Quinton Spain released; signs with Bengals PS

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Without question, yes. I honestly do not even think it is close. 

Yeah, I remember now - before he was cut, you were pretty emphatic for several games about "why is our best guard sitting on the bench"

Something happened other than him playing poorly against Miami IMO. You don't bench a guard who played really well for you last season and who you decided to pay and then who played well week 1 for one bad game. 

Conspiracy theories and hidden reasons are always possible, but it's also possible that face value is true - that Spain was benched for what the coaches, who know the blocking assignments on every play, perceived as poor play.  Eric Wood did a great interview where he gave examples of plays that were graded as "fails" by him where at the time it was a whiff by the guy next to him and how the coaches extended him at a point where he was being graded something like the worst run blocking guard in football "and  I can guarantee with the extension, that's not how the coaches saw it".

It's quite possible that there was an added reason such as losing committment or having a poor attitude when called out or after being benched, so we could have a point of agreement

I suspect he got frustrated they couldn't get the run game going and called someone - likely a coach - out. 

LOL!  Gunner, really?  Let's look at all the things that have to be true here.  HE got frustrated about the run game and HE called the coaches out?  Don't you think the coaches are the ones frustrated about that and calling the PLAYERS out?  Instead HE, knowing better than the coaches what the real problem is, called them out? 

I'm sure Spain would love your theory, but I think it's more likely that the coaches 1) benched him for poor play 2) called him out as to what they expected him to do differently and 3) may well have seen Ford as a better starting choice going forward and decided Spain's role would be swing backup

Now whether you're a better evaluator of guard play than our coaches or not, I'm not going to go there.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, I remember now - before he was cut, you were pretty emphatic for several games about "why is our best guard sitting on the bench"

Conspiracy theories and hidden reasons are always possible, but it's also possible that face value is true - that Spain was benched for what the coaches, who know the blocking assignments on every play, perceived as poor play.  Eric Wood did a great interview where he gave examples of plays that were graded as "fails" by him where at the time it was a whiff by the guy next to him and how the coaches extended him at a point where he was being graded something like the worst run blocking guard in football "and  I can guarantee with the extension, that's not how the coaches saw it".

It's quite possible that there was an added reason such as losing committment or having a poor attitude when called out or after being benched, so we could have a point of agreement

LOL!  Gunner, really?  Let's look at all the things that have to be true here.  HE got frustrated about the run game and HE called the coaches out?  Don't you think the coaches are the ones frustrated about that and calling the PLAYERS out?  Instead HE, knowing better than the coaches what the real problem is, called them out? 

I'm sure Spain would love your theory, but I think it's more likely that the coaches 1) benched him for poor play 2) called him out as to what they expected him to do differently and 3) may well have seen Ford as a better starting choice going forward and decided Spain's role would be swing backup

Now whether you're a better evaluator of guard play than our coaches or not, I'm not going to go there.

I just don't think the evidence supports it. Because they just extended him and made him a priority extension. So either the coaches and the front office are at loggerheads (I don't believe that) or something changed dramatically. He played poorly at Miami now if they really changed course so quickly on the basis of that one performance then Spain has a right to be utterly pissed. 

EDIT: and I don't think I am a better evaluator of guard play that our coaches. But I also don't believe Spain was benched purely for play. There is more to this. 

Edited by GunnerBill

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I just don't think the evidence supports it. Because they just extended him and made him a priority extension. So either the coaches and the front office are at loggerheads (I don't believe that) or something changed dramatically. He played poorly at Miami now if they really changed course so quickly on the basis of that one performance then Spain has a right to be utterly pissed.

Just because they extended him, it doesn't mean he's going to continue his high level of play.  Look at Dareus. 

And okay, so he got benched, which in his mind was unfair.  Keep working hard and you might get a chance to redeem yourself, like he would have last and this coming weekend.  Instead he has to settle for the Bengals.

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Just because they extended him, it doesn't mean he's going to continue his high level of play.  Look at Dareus. 

And okay, so he got benched, which in his mind was unfair.  Keep working hard and you might get a chance to redeem yourself, like he would have last and this coming weekend.  Instead he has to settle for the Bengals.

I am not saying it does. He did not play well at Miami that is an undisputable fact. I am saying you don't extend someone then after 1 bad game check out unless there is something off the field going on. If they did and he got pissed and threw the towel in I agree that he shouldn't have but frankly I would understand it. I'd be like "get me the hell out of here" too.

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not saying it does. He did not play well at Miami that is an undisputable fact. I am saying you don't extend someone then after 1 bad game check out unless there is something off the field going on. If they did and he got pissed and threw the towel in I agree that he shouldn't have but frankly I would understand it. I'd be like "get me the hell out of here" too.

I can't believe it was just because of the Miami game.  Or calling out a coach. 

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

I can't believe it was just because of the Miami game.  Or calling out a coach. 

