Quinton Spain released; signs with Bengals PS

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Seems like some drama going on? Quinton Spain liked this tweet from Ford 

Ford should improve his play and stay out of it imo. Spain is gone so move on, an underperforming 2nd year player does not need to chime in. You are not a leader of this team. I have no idea what he is saying but it doesn't need to be said publicly. Focus on the Jets and getting better at your craft, right now you are not very good at it.

I'm not a 'shut up and play football' guy when it comes to equality issues, but I am when it comes to internal team issues. Work it out amongst yourselves, not on Twitter.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 4

32 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Ford should improve his play and stay out of it imo. Spain is gone so move on, an underperforming 2nd year player does not need to chime in. You are not a leader of this team. I have no idea what he is saying but it doesn't need to be said publicly. Focus on the Jets and getting better at your craft, right now you are not very good at it.

I'm not a 'shut up and play football' guy when it comes to equality issues, but I am when it comes to internal team issues. Work it out amongst yourselves, not on Twitter.

Agree.  Ford is trending toward being out of the league in a couple of years.  He needs to worry about his business.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Ford "week to week" so not playing against the Jets

Could still focus on film and trying to identify little tips and trends that could help his teammates I guess.

I do agree that professionals keep it in-house and stay off the Twitters.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

His release was odd, and at a particularly odd time. It all points to interpersonal (team chemistry) problems over performance problems. But, interpersonal problems are usually resolved or a non-issue when the performance is there. Not being liked, or not being a good team-player, and under performing is a bad combo. Hope it goes well in Cincy for him.

He is a huge upgrade for Cincy. He would be a significant upgrade for the Bills too. I am thinking his release was not about football. Yes he played poorly week 2 at Miami but you don't bench a long term starter for one poor game unless there is something else going on. I suspect some years down the line when the relevant parties are no longer involved we will find out there was some sort of argument with coaches or teammates.

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/27/2020 at 6:32 AM, BeastMode54 said:

we did pay him

Not only did we pay him, since a lot of it was signing bonus and guaranteed we're still paying him

On 10/27/2020 at 6:06 AM, YoloinOhio said:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2020/10/25/quinton-spain-former-buffalo-bills-guard-visit-cincinnati-bengals/6037183002/

"expected to sign"

On 10/27/2020 at 6:25 AM, GunnerBill said:

He is a huge upgrade for Cincy. He would be a significant upgrade for the Bills too. I am thinking his release was not about football. Yes he played poorly week 2 at Miami but you don't bench a long term starter for one poor game unless there is something else going on. I suspect some years down the line when the relevant parties are no longer involved we will find out there was some sort of argument with coaches or teammates.

Q: do you think he's an upgrade on Cody Ford at LG?  Ford has clearly been injured and hampered....but it's not clear

My guess from what Beane said would be a bunch of little things...not focused on preparing diligently once he got benched...maybe not willing to prepare at both RG and LG/being called out for poor play vs. LV when he replaced Winters in the 2nd half and maybe not taking it well....taking himself out of the Titans game at the last minute (foot soreness, really? you had a badly-enough injured foot that you couldn't go, and no one knew until just before the inactives were announced?)  

I also noticed he was carrying a snazzy suit on the plane to LV and to TN - perhaps he didn't "buy in" to covid-19 restrictions and wanted to go out and club.

All that may have led to a "clear the air" meeting with coaches and/or Beane where they wound up saying "if that's where his head is at, we're better off without him", tried to trade him, couldn't, and sent the Turk.

Speculation only, based on the emphasis McDermott and Frazier have laid in their pressers on how Dane Jackson and Harrison Phillips have both kept grinding hard in the background and that's what you want; on Spain posting "bling!" pictures of his car and watch and embroidered shirt cuff on Instagram (sometimes players who get paid lose their willingness to take criticism from a coach who is earning far less); and on Spain carrying the suits and the last-minute scratch.

40 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Q: do you think he's an upgrade on Cody Ford at LG?  Ford has clearly been injured and hampered....but it's not clear

Without question, yes. I honestly do not even think it is close. 

Something happened other than him playing poorly against Miami IMO. You don't bench a guard who played really well for you last season and who you decided to pay and then who played well week 1 for one bad game. And it may be that there are very good reasons the Bills moved on, be that attitude, commitment etc. I suspect he got frustrated they couldn't get the run game going and called someone - likely a coach - out. 

That said the Bills are left starting an inferior player at this moment in time. Obviously Cody is young and still has scope to improve but at this moment in time he is not as good of a guard as Quinton Spain. If it was simply they see that as Cody's future long term then I suspect they don't push to retain Spain in the offseason. I think Spain was very much part of their plans until something off field took place.