The Maddening Mystery of McDermott's Disappearing Defense

Logic

after watching the pressers and McDermotts demeanor I think there is a bit of regret on the benching of Murphy and Harrison.  This is still a bad taste imo and it's a HS move that does not work in the NFL it has not positive affect.  Get back to work on the schemes and stop playing head games with your Defensive players

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Nice work on the article, but no disrespect, but I dont really think its not a mystery at all.  

1. Star opted out.  Despite the stat sheet heroes around here who always want to cut him because they don't actually understand the trenches, he was very important in the middle of our D.  He is a space eater and helps free up our penetrators and LB's.  Without Star, our DT's inside are undersized and overwhelmed.  
  2. Milano has been hurt a lot this year, and he is very important to our defense.  
  3. Edmunds missed time has been playing hurt and doesn't seem to have the confidence back yet.  
  4. Our secondary has had its own injury problems.
  5. We have several new pieces on defense where we did not have a preseason of full camp to really work with moving people around to figure out the strongest lineup and where each is best and worst at.  

Some of these issues have been plaguing other teams too.  Its why defenses across the NFL have been historically bad as the league is looking at new records offensively across the board, including scoring.  

End of the day, health and the lack of size in the middle are our two biggest issues right now.  One is out of our control (injuries) and the other was compounded when Star opted out late in the offseason.  

My hope is that Beane tries and find some size to plug into the middle before the trade deadline.  If our interior of our line keeps getting chewed up and cant get off their blocks, well the LB's and DE's cant do their jobs either.  Against a team like KC with no Milano, we needed our LBs in coverage more and that allowed Helaire to go off in the ground game beach their OL just pushed our DT's around.  

Oliver is a penetrating DT, he needs a space eater next to him to be effective.  He wasn't drafted to be a run stuffer, he was drafted to put pressure up the middle on the QB.  We need more beef next to him.  

Yeah - the dline is a mess currently.  They basically used butler at 1T with zimmer (didn't work), and oliver and jefferson split time over center on their snaps.  That is not what you want on the interior.  Butler can line up at 1T i suppose, but i feel like they got him to play next to oliver on passing downs.  Jefferson brings some flex to being able to play end (no need with how bad the tackles are), but he isn't a 1T either.  He should be playing 3T on run downs, and maybe 1T on pass downs - but it seems like butler gives a bit more juice to the pass rush.  

The big problem is phillips- they benched him for zimmer to play next to butler, and it didn't work.  He got moved around all day on combos.

They need a nose to play 50-60% of snaps (and actually anchor), and they need to be able to flex jefferson or butler to end as a run defender.

Right now on 3rd and 2, 4th and 1 - they aren't capable of getting stops.   

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 2

I'd say this article is the very definition of bloviation.   

Who is your audience?   Fans who didn't watch Bills games this season?  

It's just your specialty....... "look at me" self indulgence.  

If nothing else try to remember that brevity is the soul of wit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'd say this article is the very definition of bloviation.   

Who is your audience?   Fans who didn't watch Bills games this season?  

It's just your specialty....... "look at me" self indulgence.  

If nothing else try to remember that brevity is the soul of wit.

Tell me how you really feel.

This isn't just about my article, is it?

Is everything going okay at home, BADOL? Something you wanna talk about? 

Hope you're happy and healthy. God Bless!

Edited by Logic
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I could be wrong, but I think that teams whose schemes require a very large mean and nasty interior DLmen aren't trading them.

Point 2) Holding.  Offensive holding is a big thing

Point 3) I think all of these football players are incredibly strong and incredible athletes.  Part of the difference between success and failure is believing you can.

Maybe that's the difference the 12th man made?

21 minutes ago, Logic said:

Tell me how you really feel.

This isn't just about my article, is it?

Is everything going okay at home, BADOL? Something you wanna talk about? 

Hope you're happy and healthy. God Bless!

I know it's probably very hard for you to believe........but honest........it's just plain boring writing.

What's more is the poor taste directing people off-forum to some knock-off fan site that you post on.

You are just laughably self-unaware.

But at least you are consistent.:thumbsup:  

• Like (+1) 1

When looking back at the history of McD’s defenses, they have been up and down. Pure speculation, but, by looking at it, it appears there is no adjustment on the fly. I did not dig deep and see which players were lost (if any) and strength of schedule but, at first glance it appears to be telling and par for the course. 

Add in that each year he has been here we have had a lull in defensive production during each season and it begins to paint a picture. 

Please don’t take me wrong: I am firmly in the McD corner as I believe, overall, he is a great HC. 

Edited by TroutDog

6 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

This Defense needs a space eater in the middle to make everything else work. Without Star and Jordan Phillips, we just don’t have that this year. I honestly believe that is whole reason all of these other weaknesses started showing up. 

