Going for 2 at 23-16

I was thinking that the Bills should have gone for two at 23-16.  If successful, then the fg KC kicked to make it 26, would have meant the Bills still could tie the game with another TD & 2 points.

To me you need to be aggressive & wonder what the wonderful sheet says is the play at that time😜.

The last drive (and int) meant nothing as it was a 9 point spread (2 scores).   

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 12

3 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Well the flip side of that coin is you don't get two, and need a td and extra point just to tie, not to win. 

It was the right call to go for 1.  Get a stop, score a Td, and take the lead. 

I'm fine with the decision. 

Agree 110%

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TwistofFate said:

Well the flip side of that coin is you don't get two, and need a td and extra point just to tie, not to win. 

It was the right call to go for 1.  Get a stop, score a Td, and take the lead. 

I'm fine with the decision. 

In a game where you aren't stopping the offense I think going for 2 was right. If successful it gave your defense the ability to bend and give up a FG to keep it a one score game with plenty of time on the clock and your timeouts to slow KC's grinding of the clock. In a game where your defense is playing better I think maybe taking the point would have been better. 

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

Or score a td and one 2 point convert and win 24-23.

There was plenty of time left and KC did get a field goal.

We're talking about one of the best offenses in the NFL.

Just as a devils advocate point. The defense did almost force a fumble to give the offense the ball down 6 deep in KC territory. So it almost worked. I do think you do go for 2 to try and go down 5 given the context of the game, but its not the worst call either. 

• Like (+1) 1

Agreed, totally should have gone for 2 in this game.

Essentially kicking the PAT last night was an equivalent decision as going for 2 with no time left while the PAT could have tied the score.  This was more aggressive to kick the PAT, and go for the win with 2-touchdowns.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

In a game where you aren't stopping the offense I think going for 2 was right. If successful it gave your defense the ability to bend and give up a FG to keep it a one score game with plenty of time on the clock and your timeouts to slow KC's grinding of the clock. In a game where your defense is playing better I think maybe taking the point would have been better. 

Just as a devils advocate point. The defense did almost force a fumble to give the offense the ball down 6 deep in KC territory. So it almost worked. I do think you do go for 2 to try and go down 5 given the context of the game, but its not the worst call either. 

Not saying it wasn't. I just thought at that time going for two made sense however we know McDermott would never do that because he has so much confidence in his defense.

11 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I was thinking that the Bills should have gone for two at 23-16.  If successful, then the fg KC kicked to make it 26, would have meant the Bills still could tie the game with another TD & 2 points.

To me you need to be aggressive & wonder what the wonderful sheet says is the play at that time😜.

The last drive (and int) meant nothing as it was a 9 oint spread.   

How about Bass just makes his very makeable 52 yard FG at the end of the half instead of kicking the ball off camera?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Well, you have one shot at a two point conversion.  You have multiple shots for your defense to make a play...which they almost did. 

Bass doesn't miss a 52 yarder at the end of the half things change too. 

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Not saying it wasn't. I just thought at that time going for two made sense however we know McDermott would never do that because he has so much confidence in his defense.

I fully agree they should have went for 2. Given that the gameplan was to try and give up field goals instead of TD's it would have made sense to get 2 to give your defense the ability to give up a FG and keep it a one score game. 

Just now, TwistofFate said:

Well, you have one shot at a two point conversion.  You have multiple shots for your defense to make a play...which they almost did. 

Bass doesn't miss a 52 yarder at the end of the half things change too. 

I agree, Bass making that kick helps this team a lot. It not only would have tied the game and possibly made it so that the game was within one score longer but it also would have given the team some momentum going into the half. Its a 52 yarder in the wind and rain. I am not cutting Bass over it but that's a big miss.

Wouldn't have made one bit of difference. 

If the Chiefs needed a TD if they led 23-18, they would have CERTAINLY gotten that TD to put this game away.

It was pretty evident that the Chiefs knew they could do whatever they wanted against the pitiful Bills D.

Just now, SDS said:

I said it in the shout box as soon as they scored they should have gone for two. I have heard the other argument, but I think mine is better.

My son sam texted me from college and was irate they didn't go for two because they weren't going to stop kc from getting a fg. I told him to settle down and that the bills made the right decision. He was right; I was wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

How about Bass just makes his very makeable 52 yard FG at the end of the half instead of kicking the ball off camera?

Did you see the game last night?  Did you notice the weather conditions?

52 yard FGs are rarely "very makeable" in the type of conditions played in last night and probably 50-50 under perfect conditions or in a dome.

People treating the Bass miss like it was a chip shot...:doh:

10 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

My son sam texted me from college and was irate they didn't go for two because they weren't going to stop kc from getting a fg. I told him to settle down and that the bills made the right decision. He was right; I was wrong. 

No, you were right...the defense should have stopped a THIRD AND TWELVE play and given the Bills offense the ball for a chance to win the game.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

52 yard FGs are rarely "very makeable" in the type of conditions played in last night and probably 50-50 under perfect conditions or in a dome.

Yeah I don't know man...league average for 50+ yard FG's this year is 62.1%(41 made, 66 attempts).  I feel like every time we play a team their kickers make them without issue.

Edited by matter2003

3 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

No, you were right...the defense should have stopped a THIRD AND TWELVE play and given the Bills offense the ball for a chance to win the game.

As soon as Mahomes rolled out, I knew it was over. I knew someone would be wide open. 

Just now, matter2003 said:

Yeah I don't know man...league average for 50+ yard FG's this year is 62.1%(41 made, 66 attempts).  I feel like every time we play a team their kickers make them without issue.

It's really the nature of the miss. That was a Van der Jagt level miss. It was 20 yards to the right!