2020 World Series

CowgirlsFan

1 hour ago, Uncle Joe said:

FIFY

The egregiously dirty slide by Utley, as well as ANYtime a pitcher throws a pitch with the intent of hitting the batter in the head (Clemens (cheater/child molester) vs. Piazza (Hall of Famer), have always been the exception and not the rule.  They have not, and should never be, part of baseball. 

21 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The egregiously dirty slide by Utley, as well as ANYtime a pitcher throws a pitch with the intent of hitting the batter in the head (Clemens (cheater/child molester) vs. Piazza (Hall of Famer), have always been the exception and not the rule.  They have not, and should never be, part of baseball. 

I remember the ill fated career of Tony Conigliaro. Head hunting by a pitcher that throws 90-105mph could be lethal and should be not a part of baseball.
However retaliation for a dirty slide like Utley's has gone on for well over a century.

Edited by Uncle Joe

35 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

I remember the ill fated career of Tony Conigliaro. Head hunting by a pitcher that throws 90-105mph could be lethal and should be not a part of baseball.
However retaliation for a dirty slide like Utley's has gone on for well over a century.

I agree with retaliation for a scum move like Utley's.  He never got it, though.  Nor did pedo-Clemens for hitting Piazza on the NY of his helmet.  If either of those things happened in the 80s, it wouldn't have taken Davey Johnson to say a word.  Both would have paid and rightfully so.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/22/2020 at 12:12 AM, Back the Blue said:

1st two games disappointing in that they weren’t close(1 run game or tie game) late in the game. 

Throw in the empty stadiums and the fact that I really don't care who wins or loses, and I have fund the whole thing to be something similar to watching paint dry.

I've only been able to force myself to watch about 10 minutes of the WS so far.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/21/2020 at 9:12 PM, Back the Blue said:

1st two games disappointing in that they weren’t close(1 run game or tie game) late in the game. 

The way baseball is played today, with every guy in the lineup capable of hitting it out (especially if it's the Dodgers), I find a 2 run game feels as close as a one run game did a generation ago.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/22/2020 at 11:49 AM, ExWNYer said:

Amen! I see that dip wad Jerry Reinsdorf is doing his best to block it. He was the lone dissenting vote and is buddies with A-Fraud.

He’s a f’n tool. I’ve been following the sale with a microscope and it wi t be long now. This Deblasio stuff is just crap too btw 

Game 3 thoughts...

- Beuhler was great.  It's too bad Charlie Morton wasn't up to the challenge.

- Last night was a reminder to Dave Roberts that if the game is close, DO NOT bring in Kenley Jansen.

- I like Mookie Betts, but the announcers raving about his defense and base running while his offense has been mediocre is tiring.  $365 mil contract, postseason totals...15 games, 6 Doubles, 1 HR, and 7 RBI.

- Tampa has shown they don't have the offense to come back, if falling behind by more than a couple runs.

Game 4...

Dodgers win tonight this series is all but over.  Therefore, here's hoping for a Tampa win tongiht.

Edited by Back the Blue

1 hour ago, Back the Blue said:

Game 3 thoughts...

- I like Mookie Betts, but the announcers raving about his defense and base running while his offense has been mediocre is tiring.  $365 mil contract, postseason totals...15 games, 6 Doubles, 1 HR, and 7 RBI.

I think Mookie is a game changer. I'm a Yankees fan and glad he is out of the division.
The game 1 sequence when he stole 2 bases and came home on a grounder in a Dodger uniform reminded me of Maury Wills.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Greybeard said:

I'm not sure Ray Fosse would agree with you.

It's unfortunate that play at the plate effectively ended Fosse's career but there was nothing dirty about it. I never liked Pete Rose but he was within the rules during that era and he always played balls to the wall. Whether or not you think it was unnecessary in an All-Star game is a different discussion but it wasn't dirty.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.