Quinton Spain released; signs with Bengals PS

YoloinOhio

13 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Still it’s stupid.  Someone said upthread “McBeane has zero tolerance for attitude issues.”  You know what I’d prefer?  Zero tolerance for losing.  Manage the attitudes and hurt feelings, it’s your job.  Cutting players who complain is insecure and shortsighted.

You don't know if Spain asked to be released or start. Guys have to be comfortable being on the bench and Spain might not have been. In the end you need cohesion in that locker room too.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

This season is starting to feel like Titanic's maiden voyage. First four games we were sat in the luxury dining room in our best dinner jackets, smoking expensive cigars and laughing at the poor folks covered in sh*t down in steerage (i.e. the Jets).

Now we're all up on deck in our underwear, complaining about the cold and wondering why we're being told to put our life vests on.

I guess if we lose to Flacco on Sunday we'll be disguising ourselves as women in an effort to escape the sinking ship.

Speak for yourself.  I wasn't sitting in the luxury dining room during or after the first four games, and I'm not up on deck laughing at you while you dance about in your underwear complaining about the cold, either.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

You don't know if Spain asked to be released or start. Guys have to be comfortable being on the bench and Spain might not have been. In the end you need cohesion in that locker room too.

He has his salary guaranteed this year so tell him that he can like or lump the bench... and then try to trade him in the offseason

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Speak for yourself.  I wasn't sitting in the luxury dining room during or after the first four games, and I'm not up on deck laughing at you while you dance about in your underwear complaining about the cold, either.

I'm in a cabin trying to talk Kay Adams into letting me sketch her...

• Haha (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

He has his salary guaranteed this year so tell him that he can like or lump the bench... and then try to trade him in the offseason

That’s easy to say, without knowing what’s stirring. They would rather pay him to not be around their team  - Pretty telling

16 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I guess if we lose to Flacco on Sunday we'll be disguising ourselves as women in an effort to escape the sinking ship.

Please don't even get this group started on crossdressing.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

That’s easy to say, without knowing what’s stirring. They would rather pay him to not be around their team  - Pretty telling

I guess my point is that there is more to ths story then simply " he didnt like sitting on the bench"...

My guess:

1) Last minute -> 'Hurt foot'

2) McDermott pops a vein in his temple, stands on Beane's desk

3) Beane calls in Spain, asks blunt questions and Spain gives blunt answers.

4) Beane cuts the foot + the other 330 lbs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Still it’s stupid.  Someone said upthread “McBeane has zero tolerance for attitude issues.”  You know what I’d prefer?  Zero tolerance for losing.  Manage the attitudes and hurt feelings, it’s your job.  Cutting players who complain is insecure and shortsighted.

Simple to say, harder to do. 

Managing people is a fickle thing most of the time. The time it’s not? When there’s a cancer in the room. When that happens, cut it out. Seems clear that’s what they did here. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, hemma said:

My guess:

1) Last minute -> 'Hurt foot'

2) McDermott pops a vein in his temple, stands on Beane's desk

3) Beane calls in Spain, asks blunt questions and Spain gives blunt answers.

4) Beane cuts the foot + the other 330 lbs.

I’m not even close to the level of “intense football coach” as mcdermott and when I saw the report that Spain right before the game tells them he all of a sudden has boo boo foot and can’t dress... I can only imagine the disdain from that staff. It looked like, on the outside, he was pouting that he wasn’t in the starting lineup vs his old team so he was going to take his ball and go home. I don’t know if that was the case but that’s what it looked like to me. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, bmur66 said:

Any chance the Bills are clearing some cap space for a trade?

They aren’t clearing any.  They still have to pay him for the season since that’s guaranteed.  Looks like he’s going to cost us close to $4.5M this season and another $1M next.  For four or five games of below average play.  That sucks.  It’s not a killer for the team by any stretch, but I’ve complained before about Beane overpaying him with that deal.  And now it’s a lot worse.

Edit:  There is a possible exception.  That’s if he negotiated his release and gave up some of that remaining guaranteed salary.  It’s not likely, but it’s possible. 

Edited by BarleyNY

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

For sure that was going on.  Their statement before the Titans game was odd - that Spain was inactive due to a foot injury they had “just learned of” or something to that effect.  That was the first salvo in all of this.

But as has been brought up - Spain brought it to their attention just before the game.

This was Spain most likely showing he was unhappy and the team said we are not going to sit on this.  We need people to be on board because who know when it might be your turn back in the drivers seat.  That stunt most likely cost him his job.

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

What good does that do if they need someone to step in and he is playing a “sore foot” card.

If he is going to be unhappy and not giving his all on the bench - he is not worth being part of the team - move on and fill the role and grab another young guy as needed from a practice squad.

22 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

But as has been brought up - Spain brought it to their attention just before the game.

This was Spain most likely showing he was unhappy and the team said we are not going to sit on this.  We need people to be on board because who know when it might be your turn back in the drivers seat.  That stunt most likely cost him his job.

What good does that do if they need someone to step in and he is playing a “sore foot” card.

If he is going to be unhappy and not giving his all on the bench - he is not worth being part of the team - move on and fill the role and grab another young guy as needed from a practice squad.

Kind of like retiring at half time. Cant have that. This builds a mindset that if you dont want to be overlooked just claim a pain.. Cant have that either