Mitch is a good center, and I think Ford at the guard position will pan out. Winters is a below average player but not a bad backup to have, Mongo should come back and help that guard situation. Yes they aren't run blocking well but they are protecting Josh and I think the issues with the run game are more so to do with how impactful Josh has been through the air and Mongo's absence. 

The D-line on the other hand has been a complete disaster I fully agree. Ironically Jefferson and Addison have done their parts for the most part. Its been Star's opt out, Hughes regressing with age, Harrison seemingly not being recovered from his injury, Murphy not being effective, Ed Oliver not progressing and AJ not having an impact due to the weird off-season are all big issues that are causing the defense to regress. 

I would overall say that the team needs to target a player like Delvin Tomlinson, he would bring solid size and strength up the middle and cap wise is cheap and draft capital wise wouldn't cost too much either. He would be a nice rental that the team could sign long term (would love to see Tomlinson and Star as the grinders, Oliver and Jefferson as the pass rushers.) 

It's not a closely guarded secret. In fact, it's out there publicly.

McBeane controls the 52 man roster. He wanted that as a condition of joining the team. 

On the other hand, he's trying to give McDermott what he wants and needs to run his schema, so McDermott has a lot of input. But McBeane makes the decisions.

6 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

It's a mutual decision. If they don't agree after discussing pros/cons/whateverelse then they don't do it or find an alternate solution.

6 hours ago, BigdaddyinOrlando said:

These guys work in tandem and I believe all are involved and have respected opinions and thoughts 

It can't exclusively work this way.  At some point, decisions are going to have to be made, they are not going to agree how to do it.

The guy who decides what to do in that situation is the one with the power.

It's a great question by the OP: I have been wondering about this myself ever since Beane came  on board.

My guess is McDermott is the boss in the relationship.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It can't exclusively work this way.  At some point, decisions are going to have to be made, they are not going to agree how to do it.

It's a great question by the OP: I have been wondering about this myself ever since Beane came  on board.

I think the same thing. McD was hired first. Beane brought in second. McD was extended, Beane has not been yet. They work in tandem, but I agree, McD is captain of this ship. 

That doesn’t mean Beane doesn’t have a sense of autonomy on certain things, FA’s, scouting, etc. 

20 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

They talked about it in a video last offseason I think; McDermott and Beane hashing things out in a room between themselves and/or other concerned parties.

There must be situations where one side "wins" but the only one with the official "final say" is Pegula, if it ever even came to that. I doubt either guy is ever pulling rank over the other. Each believes in the same process of coming to the logical conclusion as a leadership group.

19 hours ago, Back the Blue said:

I’m sure it is a closely guarded secret at OBD, but how much say do you think McD has in terms of personnel?  I’m not talking about who starts and who sits, I’m referring to what players are signed, traded,  and drafted, and which players either don’t make the 53 man roster, or in the case of Spain, cut loose in mid-season. 

Bottom line...how much blame goes to McD for the OL and DL disasters despite $$$ thrown at the problem?

From what they've both said, I think Beane makes the moves and that at times, he's made some in-season or close-to-season moves that took McDermott by surprise and McDermott didn't approve of

Beane has also indicated he and his staff perform their own evaluation of the players on the Bills roster for negotiating contracts and evaluating what they're worth, as well as taking input from the coaches.  So if his perception or evaluation of a guy differs from the coaches and he brings in a player he thinks is just as talented but that player is not...Oh Well.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's not a closely guarded secret. In fact, it's out there publicly.

McBeane controls the 52 man roster. He wanted that as a condition of joining the team. 

On the other hand, he's trying to give McDermott what he wants and needs to run his schema, so McDermott has a lot of input. But McBeane makes the decisions.

Ok so which position does Beane control - Punter, place kicker or long snapper?

18 hours ago, Mango said:

I think the same thing. McD was hired first. Beane brought in second. McD was extended, Beane has not been yet. They work in tandem, but I agree, McD is captain of this ship. 

That doesn’t mean Beane doesn’t have a sense of autonomy on certain things, FA’s, scouting, etc. 

But someone changed along the way somewhere. 

Because when McDermott came to Buffalo he sounded like a Defensive Coordinator when talking about offense. He wanted a physical run game, he talked about Special Teams, controlling the line of scrimmage, snowy weather. 

Then 2017 happened, with the Watkins being traded, being left with Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones, Jordan Matthews, Deonte Thompson, Charles Clay, McCoy, Tolbert, Cadet. 

In 2018, then we draft Allen, and he is not effective as a rookie, with the following: Zay Jones again, Robert Foster, Benjamin, Andre Holmes, Jason Croom, McCoy, I think the FO at OBD made a decision. 

Because finally in 2019, the Bills tried at WR, bringing in Brown and Beasley, we finally moved off paying homage to McCoy's career. 

• Like (+1) 1