Trevor Lawrence Advised to Avoid Jets

16 hours ago, Motor26 said:

I read an article last week saying the Jets will be lucky to get a 2nd for Darnold. I know he has very little help from his teammates but I mean he just looks completely lost out there and his confidence broken. 

I read an article (I think SI) in which personnel around the league said that he'd go for more than what ROsen went for (late second) and that they could easily see a team like Pitt spending a late first on him. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/10/12/trevor-lawrence-looms-jets-trades-travis-fulgham-andy-dalton

There’s no better example of Trevor Lawrence’s looming presence over the bottom of the NFL standings than in ESPN’s Sunday morning news story this weekend gauging the trade value of Jets QB Sam Darnold. And I hope I’ve been as clear as possible about this with people over the last couple months. There’s very little chance that whoever has the first pick will trade it, regardless of who else is on the roster. The team that gets him is going to have to be the worst team in the league, because that’s the type of prospect Lawrence is. It was like this in 2012 for Andrew Luck (and I’d imagine 1983 for John Elway and 1998 for Peyton Manning), and it's going to be the same in 2021.

And to continue the exercise, I did reach out to a few people to gauge what the price tag might be for Darnold—and what they’d be willing to pay. One NFC exec said, “A little more than the [Josh] Rosen trade, so maybe a second and a fourth.” An AFC scouting director was willing to go a little further than that, saying, “If you had a 1 in the 20s like, say, a Pittsburgh, I’d do it. The kid’s talented as hell and is under a brutal [situation].” A second NFC exec said he’d consider “a late 1 this year for him, maybe two 2s,” and added “He’s still an asset. This isn’t Hackenberg.”

That makes a lot of sense to me. And if I was the Steelers, I’d see a lot of reclamation project value there. The Niners took a shot like that back in the ’80s, and did it despite having Joe Montana on the roster, and I don’t think they regretted it.

• Like (+1) 1

Good advice to say the least, look what their ownership allowed to happen to Darnold, On top of that, just look at them historically. TL should just do the Eli Manning thing and tell the jets kindly and professionally to piss up a rope. 

4 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Nope.  That was the Giants who picked Hilliard at #7.  The Jets moved down to #6 & traded that pick to Tampa, who then traded it to Seattle who took HOFer Walter Jones.  The Jets picked 8th & took LB James Farrior.  I remember that draft because it's the only draft I attended in person.  My parents scheduled a 50th anniversary party that Sunday and I had to spend the weekend in Long Island.  Since my parents didn't have cable, the best way I could see the draft was to go.  My father took me to the railroad into NYC around 4:30 AM.  

Well, in my defense, reading is hard

• Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

Count me in the minority here, but I have a problem with these kids coming out of college and dictating where they will or won't go. It really rubs me the wrong way. I remember when Eli came out, and basically said he refused to go to the Chargers.  They ended up swinging a trade with the Giants and got an extra 1st rounder, or two?  I can't remember.  But even back then, I thought to myself, "what a primadonna".  And I don't have anything against Eli, but I'm old school.  I'm of the belief that playing in the National Football League is a privilege that less than 1% of the population ever gets bestowed upon them, and to be selected in the NFL draft is an honor of the highest level.  The NFL draft is a tradition that has gone on for as long as it has without a hitch, and was designed to promote competitiveness amongst teams.  Now you got these kids coming out of college, with everyone in their ear, telling them how great they are, how their crap doesn't stink, and they can tell the NFL where THEY want to go....really?  

I'm sorry, I just don't think it should be that way. IMO, you go where you're drafted.  If you have a problem with that, there's always the CFL, Arena football, the XFL, whatever.  But no NFL for you.  You had the chance, and you chose to make a statement "I'm bigger than the NFL."  So godspeed young man.  

I know I may be alone in my thinking, but I feel like if we start (or continue) letting these kids dictate where they go when they're drafted, or say where they won't go, we're setting ourselves up for further chaos and audacious actions down the road.  Furthermore, we're jeopardizing a tradition that has been a part of the league for damn near ever, and messing with the competitive spirit the game revolves around.   Just my two cents..

