Allen’s weapons relative to Tenn/KC

SCBills

I’m sorry but this is BS. I think Allen has improved a ton and he is far down of my list of worries at this point.  But take a look at Darnold’s weapons? How about Rodgers besides one good receiver? What about Miami? Are the Rams weapons better? 49ers?

allen is in a very good situation right now and the first 4 games of the season, he killed it.  He hit a bump but please stop making excuses.  It’s the most confident I’ve been in him but no more excuses. 

• Like (+1) 1

Weapons can always be better. That’s why you continue adding pieces through the draft and FA, but you aren’t going to have all-pros at every position. 

But that’s not the true problem here. We have plenty of weapons. The problem in this two game skid (leaving defense out of it) has been Josh’s regression. You can sprinkle in poor coaching, failed execution, and injuries and I won’t fight you there, but all roads lead back to the QB. The best ones rise above it and carry their team. Josh was doing that the first 4 weeks, but he has failed to do that the past 2 games against top competition. He needs to be better. “Simple” as that. 

11 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

This team still doesn't have that big bodied physical TE or WR who can truly move the chains when needed and/or be a go to red zone threat.

Duke Williams has showed flashes but obviously isn't going to get a chance here as long as Daboll's favorite gadget player is on the roster wasting snaps with this jet motion crap.

Knox has showed flashes but seems to be injury prone and can't seem to catch the ball consistently.

Just like with the defense, you do have to question how this front office chose to build the offense outside of the core WR group of Beasely, Brown and Diggs.

You nailed it in the last paragraph. That’s my concern at the moment. 

I don’t think a big bodied WR or TE is the make all solution here. Sure it’s a great upgrade, but Josh is second in the league in red zone TD’s at the moment. That isn’t the issue. Our group is a great one to have. As is the NFL in 2020, this offense will go as the QB goes. If Josh plays well we will win, if he doesn’t we will lose. It’s that simple on that side of the ball right now. 

Totallt agree with your concerns regarding RB and run blocking. Throw the front 7 and CB2 play into the mix as well. 

John Brown's injury has been the single biggest personnel problem.

Losing Milano has hurt far more than it should have but this team's new identity is as a high powered passing offense and prior to John Brown getting gimpy(admittedly not uncommon in his career) they were just rolling up points.

The best bang for the buck they could get at the trade deadline is probably trading for another veteran WR like Kenny Stills or Will Fuller from Houston that could fill Brown's role as an X or Z opposite of Diggs and let Brown go on IR for a month or so until he's healthy.    

I think as they get closer to the playoffs the defense will improve whether they add personnel or not.........the focus and intensity on the defensive side of the ball aren't good right now and that's a significant part of their issues.   It's become rather standard operating procedure for the defense to get discouraged and go on a mental vacation for a few weeks every season under McDermott.

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

John Brown's injury has been the single biggest personnel problem.

Losing Milano has hurt far more than it should have but this team's new identity is as a high powered passing offense and prior to John Brown getting gimpy(admittedly not uncommon in his career) they were just rolling up points.

The best bang for the buck they could get at the trade deadline is probably trading for another veteran WR like Kenny Stills or Will Fuller from Houston that could fill Brown's role as an X or Z opposite of Diggs and let Brown go on IR for a month or so until he's healthy.    

I think as they get closer to the playoffs the defense will improve whether they add personnel or not.........the focus and intensity on the defensive side of the ball aren't good right now and that's a significant part of their issues.   It's become rather standard operating procedure for the defense to get discouraged and go on a mental vacation for a few weeks every season under McDermott.

Your first sentence is what im referencing with this entire thread.  

A lot of people seem to think nobody gets hurt in the skill positions... Without Brown, we’ve struggled.  It’s incredibly obvious that this has played a part in the last 2 weeks.  

If anyone here wants to tell me we have enough talent when our offense is fully healthy... ok... Our WR room is pretty nasty, but that’s all we have “at the moment”.  Not saying a running game can’t develop... in fact, I expect it will. 

However, we have no change up as it currently stands... Brown goes down and our elite WR room becomes pretty good and that’s not enough against KC and Tenn when there’s no tight end threat or running game.

This isn’t meant to absolve Allen.  He was horrific last night.  Both things can be true.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BurpleBull said:

I think Feliciano back would make a world of difference in the run game. Kick Ford back to RG and play Feliciano at LG. 

That would alleviate the O-line issues I think, then it's on Moss from there.

I wasn't feeling the Moss pick at all, because of his lack of breakaway speed paired with Singletary's didn't make sense to me. 

I warmed up after repeatedly watching his highlights and listening on the intricacies that possibly made Moss better than I was giving him credit for. 

