Trevor Lawrence Advised to Avoid Jets

24 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Count me in the minority here, but I have a problem with these kids coming out of college and dictating where they will or won't go. It really rubs me the wrong way. I remember when Eli came out, and basically said he refused to go to the Chargers.  They ended up swinging a trade with the Giants and got an extra 1st rounder, or two?  I can't remember.  But even back then, I thought to myself, "what a primadonna".  And I don't have anything against Eli, but I'm old school.  I'm of the belief that playing in the National Football League is a privilege that less than 1% of the population ever gets bestowed upon them, and to be selected in the NFL draft is an honor of the highest level.  The NFL draft is a tradition that has gone on for as long as it has without a hitch, and was designed to promote competitiveness amongst teams.  Now you got these kids coming out of college, with everyone in their ear, telling them how great they are, how their crap doesn't stink, and they can tell the NFL where THEY want to go....really?  

I'm sorry, I just don't think it should be that way. IMO, you go where you're drafted.  If you have a problem with that, there's always the CFL, Arena football, the XFL, whatever.  But no NFL for you.  You had the chance, and you chose to make a statement "I'm bigger than the NFL."  So godspeed young man.  

I know I may be alone in my thinking, but I feel like if we start (or continue) letting these kids dictate where they go when they're drafted, or say where they won't go, we're setting ourselves up for further chaos and audacious actions down the road.  Furthermore, we're jeopardizing a tradition that has been a part of the league for damn near ever, and messing with the competitive spirit the game revolves around.   Just my two cents..

Lawrence would not be jeopardizing anything - he's a junior. If he stays in school, he runs the risk of getting injured without any guaranteed money. His choice and it probably depends on whether they win the national championship this year.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Count me in the minority here, but I have a problem with these kids coming out of college and dictating where they will or won't go. It really rubs me the wrong way. I remember when Eli came out, and basically said he refused to go to the Chargers.  They ended up swinging a trade with the Giants and got an extra 1st rounder, or two?  I can't remember.  But even back then, I thought to myself, "what a primadonna".  And I don't have anything against Eli, but I'm old school.  I'm of the belief that playing in the National Football League is a privilege that less than 1% of the population ever gets bestowed upon them, and to be selected in the NFL draft is an honor of the highest level.  The NFL draft is a tradition that has gone on for as long as it has without a hitch, and was designed to promote competitiveness amongst teams.  Now you got these kids coming out of college, with everyone in their ear, telling them how great they are, how their crap doesn't stink, and they can tell the NFL where THEY want to go....really?  

I'm sorry, I just don't think it should be that way. IMO, you go where you're drafted.  If you have a problem with that, there's always the CFL, Arena football, the XFL, whatever.  But no NFL for you.  You had the chance, and you chose to make a statement "I'm bigger than the NFL."  So godspeed young man.  

I know I may be alone in my thinking, but I feel like if we start (or continue) letting these kids dictate where they go when they're drafted, or say where they won't go, we're setting ourselves up for further chaos and audacious actions down the road.  Furthermore, we're jeopardizing a tradition that has been a part of the league for damn near ever, and messing with the competitive spirit the game revolves around.   Just my two cents..

Been happening since elway.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I don't think Kelly is a great comp here. He leveraged a different league and a big paycheck to avoid Buffalo. That's not quite the same as forcing a trade (like Eli) or forgoing the big paycheck for a year at the risk of injury (like Peyton).

Sure he is.  

This is what the poster said:  "IMO, you go where you're drafted.  If you have a problem with that, there's always the CFL, Arena football, the XFL, whatever.  But no NFL for you."

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Go yell at Jim Kelly

25 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Was just going to post this as well. 

9 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I don't think Kelly is a great comp here. He leveraged a different league and a big paycheck to avoid Buffalo. That's not quite the same as forcing a trade (like Eli) or forgoing the big paycheck for a year at the risk of injury (like Peyton).

A better example would be John Elway.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

See poster's quote above.  He specifically alludes to Kelly's exact scenario (go where you're drafted or play in another league, but no NFL for you)

I saw it.

The question now becomes, would Trevor Lawrence do something like this?

11 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I saw it.

The question now becomes, would Trevor Lawrence do something like this?

I saw it too.  I think it's a no brainer that Trevor won't go to an another league because the money just isn't there. The Kelly comp is a stretch. My recollection is the USFL was luring players like Kelly and Herschel with salaries comparable to the NFL. That option doesn't exist right now for Trevor. The options are to stay in college and hope for a better situation or force the situation. As I recall Elway used baseball (and the Yankees) as leverage. I guess Archie was Eli's leverage but I really don't know.

This is dumb.