I get where you're coming from, but I disagree. This isn't Kevin Durant hand picking the best team out there.  If a dysfunctional team wants to draft you, they could very likely screw up your development... and you only get one chance at it, and have to live with thst knowledge forever. Imagine Mahomet goind to NYJ, and ruin his career.  Thats robbing us as fans and the player of their potential.  Their power to control where they go is very limited, they're going to a bad team either way.  Just my opinion 🤷 

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, aristocrat said:

The jets should fire gase. Then tell teams...look what happened with tannehill after he left Miami give us your offers for Sam.  Indy, San Fran, minny? Would they give a first? Jets then have three firsts to start loading around Lawrence.  But I hope they won’t 

If they really though in half a season they could turn Darnold around to lead them for a Super Bowl run then yes...in other words a long shot.

21 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

Count me in the minority here, but I have a problem with these kids coming out of college and dictating where they will or won't go. It really rubs me the wrong way. I remember when Eli came out, and basically said he refused to go to the Chargers.  They ended up swinging a trade with the Giants and got an extra 1st rounder, or two?  I can't remember.  But even back then, I thought to myself, "what a primadonna".  And I don't have anything against Eli, but I'm old school.  I'm of the belief that playing in the National Football League is a privilege that less than 1% of the population ever gets bestowed upon them, and to be selected in the NFL draft is an honor of the highest level.  The NFL draft is a tradition that has gone on for as long as it has without a hitch, and was designed to promote competitiveness amongst teams.  Now you got these kids coming out of college, with everyone in their ear, telling them how great they are, how their crap doesn't stink, and they can tell the NFL where THEY want to go....really?  

I'm sorry, I just don't think it should be that way. IMO, you go where you're drafted.  If you have a problem with that, there's always the CFL, Arena football, the XFL, whatever.  But no NFL for you.  You had the chance, and you chose to make a statement "I'm bigger than the NFL."  So godspeed young man.  

I know I may be alone in my thinking, but I feel like if we start (or continue) letting these kids dictate where they go when they're drafted, or say where they won't go, we're setting ourselves up for further chaos and audacious actions down the road.  Furthermore, we're jeopardizing a tradition that has been a part of the league for damn near ever, and messing with the competitive spirit the game revolves around.   Just my two cents..

I don’t disagree.  I think the advice would be go back to Clemson.  Or transfer to SU :)

Edited by RyanC883
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Lawrence can just decide to go back to Clemson for his senior year if he doesn’t want to be a Jet.  While the team has been dysfunctional that may not be the main reason why.  He may not want go to a big market like NY, not everyone can handle the media and just sheer pressure being the face of the Jets or Giants. 

also why shouldn’t they have a say who they play for? That’s like saying you and I shouldn’t have a say for who we work for. 

My senior year at Pitt in 2001, when I was about to graduate, I had narrowed my job choice to two options, Hewlett-Packard in Atlanta, or IBM in Charlotte.  Literally ALL of my buddies chose to go to HP in ATL.  Being from Northern VA, I chose the option closer to home, and went with IBM in Charlotte(for less money I might add).  While multiple factors weighed in on my decision, I made an emotional choice rather than a logical one, and one that if I had to do over, I most certainly would've chosen differently.  

I have to admit you, amongst several others in this post, have made a valid point about making the best decision to secure a better/more stable for one's future.  I can't blame them for wanting to do that, and I appreciate all of your perspectives.

The only thing I hold onto is, and I hate to sound like a broken record, but I feel like the draft is a tradition that is as much a part of the league as, well, anything.  It was created to promote competitiveness amongst the teams, to prevent the best teams from basically snagging all the talent away from everyone else, and by gosh I think it's working just fine.  Seriously though, if we change things to allow college athletes to go wherever they want when they come out, where does that leave the bottom feeders year after year?  Free agency is great, but by itself I do not think it's enough to balance the scales.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

My senior year at Pitt in 2001, when I was about to graduate, I had narrowed my job choice to two options, Hewlett-Packard in Atlanta, or IBM in Charlotte.  Literally ALL of my buddies chose to go to HP in ATL.  Being from Northern VA, I chose the option closer to home, and went with IBM in Charlotte(for less money I might add).  While multiple factors weighed in on my decision, I made an emotional choice rather than a logical one, and one that if I had to do over, I most certainly would've chosen differently.  