I'm hopeful that Moss will turn it on and show why so many people in here wanted him drafted.

Ford is out.  TBD how long.

1 hour ago, Penfield45 said:

the deeper rooted issue seems to be this coaching staff has no idea what they are doing. when it comes to big game they constantly get out coached and can't create a successful gameplan. 

I don't think I would go as far as to say that the coaching staff has no idea what they're doing, however,  I agree with your statement that when it comes to big games, they seem to repeatedly end up looking outmatched.  Thoroughly.  Aside from last year's win over the Cowboys on Thanksgiving, I'm struggling to find a "big game", or "meaningful" one where McDermott bested his rival.  I'm not a statistics guy, but for the life of me I'm having a hard time pulling one up.

I'm still smarting from last night's poop-fest, so I can admit I'm still a bit more emotional than I am logical, but I feel comfortable saying that these past two losses are just as much on McDermott as they are on the players, if not more so.  He did not have our boys ready to play last night.  

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Mcd has shown improvement. He’s conservative, but we’ve seen him show more aggression this season in some instances. When he’s confident his team will execute he doesn’t coach as scared. It’s not like he’s clueless that the defense has been bad. I think they have proven if players don’t buy in and do their job they’ll replace them with someone who will. Maybe we can’t replace some of these guys mid season but maybe the light can still turn on for some. Since the day he started here he’s gotten the absolute most from his players, they’ve played above their talent level. That’s not the case this season for whatever reason. I can’t see any scenario after that KC game Frazier and any and everyone on that defense did not get chewed out. They are all embarrassed, and if they’re not then they won’t be in this league much longer. 

im not blaming the defensive problems on mcd as much as Beane tbh. We know McD can coach a top defense, our FO however completely blew it in with FA this offseason and signed a bunch of mediocre players  

Pufnstuf came up huge with 2 TD's against the Rams, had one catch against the Raiduhs, and was blanked against the Titians and Chefs.  He's not even targeted anymore.  Is Josh even looking his way?  Hard to produce as a TE if you're not even targeted.  With Knox down, we should be looking at Pufnstuf.  If he's not getting open, then get Sweeney out there.

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

One thing that has stuck out to me, is how we still lag behind the elite teams when it comes to “weapons”.   

Coming into the season, we certainly didn’t expect to have no running game and we also thought Knox would make a jump.  

So far, we have no running game and Knox has not made the jump.  

That leaves Allen with our WR’s and a solid OL.    

However, you essentially take Brown out of the equation with his injury these past two weeks and we’re left with Diggs, Beasley and Davis as Josh’s “weapons”.  

Tannehill was down Davis and Humphries, but still had AJ Brown, Jonnu Smith and Derrick Henry.   

Mahomes down Watkins, but still has Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce and CEH.  

Diggs is a beast, but when we’re playing the elite, and our defense has been trash... we suddenly don’t look that scary when Brown is out and Allen has Diggs, Beasley and a rookie, against teams who also have multiple weapons at WR, plus a monster tight end and upper echelon running back.  

We need to be able to sustain a skill position injury, and right now, the lack of speed opposite Diggs is evident when we have no tight end threat or running game to speak of.  

The elite teams though.... they do, and they can sustain an injury to a WR2.  

Moss/Singletary/Knox... anyone involved in the run game.  Step up, because Allen and the WR room can’t, and shouldn’t have to, carry the offense every game. 

Even withput Brown our WR are still as good overall as most others.  TE doesn't even bother me that much as with the WR group we have, how manyh targets would be left even with an elite TE

RB though is a concern right now.

Maybe the issue will fix itself when Feleciano returns??

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

One thing that has stuck out to me, is how we still lag behind the elite teams when it comes to “weapons”.   

Coming into the season, we certainly didn’t expect to have no running game and we also thought Knox would make a jump.  

So far, we have no running game and Knox has not made the jump.  

That leaves Allen with our WR’s and a solid OL.    

However, you essentially take Brown out of the equation with his injury these past two weeks and we’re left with Diggs, Beasley and Davis as Josh’s “weapons”.  

Tannehill was down Davis and Humphries, but still had AJ Brown, Jonnu Smith and Derrick Henry.   

Mahomes down Watkins, but still has Tyreek Hill, Travis Kelce and CEH.  

Diggs is a beast, but when we’re playing the elite, and our defense has been trash... we suddenly don’t look that scary when Brown is out and Allen has Diggs, Beasley and a rookie, against teams who also have multiple weapons at WR, plus a monster tight end and upper echelon running back.  