Jordan Phillips is not a large factor other than not wearing a cheerleader outfit like last year.  The plays he made were done by being out of position and many times he left gaps which needed to be covered by other players.

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm not sure why this board is not putting more emphasis on the magical regression of Josh Allen and the disappearing offense.

We won four games in a  row because Allen had morphed into a substantially better QB than we have ever seen from him before.

The D has been middling to lousy throughout this season.

The change the last 2 games is the offense, not the defense.

If are going to get back to winning a lot of games, we need to fix the offense, and fast.

Well for one thing....they have to have the ball in order to be productive.  You cant have a defense constantly giving up 3rd downs and only giving the ball to the offense for 22 minutes against the Chiefs.....

Defense has to do its job and get off the field

2 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

after watching the pressers and McDermotts demeanor I think there is a bit of regret on the benching of Murphy and Harrison.  This is still a bad taste imo and it's a HS move that does not work in the NFL it has not positive affect.  Get back to work on the schemes and stop playing head games with your Defensive players

It reminded me of starting P5t5rman in SD which many posters were in favor of until he turned into the human jugs machine for SD players.

• Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I know it's probably very hard for you to believe........but honest........it's just plain boring writing.

What's more is the poor taste directing people off-forum to some knock-off fan site that you post on.

You are just laughably self-unaware.

But at least you are consistent.:thumbsup:  

1.) I have no problem with a little constructive criticism. It goes with the territory. My writing may not be for everyone, and it clearly isn't for you. That's fine. I WILL say that I find your string of personal attacks to be a bit bizarre, over the top, and inappropriate. I posted a football article on a football message board. You reacted with personal venom and childish insults. There's fair criticism and then there's being rude and miserable just for the sake of it, and your posts place you squarely in the second camp.

2.) People post articles all the time on this forum. When I post an article I have written, I always paste the entire body of it on this forum so that people don't have to click away if they don't want to. The website I write for is free, there's no advertising on it, and I don't get paid. It's a fan blog. I'm not trying to "get clicks" or get paid. As far as I know, I am breaking no rules by posting my articles, and you're literally the only person who has been offended by it thus far.

3.) I have posted less than one third as much as you on this forum, but I have twice as many reputation points. This means that people enjoy what I have to say far more -- and far more often -- than they enjoy what you have to say. This article, for instance, was enjoyed by at least 15 people. You'll have to excuse me if I don't take your word to be gospel, especially since you have a less than stellar history of positively contributing to conversations on this forum or saying anything of value. 

I'll tell you what: I'll go on discussing football on a football message board in the way I see fit. You go on being miserable and lobbing inappropriately rude and personal attacks against strangers for reasons known only to you. Sound like a deal?

• Like (+1) 1

My top two

*  The defensive line isn' t as good as we hoped.  Our losses (Shaq, Star, etc) were more significant than I - and others - expected.  We can't stop the run.  And the lack of pressure is exposing weaknesses in our secondary.  

*  Teamwork.  The Bills defense the past two years was greater than the sum of its parts.  Few blown assignments.  Good gap discipline.  Good communication.  I think COVID hurt well-coached defenses like the Bills more than it hurt defenses that rely on superior athleticism and skill.  The first quarter of the NFL season has been a lot like sandlot football where the best individual athletes shine in an environment where teamwork & discipline suck.   

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Logic said:

1.) I have no problem with a little constructive criticism. It goes with the territory. My writing may not be for everyone, and it clearly isn't for you. That's fine. I WILL say that I find your string of personal attacks to be a bit bizarre, over the top, and inappropriate. I posted a football article on a football message board. You reacted with personal venom and childish insults. There's fair criticism and then there's being rude and miserable just for the sake of it, and your posts place you squarely in the second camp.

2.) People post articles all the time on this forum. When I post an article I have written, I always paste the entire body of it on this forum so that people don't have to click away if they don't want to. The website I write for is free, there's no advertising on it, and I don't get paid. It's a fan blog. I'm not trying to "get clicks" or get paid. As far as I know, I am breaking no rules by posting my articles, and you're literally the only person who has been offended by it thus far.

3.) I have posted less than one third as much as you on this forum, but I have twice as many reputation points. This means that people enjoy what I have to say far more -- and far more often -- than they enjoy what you have to say. This article, for instance, was enjoyed by at least 15 people. You'll have to excuse me if I don't take your word to be gospel, especially since you have a less than stellar history of positively contributing to conversations on this forum or saying anything of value. 

I'll tell you what: I'll go on discussing football on a football message board in the way I see fit. You go on being miserable and lobbing inappropriately rude and personal attacks against strangers for reasons known only to you. Sound like a deal?

1) I bluntly critiqued your work.   You fancy yourself an article writing journalist published on an outside media outlet.  Journalist articles get critiqued here.   Nothing I said was "childish".    

