Trevor Lawrence Advised to Avoid Jets

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

Clemson Tigers QB Trevor Lawrence hints at staying for senior season rather than opting for NFL draft

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/clemson-tigers-qb-trevor-lawrence-hints-staying-senior/story?id=73861151

Pretty misleading title right there. He left the door open, but it sounds like he’s still leaning towards coming out. 

I get the Jets are a joke, but what’s he going do hold out so

he can go to the Jaguars or Washington Football team?

As others pointed out there is no guaranty the Jets don’t get the first pick in 2022. 

3 minutes ago, JetsFan20 said:

Pretty misleading title right there. He left the door open, but it sounds like he’s still leaning towards coming out. 

I get the Jets are a joke, but what’s he going do hold out so

he can go to the Jaguars or Washington Football team?

As others pointed out there is no guaranty the Jets don’t get the first pick in 2022. 

I’d be shocked if he stays in college, but he already stated he’s going pro after this year.  He definitely walked back those comments, which is worth noting. 

16 hours ago, LeviF91 said:

Cowboys could reasonably tank at this point and hit reset on their coaching staff.  He's a southern boy and Dallas is a big football market.  Are the Giants getting what they want out of Daniel Jones?  Good ownership there and a big market.  I don't think Atlanta is ready to give up on Matt Ryan yet but they suck.

The Falcons would drop Ryan like a hot charcoal if they had a chance to get Trevor. He grew up close by and is the best prospect since John Elway. Btw, almost every team in the NFL would want to sign this kid.

I could very easily be wrong, but I expect the Jets to "earn" the rights to him, and for him to sign. Doesn't the 1st pick get 35 million guaranteed? Yolo says that he is engaged; let's see how the new bride feels about him turning down this cash and going back to school.

Yes, there are certainly many factors involved and perhaps I think too much about money, but I just can't see the kid saying no to 35 or so million and NYC endorsements.

Jmo.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

The Falcons would drop Ryan like a hot charcoal if they had a chance to get Trevor. He grew up close by and is the best prospect since John Elway. Btw, almost every team in the NFL would want to sign this kid.

I could very easily be wrong, but I expect the Jets to "earn" the rights to him, and for him to sign. Doesn't the 1st pick get 35 million guaranteed? Yolo says that he is engaged; let's see how the new bride feels about him turning down this cash and going back to school.

Yes, there are certainly many factors involved and perhaps I think too much about money, but I just can't see the kid saying no to 35 or so million and NYC endorsements.

Jmo.

Depends what they do in the offseason prior to the draft - assuming they get pick #1.  

I think they make a play for Joe Brady and try and make it a desirable destination.  Continue to rebuild the line - Thuney would look good next to becton.  Try and make a play for Skura.  Maybe see about getting beckhams contract for pennies on the dollar.  Drake/Fournette should be much cheaper than a year ago.  Lot of FA WRs - Fuller, Jones, Golladay, JuJu.  Trade darnold for whatever you can get.  Can dump crowder, fant, van roten, anderson, for like 5M dead money and free up even more space.  

Essentially - you rebuild that offense from ground up to surround lawrence with talent.  That way you can use the other 1st, 2nd, and 3rds for young defensive help.  You get mosely back, can draft a corner or two - add a pass rusher somehow.  If they use their money right they can make it a quick 2 year rebuild and not ruin lawrence.

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Depends what they do in the offseason prior to the draft - assuming they get pick #1.  

I think they make a play for Joe Brady and try and make it a desirable destination.  Continue to rebuild the line - Thuney would look good next to becton.  Try and make a play for Skura.  Maybe see about getting beckhams contract for pennies on the dollar.  Drake/Fournette should be much cheaper than a year ago.  Lot of FA WRs - Fuller, Jones, Golladay, JuJu.  Trade darnold for whatever you can get.  Can dump crowder, fant, van roten, anderson, for like 5M dead money and free up even more space.  

Essentially - you rebuild that offense from ground up to surround lawrence with talent.  That way you can use the other 1st, 2nd, and 3rds for young defensive help.  You get mosely back, can draft a corner or two - add a pass rusher somehow.  If they use their money right they can make it a quick 2 year rebuild and not ruin lawrence.

All of your points are valid.

As I said, there are many factors involved. I didn't know that he was engaged, which could work for, or even against him singing with the Jets. His fiancée could possibly hate or crave NYC life. Now, her opinion has equal weight to his (if he is smart). If he gets married before he signs the contract, guess who is entitled to 1/2? :)

53 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Unless the Jets get a HC and a GM who work together, and then get the owner to just fade into the background none of what you correctly stated will come to fruition. It would be a-shame for them as the potential for vast improvement is certainly there. As a Bills fan I hope they screw the pooch yet again. 

Just now, Don Otreply said:

Unless the Jets get a HC and a GM who work together, and then get the owner to just fade into the background none of what you correctly stated will come to fruition. It would be a-shame for them as the potential for vast improvement is certainly there. As a Bills fan I hope they screw the pooch yet again. 

Gotta fire everyone.  Gase, douglas, get em all gone.

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Luck >>

I don’t follow college much at all, but it feels like from my perspective, Lawrence was supposed to be this all time prospect and he wowed people as a freshman, but it never all came together... now the narrative is bigger than the player?

am I missing on that take?

14 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I don’t follow college much at all, but it feels like from my perspective, Lawrence was supposed to be this all time prospect and he wowed people as a freshman, but it never all came together... now the narrative is bigger than the player?

Trevor was unreal as a freshman.  

Was really good last year, but you started to see that he’s playing with bonkers talent around him.   Lots of jump balls and guys making plays for him.  Then he really struggled in the Natty.  

So far this year, he’s been pretty on point but struggled against Syracuse last week... because Clemson inexplicably struggles with Syracuse every year.  

He’s much more marketable than Luck though. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I really just think he’s not that accurate. Can be erratic, his WR have saved him many times. I mean I’d still take him #1. He’s extremely talented. But that’s  Just my opinion watching him play 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, whatdrought said:

yea still a top prospect but he has not developed into some generational prospect like Luck was.

but it seems like that narrative he had going as a freshman has lingered.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

yea still a top prospect but he has not developed into some generational prospect like Luck was.

but it seems like that narrative he had going as a freshman has lingered.  

Lot of intriguing QB’s this year, from what I gather. Will be interesting to see. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

OMG even after a lackluster career that has ended, Andrew Luck is still being worshipped.

Yes, Luck was touted as the greatest prospect ever.  That much is true.  That said, it is pointless to compare Lawrence as a prospect to Luck as a prospect.  Prospect by definition means the results remain unknown. Does Lawrence project as the next Tom Brady in terms of results?  If so he goes number one easily.  Does he project as Luck In terms of results and go in the 2nd or 3rd round?

Sam Bowie was a better prospect than Michael Jordan.  That no longer matters.

• Thank you (+1) 1