Quinton Spain released; signs with Bengals PS

YoloinOhio

So let me get this straight.  In week 5 abruptly before the TN game McD scratched Spain with a bizzare story about his foot and then in week 6 vs the chiefs just before the game spain told mcd "oh sorry coach cant tonight... u know... cuz my foot"?

Check out the balls on that guy lol

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m not even close to the level of “intense football coach” as mcdermott and when I saw the report that Spain right before the game tells them he all of a sudden has boo boo foot and can’t dress... I can only imagine the disdain from that staff. It looked like, on the outside, he was pouting that he wasn’t in the starting lineup vs his old team so he was going to take his ball and go home. I don’t know if that was the case but that’s what it looked like to me. 

This was exactly my thought.  I think Beane hit the rolodex and started trying to trade him Weds. am and when he couldn't, he's like "Ok, Good- bye then!"

Spain's agent must have jumped on him quickly when he tweeted that thing about "what was really going on".  Dumping a player so quickly after you sign them to a new deal is pretty unprecedented, so hinting that something was going on really only looks poor against him.

13 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

Spain will end up in Dallas by the end of the week. He wants to play and wasn't going to get time here.

Dallas hahahahahahahahahaha!  Good Luck Q!

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

They aren’t clearing any.  They still have to pay him for the season since that’s guaranteed.  Looks like he’s going to cost us close to $4.5M this season and another $1M next.  For four or five games of below average play.  That sucks.  It’s not a killer for the team by any stretch, but I’ve complained before about Beane overpaying him with that deal.  And now it’s a lot worse.

Edit:  There is a possible exception.  That’s if he negotiated his release and gave up some of that remaining guaranteed salary.  It’s not likely, but it’s possible. 

No, he won't cost us anything next year.  He doesn't have guaranteed salary next year.  His amortized signing bonus accelerates into this years cap.  We save a bit of money on salary that was apparently not guaranteed and on per game roster bonuses - about $0.45M

If he "negotiated his release" sure, he might give up some guarantees.  Unlikely.  More likely is that he's fairly sure he can sign with someone else and he doesn't have offset language in his contract, so if someone else pays him, we're "off the hook" for his guaranteed salary.

45 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No, he won't cost us anything next year.  He doesn't have guaranteed salary next year.  His amortized signing bonus accelerates into this years cap.  We save a bit of money on salary that was apparently not guaranteed and on per game roster bonuses - about $0.45M

If he "negotiated his release" sure, he might give up some guarantees.  Unlikely.  More likely is that he's fairly sure he can sign with someone else and he doesn't have offset language in his contract, so if someone else pays him, we're "off the hook" for his guaranteed salary.

After June 1st any released player’s unaccounted for signing bonus gets accounted for in the following year.  I looked at OverTheCap and Spotrac and there’s conflicting info.  Details will come through in time.  

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This was exactly my thought.  I think Beane hit the rolodex and started trying to trade him Weds. am and when he couldn't, he's like "Ok, Good- bye then!"

Spain's agent must have jumped on him quickly when he tweeted that thing about "what was really going on".  Dumping a player so quickly after you sign them to a new deal is pretty unprecedented, so hinting that something was going on really only looks poor against him.

Dallas hahahahahahahahahaha!  Good Luck Q!

Why not? Dallas is down 3 OL and desperate for anybody.

Quinton Spain post-release: 'Only if they knew the real reason'

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2020/10/21/buffalo-bills-question-spain-release-knew-the-real-reason/

Team signed with 2020-2022
Contract:    3 yr(s) / $15,000,000     Signing Bonus    $1,500,000     Average Salary$5,000,000        GTD at Sign:$4,500,000     Total GTD:$4,500,000     Free Agent:2023

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/quinton-spain-17325/

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Speak for yourself.  I wasn't sitting in the luxury dining room during or after the first four games, and I'm not up on deck laughing at you while you dance about in your underwear complaining about the cold, either.

Yes you are. I have pictures.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

AP is a great brand, but that particular choice is, uh, not to my taste.

EDIT:  Holy Trinity of watches = Audemars Piguet, Vacheron Constantin, Patek Phillipe

Casio, Timex, and Seiko?  "I am geared towards the average rather than the exceptional."

He has looked slower, heavier-footed and totally off-balance this season.  I get that he won some offseason ironman competition but I’m just reporting what my eyes told me, which is that he came into the season not physically prepared to play at a high level.  Which by the way is his MO after getting paid.  Which probably means they shouldn’t have paid him.

• Like (+1) 4

On 10/21/2020 at 12:29 PM, Coach Tuesday said:

Showed up out of shape and never really seemed bought in this year.

Just read someplace that he won the off season conditioning award for the team so doesn't sound like that.

I haven't read through all 19 pages of this thread, maybe it's already been mentioned, but a friend of mine posted something about his "questionable foot injury" that showed up on game day against Tenn?