Calling out a coach was speculation on my part but we agree it was not just the Miami game. There was something other than on field play. Whether that was calling out a coach, attitude, commitment... whatever. They didn't just bench him because they think Ford and Winters are better. That is my point. I think the chances of that are remote. If they did you are left with the conclusion that the front office and the coaching staff did not agree on the extension and I just don't believe that about this regime because I believe McDermott would have the power to veto.

On 10/28/2020 at 6:38 PM, GunnerBill said:

EDIT: and I don't think I am a better evaluator of guard play that our coaches. But I also don't believe Spain was benched purely for play. There is more to this. 

Poor play got him benched, and then he ran his mouth, repeatedly, combined with poor attitude is the likely answer imo. Oh well,  Its spilled milk at this point. 

46 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Poor play got him benched, and then he ran his mouth, repeatedly, combined with poor attitude is the likely answer imo. Oh well,  Its spilled milk at this point. 

Poor play in one game? That is what I don't buy. You don't extend someone and after 1 good game and one bad one then bench them. He got benched for something other than just his performance in Miami. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Poor play in one game? That is what I don't buy. You don't extend someone and after 1 good game and one bad one then bench them. He got benched for something other than just his performance in Miami. 

Well, “if” he copped an attitude and ran his mouth a bunch after being benched, and didn’t adult up and stay with the program, and then on top of that, claimed a mystery foot injury hours before an upcoming game, then yes, he got himself fired. You just can’t have such behavior in your organization.

The Bills handled this quietly and professionally and did not disparage him publicly in any way.

Its hard to know obviously, but I have let people go from their employment for similar behavior. 

Imo they likely told him to step back and realize his reality, and he refused, so in such case he’s gone. That’s just how I see it. This also sets an excellent example of expectations for the rest of the employees.

Edited by Don Otreply

On 10/28/2020 at 6:38 PM, GunnerBill said:

...I'd bet it had something to do with his "last minute injury" which was spawned from his hissy fit about losing his starting job.......Jesus, if you just extended the guy and he has A hissy fit, thus showing him the door, imagine if the purported Antonio Brown deal went through??..............is the brass a bit testy?......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Well, “if” he copped an attitude and ran his mouth a bunch after being benched, and didn’t adult up and stay with the program, and then on top of that, claimed a mystery foot injury hours before an upcoming game, then yes, he got himself fired. You just can’t have such behavior in your organization.

The Bills handled this quietly and professionally and did not disparage him publicly in any way.

Its hard to know obviously, but I have let people go from their employment for similar behavior. 

Imo they likely told him to step back and realize his reality, and he refused, so in such case he’s gone. That’s just how I see it. This also sets an excellent example of expectations for the rest of the employees.

I don't disagree with any of that. All I ever said was something has gone on aside from one bad game in week 2 to bench a guy they just extended.

32 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...I'd bet it had something to do with his "last minute injury" which was spawned from his hissy fit about losing his starting job.......Jesus, if you just extended the guy and he has A hissy fit, thus showing him the door, imagine if the purported Antonio Brown deal went through??..............is the brass a bit testy?......

Again... not what I was disputing. His release I kind of understand. My disagreement with people here is about what led to him losing his starting job. It wasn't 1 bad performance alone there was something going on already off the field.

Edited by GunnerBill

26 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Covid clearance?

Need covid clearance just as much for practice squad as for regular roster.

My guess is they want him to learn the playbook without taking up a roster spot or giving him any guaranteed money, and also suss out if he has any behavioral issues that would make him a non-issue.  If another team comes knocking they can elevate.

From his point of view, why not?  The Bills are still paying him, so it's not like he can't keep buying bling watches and monogrammed shirts.  But I have the impression he thought a couple of contending teams were going to call his agent and solicit his services, so it's a bit of a come-down to suit up for a PS.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My guess is they want him to learn the playbook without taking up a roster spot or giving him any guaranteed money.  The Bills are still paying him.

Perhaps Bills didnt screw up this one. Took a week and a half to find a suitable team? 

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My guess is they want him to learn the playbook without taking up a roster spot or giving him any guaranteed money, and also suss out if he has any behavioral issues that would make him a non-issue.  If another team comes knocking they can elevate.

From his point of view, why not?  The Bills are still paying him, so it's not like he can't keep buying bling watches and monogrammed shirts.  But I have the impression he thought a couple of contending teams were going to call his agent and solicit his services, so it's a bit of a come-down to suit up for a PS.

Yup.  And if he reportedly had an attitude being benched for Ford...

I suspect that the rest of the league believes that the Bills letting him walk in the manner they did, speaks loudly that Spain has issues with the chain of command within the team structure, aka a trouble maker to some degree or another, (sudden foot soreness) that on top of Spain not being highly sought after at any point in his career speaks volumes as to why he is on the bengals practice squad. 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Awesome! (+1) 1