Dolphins name Tua Tagovailoa starting QB going forward

YoloinOhio

Very strange all around. Very strange that the general plan, if one existed, was not known, but perhaps more surprising is how unprofessional Fitz's response is. If this were any other player, everyone would be blasting him for being selfish and not a team player. You pretty much have to trade or release him at this point.

3 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Very strange all around. Very strange that the general plan, if one existed, was not known, but perhaps more surprising is how unprofessional Fitz's response is. If this were any other player, everyone would be blasting him for being selfish and not a team player. You pretty much have to trade or release him at this point.

I take back some of my comments in this thread (defending the move) due to the fact I thought Fitz would have been informed of the plan way ahead of time.

As to his unprofessionalism I guess fans can make their own minds up.  Fitz said what he felt in the moment.

• Like (+1) 1

The most dangerous position in football is to be the first string quarterback with Fitzpatrick sitting on the bench behind you.  You might as well dodge traffic on the interstate or stick your hand in a hive of bees.  I give the rookie two weeks at most, he'll have some sort of fluke injury, and Fitzpatrick will be right back in the starting lineup.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

He acts as if Tua wasn’t just drafted 5th overall to be the franchise QB. I guess he felt he needed to play himself out of the job to be replaced. At least he wasn’t stabbed by the team doctor in order to facilitate the switch. 

It's surprising how bad he's handling this. He felt this was "his team" for the first time since Buffalo? Really not the 2015 Jets? His brand has being a good teammate and acting as a mentor to young QBs. 100% the Dolphins should have talked with him before it was leaked to the press, but this (sincere) outburst won't help with team cohesion and the players rallying around, and showing patience, with Tua. This could cost him a bunch of money down the line, I'm sure GMs drafting a rookie QB are taking notes.

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It is time to come home oh bearded one. I just want this guy back in Buffalo, not to replace Josh. 

1 hour ago, 416BillsFan said:

It's surprising how bad he's handling this. He felt this was "his team" for the first time since Buffalo? Really not the 2015 Jets? His brand has being a good teammate and acting as a mentor to young QBs. 100% the Dolphins should have talked with him before it was leaked to the press, but this (sincere) outburst won't help with team cohesion and the players rallying around, and showing patience, with Tua. This could cost him a bunch of money down the line, I'm sure GMs drafting a rookie QB are taking notes.

Would hardly call his response an "outburst" and I'm sure money is not an issue with Fitz.  His wife (he wears his wedding ring when he plays ;)) is a good friend of Harvard alum Mark Zuckerberg and was an original investor in Facebook.

• Like (+1) 1

Fitz was having a lot of fun out there and really carrying the team emotionally. The fact that this timing blindsided him is not good for the Dolphins. The players really seemed to love Fitz and the team winning, I am sure there are mixed feelings in the locker room. It appears they didn't handle this transition very well.

I have to admit I was really enjoying watching Fitz play this year, he was having fun playing with his heart on his sleeve.

Edited by Turk71

Its the Herbert effect. Herbert comes off the bench and for 4 straight games is throwing accurate lasers 60 yard down field.

There is no waiting for 3 years with in depth discussions on whether Herbert can be accurate or be over 60% completion percentage.

We've seen Herbert be incredibly accurate 4 games in.

The dolphins are wondering if they have their own version of Herbert, hence the move.

Edited by JakeFrommStateFarm

“I was shocked by it. It definitely caught me off guard,” Fitzpatrick said, via Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald. “It was a hard thing for me to hear (on Tuesday), just digesting the news. My heart just hurt all day.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ryan-fitzpatrick-was-shocked-heartbroken-by-benching/ar-BB1agu8p?ocid=msedgdhp

This is very out of character for a selfless, team first guy who handles things in-house. A strong role model who is eager to show younger guys the ropes. A savvy vet who knows that he’s just holding the reins for the young thoroughbred. Definitely not someone who wouldn’t renegotiate his contract and would rather take less money to be another team’s backup. 

16-F7-FAC8-E133-4-FF9-AF0-C-836-DF14-CE0

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He acts as if Tua wasn’t just drafted 5th overall to be the franchise QB. I guess he felt he needed to play himself out of the job to be replaced. At least he wasn’t stabbed by the team doctor in order to facilitate the switch. 

Give Tua 10 games this season, Dolphins have 2 firsts and 2 seconds in the next draft, Texans picks will be good. They are a pretty dynamic team right now, if Tua plays to expectations, they'll be an excellent team as soon as next season.

"My heart just hurt all day," Fitzpatrick said. "It was heartbreaking for me. Flo said what he said, and said what he said to you guys as well, and that's the decision and direction the organization is going in. Obviously, we've talked in the past about how, I'm the placeholder, and this eventually was going to happen. It was just a matter of when, not if. It still just broke my heart yesterday and it's a tough thing for me to hear and to know have to deal with. And I'm going to do my best with it."

Fitz is simply the best man in the NFL, bar absolutely none.

Flores:  See you next Tuesday...

• Like (+1) 1

There’s no way that this was the plan.  My sense is that Flores was feeling some pressure by management or on himself to show what Tua could do.

By all accounts, Tua was ok but not overly  impressive in training camp.  For weeks Flores said he was not ready when asked by reporters.  

Now he throws 2 passes and he’s suddenly ready to take over?  And Fitz wasn’t given a head’s up?

I do agree that he needs to play this season, but I also feel that Miami was about to hit its stride as a team.  It feels like this move is sacrificing this season for Tua’s development, which might be good in the long run.  But you have to feel for Fitz

14 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Its going to be tough for Fitz going from being the starter to running the scout team.

Of course it is

But he knew when he re-upped for this coming season that the Dolphins were planning to draft their "QB of the Future" and that he was keeping the seat warm for that guy

36 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

There’s no way that this was the plan.  My sense is that Flores was feeling some pressure by management or on himself to show what Tua could do.

By all accounts, Tua was ok but not overly  impressive in training camp.  For weeks Flores said he was not ready when asked by reporters.  

Now he throws 2 passes and he’s suddenly ready to take over?  And Fitz wasn’t given a head’s up?

I do agree that he needs to play this season, but I also feel that Miami was about to hit its stride as a team.  It feels like this move is sacrificing this season for Tua’s development, which might be good in the long run.  But you have to feel for Fitz

I agree that the way this was handled opens the door to questions about pressure from management

• Like (+1) 1

Fitz should go online and look up his bank account balances and his stock portfolio.

Maybe pop over to Ferrari of Miami on Biscayne Blvd. and treat himself to a F8 Tributo.  

He'll feel much better.