Your work is just not good and I pointed it out.

It reads like a middle school essay assignment and is not informative,  not thought provoking and not entertaining.    Last year you tried to do 10K word essays after the games called "extra points" or something that read like a play-by-play of the game..........and when nobody responded you would self-bump the thread.    That's just bizarre.   If you are just fishing for attention on this site that's not a crime but if you are directing traffic off-site the quality of your content is most definitely fair game.

2)Just post it here then.  Why are you asking people to go off-site when all of the inspiring content is right there?    I can guarantee you that @SDS doesn't want you directing traffic off site like that.   I mean Bleacher Report was banned here for years and at least the content there was entertaining.

3) You have posted 1/3 as much as me because I have been here over 20 years and you are a recent addition to the forum.   "Logic".  This is what I mean about you lacking self-awareness.    You don't know that you are illogical and often can't come to even common sense conclusions.   You think you are a lot more interesting than you are.   People read a sophomoric article like that and they think "bless his heart, he's tryin'" like maybe you are just not too bright.......meanwhile you are convinced that you are killing it.   It's quite comical.

If you feel a need to expand on it or ask me more about my personal life.........just go to PM's.

If you want to be a journalist.......get a thicker skin.       

Think unless McDermott changes his strategy were going to get pounded week in week out.  The bend dont break has become slow death.  They arent creating the turnovers or timely 3rd down stops to make that work.  They cant stop the run and they cant get pressure from just the front four.  He's going to have to get creative and take chances to put teams behind the chains to have any success with the personnel they have on defense.  Maybe stop signing geriatric used to be's and process guys and start looking for bigger/faster/dynamic playmakers for the defense. The draft picks need to start showing something  I'm still holding out hope that Oliver is something

9 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Nice article.

Combo of factors for sure.

A few thoughts...

1) Like many on this board, I haven't really valued Star all that much the last couple of years. But, maybe I've been wrong and his lack of stats didn't matter, that he really was/is a cog that helps the other 10.. chewing up space and blockers.

2) Hughes just can't seem to do it anymore like he used to. Hurts to say that, but it's not there.

3) We need to get bigger and stronger. As you mentioned, getting blown off the ball 5 yards sometimes is unacceptable and unsustainable.

4) Scheme. What do I know... but I do know I saw holes 10 feet wide vs KC. How does that happen?

5) Milano is a difference-maker. Amazing how 1 guy changes the whole vibe on defense.

6) Have Hyde/Poyer peaked and/or on their way down?

7) Could use me some Lorax right now.

8 ) Would welcome a trade for a very large, mean and nasty Interior DL. Lose pick(s) and $ in the deal if you have to.

Even if Hyde/Poyer have peaked, they would still be a great combination if they didn't have to play default LB in addition to their other responsibilities.  I actually think that with Wallace out, Tre injured (kind-of?), the D-Line ineffective, and the LB's invisible, Hyde/Poyer are by far the best position group on D.  I will grant you that when you see one of them in a confused coverage play it doesn't look good, but maybe they are trying to do too much (??).

Hughes and Murphy are bad.  They don’t set an edge and never get to the QB.  Shaq wasn’t that great but he was really good at setting an edge and run stopping.  Might as well go big at DE with Jefferson and even Oliver.  They can’t do any worse getting pressure and will set the edge better.  

Secondly, I’d blitz Edmunds more.  He’s the best athlete on the field.  Stop asking him to drop back and react.  It’s not what he’s good at.  He needs to become a headhunter out there and strike fear.  Our safeties already play conservatively enough already.  How many guys do we need running backwards 10 yards on every snap?  It’s like this D is forever in prevent mode.  
Stop the run with the front 4 by going big, and turn Edmunds lose in the backfield.  

You can only go so far with a "sum of the parts" type of Defense.  At some point you need to have ELITE talent to be an elite defense.  We just don't have anybody on that level.  We used high draft picks on guys like Edmunds and Oliver who were supposed to fill that role but they are not having that type of impact at the NFL level.  I have watched a few Steelers games this year and they have playmakers all over the field on their Defense.  

The losses of Lorenzo, Star, Phillips, and Shaq are turning out to be much more significant than anybody was anticipating.

Last year's defense probably did look a bit more inflated because of the level of competition they faced.

After 6 games I think it's a matter of this Defense just isn't as good as most people thought or were expecting this year.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

I could be wrong and often am

I tend to believe it was either a trade move, or an evaluation move as a preface to a trade trying to ship Murphy or Phillips

OTOH it could be legit bad judgement that they believe Zimmer and Cox "have it" and could help the team - in which case I personally put it down to poor judgement almost rivaling the decision to bench Taylor in favor of Peterman.

• Like (+1) 3