Does Josh Allen remind anybody of much more athletic former Bills QB?

DBilz2500

22 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Brain dead? Based on what? I've met him a couple of times.  He is bright and now is a very successful businessman.

Brain dead as in how he played QB for the Bills particularly in 2003. Just stupid af.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

Maybe the last two losses have muddled my mind but does josh Allen remind anybody of a much more athletic “in his prime” Drew Bledsoe? Both are/were  big bodied players with big arms, scatter shot accuracy with the ability at any time to either have a 400 yard game or a stinker like last night. Drew was a guy that was always so close to being “The Guy” and was even capable of a few playoff wins with the right circumstances and players around him. He was one of those QBs that was always just good enough not to move on from but never quite good enough to be that elite, carry a team on his back Super Bowl winning QB. Is this the type of player that Allen may end up being? Flame away 

That Allen might be this type of player is my greatest fear.

I've said so from the beginning.  I just don't want to get stuck in Allen Limbo waiting for him to arrive while we don't really go anywhere for like 5 years.  

The QB I used for the example is Tannehill in Miami.

Drew Bledsoe X 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 athleticism not even close to Josh Allen.  Fitz right now is more athletic than a "in his prime" Bledsoe.

Edited by Azucho98

People forget how good Bledsoe was.  He is a borderline HOF QB.  We can only hope Josh is this good.  

From Wkikpedia:

Bledsoe ranks 5th all-time in completions (3,839), 7th in passing yards (44,611), and 13th in touchdown passes (251). Bledsoe's career (57.2) completion percentage is lower than all recent Hall of Fame quarterbacks with the exception of John Elway. Bledsoe's NFL career passer rating of (77.1) surpasses nine Hall of Fame Quarterbacks. Bledsoe's 37 regular season 300-yard passing games ranks 9th in league history. He also ranks 6th (with 6) in most career regular season 400-yard passing games by an NFL quarterback.

He lead his team to the SuperBowl twice, once as the starter and again coming off the bench in AFC Championship game to lead Pats from behind to a win over the Steelers (yet another AFC Championship game home loss for Cowher)

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

Maybe the last two losses have muddled my mind but does josh Allen remind anybody of a much more athletic “in his prime” Drew Bledsoe? Both are/were  big bodied players with big arms, scatter shot accuracy with the ability at any time to either have a 400 yard game or a stinker like last night. Drew was a guy that was always so close to being “The Guy” and was even capable of a few playoff wins with the right circumstances and players around him. He was one of those QBs that was always just good enough not to move on from but never quite good enough to be that elite, carry a team on his back Super Bowl winning QB. Is this the type of player that Allen may end up being? Flame away 

The fact is aside from Tom Brady nobody "Carries the team on their back" and just "wins the superbowl" what you are describing is hero ball and while we all may be under the illusion that it's Peyton Vs Brady or Mahommes vs Allen the fact is that it's the Buffalo Bills vs the Kansas City Chiefs. 

NO QB's are heroes. They are not batman, superman or anything else. GOOD TEAMS with balance playing disciplined football is what wins championships.  (That means running and passing, offense and defense... you know, balance. Like what KC has). 

Mahommes doesn't have to throw for 400 yards a game and dominate people with air raid offense, they have a running game, they have a defense, they get comfortable wins when mahommes throws for 250. 

When Allen throws for 250 it feels like we need him to perform just a few more miracles to make sure we win because literally nobody else on this team contributes diddly squat.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

hmm .. .. i like it.  A lot like Favre when he started out.  Yes.   Favre was so raw.  Yes.   but Favre got crazy accurate over time.   Josh is getting there.  

When you can do what Josh can do physically,  you really want to stick with this and see where it goes.   He wants to get better so badly.   the coaches will straighten him out.  

My bigger concern is that not many plays called have been very effective the past couple weeks.   Looked to me like Josh had nowhere to go with the ball most passing plays.  is that on him?  don't think so...  has the league figured out what Daboll is doing?    Josh/Daboll has definately hit a flat spot.   Need Feliciano and Spain back.  

We are missing a TE to go to in clutch situations.  Most teams in the NFL use the TE or multiple TE's as big time weapons.  We don't have one who can get down the field and hold onto the ball.  This team is unbelievably flawed everywhere but QB and WR.  And Josh still has his rough games as we saw the past couple weeks.  But you have to love his competitiveness and the way he can throw ropes all over the field when he is on.  

14 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

A larger more mobile Brett Favre, especially at the 3 year point of their careers

This. Favre is almost the perfect comparison in style, Josh has a huge size advantage.  Both very mobile, tough as nails, leaders, a little wild and make plays that very few other can come close to and both COMPLETELY INFURIATING at times.

The closest comparison I could come up with to a former Buffalo QB besides Jim Kelly (gunslinger attitude) is James Harris, and I really don't know how close they are besides being big bodied, strong armed and athletic.

Mostly, I think Josh Allen is unique in Buffalo's team history.

Edited by TigerJ
  • Like (+1) 1

I can't think of two players more different.

55 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

This. Favre is almost the perfect comparison in style, Josh has a huge size advantage.  Both very mobile, tough as nails, leaders, a little wild and make plays that very few other can come close to and both COMPLETELY INFURIATING at times.

Or Elway.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Did anyone else see during the KC game, he seems to refuse to check it down to the flat even on early downs. 

I’ve seen The same with Aaron Rodgers recently and early on Andrew Luck early in his career. 

I think he needs to start using that occasionally 

Allen has been using the check down more often than he used to. Not in the Kansas City game, but in other games this season.