We need to be able to sustain a skill position injury, and right now, the lack of speed opposite Diggs is evident when we have no tight end threat or running game to speak of.  

The elite teams though.... they do, and they can sustain an injury to a WR2.  

Moss/Singletary/Knox... anyone involved in the run game.  Step up, because Allen and the WR room can’t, and shouldn’t have to, carry the offense every game. 

I'd love for us to some day have a big, athletic, TE who can run and catch the ball.

Knox isn't the guy; too erratic and unreliable.  Kroft isn't the guy either.

He has more than enough "weapons" to be successful and the line isn't bad at pass blocking. Josh is still at the bottom of the league in time to throw at over three seconds, only ahead of Baker. He's only being pressured on 15% of drop backs, down from 23% last year. He still needs to work on his recognition in addition to accuracy. This group gets open for him though it'd be nice if we could hang on to the ball.

Edited by VW82

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Ford is out.  TBD how long.

I think Feliciano is key; he has the attitude on the O-line to go along with strength.

I think we could survive easily on Feliciano and Spain---if McDermott ever went back to him---until Ford returned.

From a passing perspective Allen is ranked 4th in the NFL in yardage 1,711 and 16 TD's 

Mahomes ranked 5th with 1,699 and 15 TD's

Tannehill ranked 19th with 1,368 and 13 TD's

Allens weapons relative to the Chiefs and Titans are more productive and scoring more points in the passing game.

Edited by Figster

4 hours ago, TheProcess said:

Weapons can always be better. That’s why you continue adding pieces through the draft and FA, but you aren’t going to have all-pros at every position. 

But that’s not the true problem here. We have plenty of weapons. The problem in this two game skid (leaving defense out of it) has been Josh’s regression. You can sprinkle in poor coaching, failed execution, and injuries and I won’t fight you there, but all roads lead back to the QB. The best ones rise above it and carry their team. Josh was doing that the first 4 weeks, but he has failed to do that the past 2 games against top competition. He needs to be better. “Simple” as that. 

When you are constantly praying for 300-400 yard heroics from your QB every single game just to eek out a "W" you are already losing because that is just not sustainable. 

Allen reverts to hero ball when hero ball becomes necessary because the entire team is not getting the job done. I don't think Josh was terrible in TN, but the pass-pass-pass game plan in the bad weather was not a great plan for KC. Plus josh is also injured if you think about it he hurt his non-throwing hsoulder pretty bad he wearing a brace for weeks now.

but why do we need Josh Allen to be a hero every single game just to get a win? Wouldn't it be nice for ONCE if ANYBODY ELSE I mean ANYBODY else on this team made a fkn play that changed a game? A pick six? critical stops when they are absolutely necessary? Anything? Breaking off a long run? Something? Anything? At all? Beuller? 

yeah this isnt' josh allens fault I'm good on all that noise.

Edited by BillsFan692

29 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

When you are constantly praying for 300-400 yard heroics from your QB every single game just to eek out a "W" you are already losing because that is just not sustainable. 

Allen reverts to hero ball when hero ball becomes necessary because the entire team is not getting the job done. I don't think Josh was terrible in TN, but the pass-pass-pass game plan in the bad weather was not a great plan for KC. Plus josh is also injured if you think about it he hurt his non-throwing hsoulder pretty bad he wearing a brace for weeks now.

but why do we need Josh Allen to be a hero every single game just to get a win? Wouldn't it be nice for ONCE if ANYBODY ELSE I mean ANYBODY else on this team made a fkn play that changed a game? A pick six? critical stops when they are absolutely necessary? Anything? Breaking off a long run? Something? Anything? At all? Beuller? 

yeah this isnt' josh allens fault I'm good on all that noise.

Who said anything about hero? Is it too much to ask to expect a certain level of consistent play out of a guy surrounded with more talent than he’s ever had in his third year in the same offense? Dude didn’t crack 100 yards passing until late in the game yesterday in a game where offensive production was paramount. Make excuses for Allen all you want, but he’s not playing his best ball right now. And I’m an Allen fan. Of course it would be nice if someone else stepped up from time to time and the receivers would quit with the untimely dropsies, but you’ve got to look at this objectively. He’s not getting it done the last two games like he was the first 4, or even close to it. 

The premise of the thread was about offensive weapons. I intentionally left defensive criticism out of this (and noted so in my post) to focus on the intent of the thread - the offense. Of course the defense could play better. Who on this board would say differently? I’ve got news for you though - There are no saviors walking through that door to lift us back to a top 3 defense. It is what it is this year. Roll with what you’ve got. Offense will have to be our defense this year. And it’s ok to expect more out of Josh Allen in year 3. 

• Like (+1) 1