I'm sure he was also advised to skip this college season and he ended up leading the campaign to play. So hopefully he can think for himself and ignore this BS. 

As much as I'd love to see the jets miss out on him college kids should not get to decide where they get drafted. 

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

Perhaps, but it is exactly like telling a certain team that you don’t want to play for them, something Kelly did before and after he was drafted. 

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

What exactly is wrong with that?

When you graduated college didnt you have a say in where you wanted to work? 

Who cares about tradition and a fantasy draft world. This is a person who has to consider how this move will impact the rest of his life and his family’s life. The Jets will move on as a franchise with or without Trevor for as long as the NFL is around. Trevor has one shot at this however. A window of a few years to realistically make an impression in the NFL. Im sure Darnold looks back now at his draft and wonders what wouldve been if another team drafted him. 

Again, count me in the minority, but that's just how I feel regarding the topic.  Sure, when I graduated I did have a say in where I went, but it certainly wasn't the National Football League.  And had it been, I would've been happy getting drafted by whatever team selected me.  Like I said, I think I'm more of an old-fashioned spirit in the sense that I respect tradition.  

I get what you're saying.  These kids are thinking about their future, and in the Not For Long league a single decision can be the difference between a 5 million dollar contract and a 500 million dollar one, a long, wonderful 15 year career or a 1 and done.  I get that.  All I'm saying is personally, I don't like the idea of turning the draft into an afterthought. If we start letting these college kids dictate where they end up going, how will teams remain competitive outside of free agency?   I envision days of the only teams to have the big name stars being the Cowboys, Steelers, Giants, etc...kinda like the Yankees in MLB.

Like I said, that's just my two cents...

1 hour ago, Looper said:

Lawrence would not be jeopardizing anything - he's a junior. If he stays in school, he runs the risk of getting injured without any guaranteed money. His choice and it probably depends on whether they win the national championship this year.

I totally understand that part of it.  These kids are wise to seriously consider coming out early with respect to risking a career ending injury.  If I was back in school and a junior and someone told me I was a guaranteed 1st rounder if I came out early, it would definitely be something I'd have to think about...

Edited by smuvtalker

1 hour ago, Sharky7337 said:

Been happening since elway.

I remember hearing something about that several years back but never dug it up and read any more about it.  

And i had NO idea whatsoever that Kelly did something like that, wow.....I mean he is my favorite player of all time.  It's not the most shocking thing I've ever heard, but still definitely a surprise...

But I still don't agree with it.  For arguments sake, those of you who think that college players SHOULD be able to dictate where they go or don't go, what do you think should happen to/with the draft?  How do teams remain competitive, especially in relation to superstars coming out of college?

1 hour ago, Looper said:

Peanuts compared to what he should make in the NFL, but he does have a $5 mil insurance policy should he get hurt and unable to play in the NFL.  

18 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Perhaps, but it is exactly like telling a certain team that you don’t want to play for them, something Kelly did before and after he was drafted. 

No argument there, the endgame was the same for Kelly, Eli and Elway.

But  I was responding to @smuvtalker  who didn't like players coming out and trying to dictate the team they go to. Eli and Elway are the comps IMO. Kelly had an equitable choice in terms of compensation from what I remember. Lawrence doesn't have an option similar to the USFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

QB in NYC is much better than a QB in Cincinnati or Jacksonville, hell most places in the NFL.  Lots of dysfunctional organizations out there.  Pretty sure the Jets made two AFC Championship games while the Bills went without a playoff game for 17 years.  Don't throw stones especially while our defense collapses before our eyes

The jets are in a worse position than the Knicks. No one.....and the Rock means NO ONE, chooses to join the knicks unless they’re severely overpaid and don’t care about winning games.

just a few years ago, the jets drafted the QB that “most experts” viewed as the better QB when comparing Darnold and Josh allen.  3 years later, Darnold career is in peril while Allen is on the fast track to super stardom.  That will tell you how bad it is being drafted to the jets.  Sure, there are teams will similar results, but maybe only a couple that MIGHT be seen as a worse situation that with the NYJ.  They are a train wreck from the head down to the feet, just like Dolan and the knicks

1 hour ago, Process said:

This is dumb.

I'm sure he was also advised to skip this college season and he ended up leading the campaign to play. So hopefully he can think for himself and ignore this BS. 

As much as I'd love to see the jets miss out on him college kids should not get to decide where they get drafted. 

Why not?  If I were Lawrence and I had the chance to choose, I’d absolutely choose.  This is his career that he’s worked extremely hard for. Why settle for less if you don’t have to?  Just because that’s the way it is?  It’s not the way it is if he doesn’t want it to be, he’s got it like that