I have to admit you, amongst several others in this post, have made a valid point about making the best decision to secure a better/more stable for one's future.  I can't blame them for wanting to do that, and I appreciate all of your perspectives.

The only thing I hold onto is, and I hate to sound like a broken record, but I feel like the draft is a tradition that is as much a part of the league as, well, anything.  It was created to promote competitiveness amongst the teams, to prevent the best teams from basically snagging all the talent away from everyone else, and by gosh I think it's working just fine.  Seriously though, if we change things to allow college athletes to go wherever they want when they come out, where does that leave the bottom feeders year after year?  Free agency is great, but by itself I do not think it's enough to balance the scales.  

Pitt in 2001, nice.  Fitzgerald years..I think.  Advice for Lawrence to transfer to Pitt also acceptable.!

Edited by RyanC883
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I mean, I get this line of thinking. but when you are the top 1% of your profession, you can handle things a little differently. Trevor Lawrence might be the best prospect since Luck. If he wants to set himself up in the best situation, he should do that. If he refuses to play for the Jets (which he has not said) 31 other teams would be more than happy to have him 

Also, this happens so rarely, I don't think it is really an issue 

Well said.  I think alot of my thought process was focused so much on "tradition", and leaving things as they are seeing as though I feel like if it ain't broke don't fix it.   But I'll be dammed, if I stop and put myself in these kids shoes, I would want a say in where I went too.  

10 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

I think that with Eli it is important to remember the context that he was being advised by his father.  He played for a really poorly run Saints team.  One year he led the conference in attempts, completions, and yards and the team finished with two wins.  Another year he was the NFC player of the year...and his team was 7-9.  Yes, there are teams that have ups and downs...with cyclical success and failure, but there are teams that are poorly run and always struggle (e.g. the football team).  Archie did NOT want his son to go through what he went through, and he was the driving force behind Eli saying he would not play for the Chargers.

Excellent freaking post, wow.  Breaking down how Archie went through a season leading the conference in attempts, completions AND yards and only finishing with TWO WINS?? Dammit if I wouldn't want to be on that team OR go to a team like that out of school.  Very, very good points man...

52 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Lol at bills fans pissed about this and forgetting about jim kelly. You reap what you sow as an organization and the jets owner and org tops the list IMO of dysfunctional. 

The thing that most people forget is that among the reasons Kelly didn't want to sign with the Bills is because the plan was for him to sit a year or more behind Joe Ferguson.  While the money & location are always mentioned, this never is.  

7 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Pitt in 2001, nice.  Fitzgerald years..I think.  Advice for Lawrence to transfer to Pitt also acceptable.!

Fitzgerald played the year after I left in 02, but I got to meet him my senior year when he was a senior at Valley Forge, he made multiple visits to Pitt. Good kid, humble, down-to-earth, and even though he struggled academically, he was a good student of the game...

If Lawrence transferred to Pitt I would spontaneously combust like that Asian karate master in Big Trouble in Little China. 😄

22 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

All that might be true, but beside the point.  The poster said that doing what Kelly did should bar him form entering the NFL.  Plus Kelly specifically didn't want to go to Buffalo.  He probably would have gone to Miami if they drafted him.

But he was all set to go to Buffalo until Bruce Allen's phone call got thru.  It was a viable option.  The scenario you alluded to isn't a viable option for Lawrence due to the difference in money.  So basically if the Jets get the first pick, unless the Jets are idiots and trade it away(ex...Irsay & the Colts) he will be playing for gang green or he will be playing for nobody.  Like Ernie Accorsi said when he was about to swing the trade for Manning "you pass on a franchise QB & you end up regretting it for the next 10 years."