Bills personnel moves - Who has more say?

LabattBlue

I’m sure it is a closely guarded secret at OBD, but how much say do you think McD has in terms of personnel?  I’m not talking about who starts and who sits, I’m referring to what players are signed, traded,  and drafted, and which players either don’t make the 53 man roster, or in the case of Spain, cut loose in mid-season. 

Bottom line...how much blame goes to McD for the OL and DL disasters despite $$$ thrown at the problem?

Edited by Back the Blue
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Back the Blue said:

I’m sure it is a closely guarded secret at OBD, but how much say do you think McD has in terms of personnel?  I’m not talking about who starts and who sits, I’m referring to what players are signed, traded,  and drafted, and which players either don’t make the 53 man roster, or in the case of Spain, cut loose in mid-season. 

Bottom line...how much blame goes to McD for the OL and DL disasters despite $$$ thrown at the problem?

So when the team was scoring 30 points a game almost in the first four games the OL was a disaster?  We lose to the two teams in last years AFC Championship game and the OL is a problem? To me it was poor game planning, no half time adjustments and poor overall play not just the line.  As for the DL I have said this before not having Star is a big loss.  He didn't show up on the stat sheet but he made/makes if easier for the other DL and our LBs.  If I were Beane I'd call his pal Gettleman and trade for Dalvin Tomlinson like Ryan Talbot from Syracuse.com suggested.

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, Greg S said:

I just hope Terry and Kim don't get involved in the football decisions.

They don't get involved in football or hockey decisions, contrary to popular belief.

I don't think the Sabres pay $8M for the best free agent on the market, if the Pegulas are calling the shots.

And I don't take Beane and McDermott as the kind of guys who would put up with the Pegulas sticking their nose in the football aspect of things.

It's time this idea dies. They are the owners and nothing more. They hire people and let them do their jobs.

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, BillsFanThru-N-Thru said:

So when the team was scoring 30 points a game almost in the first four games the OL was a disaster?  We lose to the two teams in last years AFC Championship game and the OL is a problem? To me it was poor game planning, no half time adjustments and poor overall play not just the line.  As for the DL I have said this before not having Star is a big loss.  He didn't show up on the stat sheet but he made/makes if easier for the other DL and our LBs.  If I were Beane I'd call his pal Gettleman and trade for Dalvin Tomlinson like Ryan Talbot from Syracuse.com suggested.

In terms of the running game, yes. 

There is no question they can pass block very well; they are very suspect in the ground game.  

The only question I have is it that way by design?  

Is the reason we have small shifty running backs so they can squeak through tight cracks? 

Was pass protection for Allen's development more important then a mauling ground and pound Oline? 

I'm not in the war room so I can only speculate, but the Oline is definitely sub par in run blocking. 

Edited by TwistofFate

1 hour ago, Back the Blue said:

With the trade for Diggs, the attempted trade for Brown, and moving away from guys like Chris Ivory, Mike Tolbert, Pat DiMarco, Frank Gore, I am going to conclude that Beane is pushing more of the direction now, because McDermott came in talking about the physical run game/snowy weather. 

With that said, both Beane and McDermott are obsessed with ex-Panthers to their detriment. 

Tasker brought up a good comparison on One Bills Live today.  He mentioned how, in 2018, the Bills let Richie Incognito go, but after the move Wood announced his retirement due to injury.  He said at that late date, there was nothing Buffalo could do about it as they thought they were going to be set on the o line.  This year, Buffalo makes the decisions it makes regarding Philips and Lawson.  They bring in Jefferson and Butler figuring they'd be ample replacements...and then Star, a big piece of their D line, decides to opt out.  In hindsight, would the team have made the decisions they made knowing there would be a huge loss in continuity?

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, MJS said:

It's pretty easy to see that both Beane AND McDermott both have a lot of say. They work together.

I agree, and good partnerships are hard to beat.  Either one, though, likely has the right to insist.  Its just that they mostly don't and work out the best decision for the team.  Neither one is in contract jepordy, so good decisions are easier by far.  2+2= more than 4 in this circumstance imho.

I think McDermott has been selling Beane on what he needs for defense, while Beane has been in charge of the offensive side of the ball more. I also think McDermott has thought he could get by with ‘less’ talent on D due to his scheme. This hasn’t been the case this year for a few reasons, one being opt outs and injuries. Starr and Gaines hurt depth at two critical spots. 
Not addressing LB better has been a huge issue. Klein was seen by McDermott I bet, as an acceptable Lorenzo replacement. This was a big whiff thus far. 

I think...

Beane (in consultation with McD) decides who to draft, what FAs to sign, who to trade away, and who to trade for.

I think McD (in consultation with Beane) decides who to cut and who to keep.   And he probably has a lot of say in the trade-away category.

I think they deserve roughly equal credit for our 4 wins and equal blame for our 2 losses.

Edited by hondo in seattle