What is the worst loss a good Bills teams has had?

C.Biscuit97

Well, you have to start with the Super Bowls, particularly 25. 

But, if you;re talking just regular season, there were multiple occasions the Kelly era Bills would go to KC on a Monday night and just get spanked.  Happened several times for whatever reason, but the Bills always came back and beat them in the playoffs.  Hopefully history repeats itself this season if we get another crack at the Chiefs in the postseason.

All good teams have a bad loss or 2 during the season.  But, good trams learn from those losses and it makes it a lot hard for teams to beat you 2 or 3 times during the same season.  The Bills have some holes to fill talent-wise.  If they can get a couple pieces in here, and we really are as good of a team as I think we can be, a bounce here or there and the next time we face the Chiefs or Titans, it may turn out differently.

Edited by sven233

In honor of Jets week, I'll nominate our 24-17 loss to the 4-9 Jets in 1992, which came on the heels of a loss to the 5-7 Colts.  I think that was the week after Dennis Byrd.  The 1992 Bills were pretty good.

People are all upset right now about losing to the top two seeds in the AFC. Those were back-to-back losses against bottom-feeders.

Edited by BillsFanSD
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Super Bowl 25 for sure.  I think we were favored by 7 and they had their back up QB in.  We were outcoached all game long.

Yes, everyone loves M Levy but its tough to overlook the SB25 gameplan.  Gee, the Giants O-line outweighs our D-line by about 40 lbs on average and they have a couple of huge blocking TEs and a FB.  Ok, lets run a no-huddle and leave our under-sized D on the field for 40 min.  Great plan.....

• Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, P Riv said:

Yes, everyone loves M Levy but its tough to overlook the SB25 gameplan.  Gee, the Giants O-line outweighs our D-line by about 40 lbs on average and they have a couple of huge blocking TEs and a FB.  Ok, lets run a no-huddle and leave our under-sized D on the field for 40 min.  Great plan.....

Thurman was on fire that game. Would have been the MVP if they won. I wish they would have gotten the ball in Thurman's hands more. I bet the Bills would have won if they did.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think the Bills were the hottest team in nfl at the time and could have been dangerous if they got in. They were crushing teams but I remember it being a lot of bad ones though.  But that is a good call.

also, some of those Steelers backups were pretty good (Willie Parker, James Harrison). We lost to Tommy Maddox with a 120 yards passing.  🤮 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200501020buf.htm

How can the answer be anything other than 52-17, a game in which the Bills turned it over nine-count-em'-nine times?? And it should have been 59-17 if not for Leon Lett's showboating.

Edited by dave mcbride

I'm eliminating SB losses, but the 23- 0 loss to Pittsburgh on MNF back in 1993. We couldnt even fart right that night and got completely dominated. I remember the sting to this day. We looked like a girl scout troop that night.

Otherwise, that other damn loss to Steelers w Bledsoe and the backups in 2004. That was an ass kicker. The 31-0 loss to the Pats in 03 was rough as well, but that team really underperformed. It just rubbed out the whole victory of that 31-0 opener, which was one of the best Bills wins ever. Watch now , all your hopes for the future crumble away kind of losses.

Edited by RichRiderBills

8 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

How can the answer be anything other than 52-17, a game in which the Bills turned it over nine-count-em'-nine times??

Hard to believe they actually led that game 7-0.

18 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

How can the answer be anything other than 52-17, a game in which the Bills turned it over nine-count-em'-nine times?? And it should have been 59-17 if not for Leon Lett's showboating.

The Giants game and the 2nd Dallas game were way more painful. The Bills should have beaten the Giants as they were the better team. The 2nd one against Dallas the Bills were leading at half. So when Dallas came back it was more disappointment. The one against the Redskins and the first Dallas game were easy to get over. It sucked losing the SB but the Bills just flat out got their asses kicked that it wasn't as painful as the other two SB games.

Edited by Greg S

8 minutes ago, Greg S said:

The Giants game and the 2nd Dallas game were way more painful. The Bills should have beaten the Giants as they were the better team. The 2nd one against Dallas the Bills were leading at half. So when Dallas came back it was more disappointment. The one against the Redskins and the first Dallas game were easy to get over. It sucked losing the SB but the Bills just flat out got their asses kicked that it wasn't as painful as the other two SB games.

I think the question was the worst loss, not the most painful loss. 

I recall at least one game back when we were going to Superbowls every year where we'd go on the road to Indy (at the time in our division and also one of the worst teams in the NFL) and LOSE after playing a lousy game.

I think that may have happened more than once in that era, actually.

Edit: 11/29/1992:  Lost at Indy 16-13

EDIT again:  10/8/1989:  Loss at Indy 37-14.

Those were both big losses at the time that had everyone stirred up.

Edited by Nextmanup

I was only 6 years old at the time so I don't have much memory of it but it was said on WGR a few months ago that in 1992 toward the end of the season, the Bills were trying to get to their 3rd straight Super Bowl and from what I believe Bulldog or maybe it was Sal Capaccio said was the Bills lost to a really bad Jets team at home toward the end of that season and the Jets were even like 15 point underdogs or something like that. Luckily, we turned it around in the playoffs and did get to the 3rd straight Super Bowl but I found it interesting that even our greatest teams had big bumps in the road a time or two

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I don't think I'd call that the worst loss.  Easily the most painful, yes.

Losing the Super Bowl by one point on a missed FG in the final seconds. I can't see any loss worse than that.

Edited by Greg S
  • Like (+1) 2