What is the worst loss a good Bills teams has had?

C.Biscuit97

Just now, Greg S said:

Losing the Super Bowl by one point on a missed FG in the final seconds. I can't see anything loss worse than that.

That's what makes it painful.  A "bad loss" is one where you shouldn't have lost at all and played horribly.  At least that's my definition of it. 

And no doubt, we did underperform in Superbowl XXV and perhaps should have won the game.  But it was the Superbowl, it was against the NFC champions, they had phenomenal coaching (all time best in fact), and so on.

Painful, and OK, let's call it bad too.

😢

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Welcome to the board, Leodis!

would you clue me as to what this post actually means? I don't get the "Leodis" reference.

as far as painful losses are concerned they are ALL painful and Im personally not into bringing back the memories all that much just sayin'

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

Thurman was on fire that game. Would have been the MVP if they won. I wish they would have gotten the ball in Thurman's hands more. I bet the Bills would have won if they did.

Probably... If you look at the red zone possession where they ran a conventional offense, put J Mueller in the game and huddled up, the Giants couldn't stop them.  I was like W T F ???  Stick to that and let the D rest before going up against the Giants roadgrader O-line again.  We should have scored 30+ that game.  Run the ball, work the clock and play action pass instead of quick drives and punts.  We gave that one away with a bad game plan against an inferior team.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

That's what makes it painful.  A "bad loss" is one where you shouldn't have lost at all and played horribly.  At least that's my definition of it. 

And no doubt, we did underperform in Superbowl XXV and perhaps should have won the game.  But it was the Superbowl, it was against the NFC champions, they had phenomenal coaching (all time best in fact), and so on.

Painful, and OK, let's call it bad too.

😢

Then Super Bowl XXVII would be my choice, as that was one of the worst beat downs I've ever seen. Thank goodness for Don Beebe or it would have been worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

How can the answer be anything other than 52-17, a game in which the Bills turned it over nine-count-em'-nine times?? And it should have been 59-17 if not for Leon Lett's showboating.

Again I was young for it but weren’t the Cowboys just much better than us?  Like looking back, the only SB to really get mad at was the Giants because the Bills were the better team.  Washington was one of the lost great teams that year and Dallas was just better than Buffalo, sadly. 

20 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The Ryan Leaf rookie debut game sticks out to me in '98.

At least, Leaf went on to a successful, trouble Free career. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

1. SB wide right

2. Home run throw forward by titans

3. loss to backup steelers that cost us a spot in the playoffs

4. Pats MNF game

5. playoff loss to texans

6. playoff loss to Jax

the last 2 sucked but not the worst 

Losing because of the Refs sucks 

On 10/21/2020 at 9:07 AM, Playoffs? said:

Super Bowl 25

On 10/21/2020 at 10:08 AM, Offside Number 76 said:

52-17.

I went to all 4 Bills Super Bowls and my co-workers were pretty brutal when we'd get back after the losses.  When the Giants beat the Bills they put up crime scene tape at my desk, every newspaper clipping from the NY & Buffalo papers they could find & had a body outline with #12 on the floor by my desk.  

For the 1st Dallas game I went with my friend Petrino who worked in the sales unit that worked on the sale transfer documents which were called EA5217, which we called 5217s.  When Petrino got back from the Bills loss in Pasadena they had scanned his ID photo made a fake coffin with his photo & the rest of the coffin filled with 5217s.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.

On 10/21/2020 at 9:10 AM, Rubes said:

The one that immediately comes to mind is the 1988 loss to the Buccaneers, 10-5. Bucs sucked that year, and the loss basically cost us home field for the championship game against the Bengals, which of course we lost.

My thoughts exactly.

What about the regular season game at NE (not the MNF game) years ago where their refs just basically gave NE the game and we suffered a heartbreaking loss on the final drive. I forgot what year that was. I think it was at least 10 years ago maybe more.

I remember in 1991 a 10-1 Bills squad going into New England who was at their lowest point two years before getting Bledsoe and losing in foxboro. 

Not sure if 2004 quite qualifies as a good team, but losing to the Steelers backups in a game where a win would have meant making the playoffs has to be up there.

Buffalo has had a rough two weeks, but I do not see them losing to the Jets.    A bad team playing hard can win on a given day, but this Jets team seems to have lost their fighting spirit and have Gase as the coach.   Being shut out by a Miami team that was not playing their best in that game shows that they are in a bad way.

Edited by dgrochester55