Dolphins name Tua Tagovailoa starting QB going forward

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

WTF are they doing?

Gotta get him in there. They know they’re not ready to seriously compete right now. But if Tua is what they crack him up to be, this will be great experience starting next year and beyond. For as relieved as we are that NE* appears to have fallen finally back to the pack, it’s not a ‘gimme’ that the Division is ours for the foreseeable future. Their foreseeable future doesn’t include Fitz,

That’s what they’re doing.

• Like (+1) 1

If I was a Dolphins fan I would like this move.  If Tua hits the ground running like Burrow & Herbert have he has a chance to lead the fish to the playoffs in his rookie season.  If he struggles but gets better as the season plays out that's still good for Miami even if they miss the payoffs. 

As an aside if I'm a NE fan I'm getting nervous that my elite program is about to crash and burn for years.  My coach is real old and not getting any younger.  Newton is not the answer and I'm not getting a top 10 pick.  And if the Jets can close the deal and lock up the #1 pick the AFC East will have Allen, Tua & Lawrence.  Can yous say last place finishes for the foreseeable Patriot future.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t know if it’s smart to put him in yet. I’m not sure if many of us actually watch dolphin games outside vs us, but those players really really love Fitz. I can’t imagine it’s good for the locker room to make the move while Fitz is still playing decent. They just blew out the 49ers and Jets and played Seattle pretty tough. 
Kinda seems like a we’re giving up so let’s see what the kid has move as opposed to we have a better shot of winning with Tua. 
If Tua doesn’t play well they’ve set themselves up for disaster if they have to turn back. 

I don't get this move.  

Young QB's dont seem to get worse by sitting on the bench for a year.  More importantly, why would you do it NOW when your current QB is playing pretty good and you just came off some good games?  Now if he does poorly, he can take blame for 'ruining' a good season.  Not much of a reason to not wait a bit longer in my mind.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

you will be eating crow.  Tua is the real deal.   They are setting up for next season.   Their team is pretty good and the kid won't get beat up bc you can't catch him.   His accuracy is unbelievable.  He will be better than Josh for sure, and I think Josh is really good.  

I think he's on a massive hype train. Seems like just another small Alabama system QB to me.

2 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

The game was 24-0 on ice when Tua stepped in. What in God's name are you thinking?

They’re getting him some playing time experience. Most likely front office saw the way LA and Cinci were letting their rookies start and again the up and down play from Fitz had a big influence on Tua starting. Can’t lie though it brought a smile to my face when the camera panned on Fitz Cheering and rooting for Tua. Not a good QB but a great teammate

• Like (+1) 1

What are the Dolphins thinking? I have a guess. And the Fitz fan section might want to take a seat for this, but for all of his beard hair, he’s got 0 playoff games under his belt. Perhaps the 15th time is the charm. There’s hope. I predict another Fitz thread with a variation of that title. 

But it appears Miami’s analytics department have done the math and feel that the value of developmental reps outweighs the ups and downs of a flighty vet who will leave town to either another payday, or a well deserved retirement. 

p.s. he wears his wedding ring

p.p.s. he’s got a beard

Edited by benderbender
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think they must have been getting a lot of pressure to do this with Herbert and Burrow out there playing so well. 

Maybe they always planned to make the change at the bye week?

Wow, am shocked, but guessing that was the paln all along, they just never expected to be 3-3 and one game off the lead.

Does seem like a huge risk of losing the team if this blows up which a good chance it will just because rookies typically struggle.

Does make me wonder if this came down from above.

17 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The first team to successfully pull him out before the "bad Fitz" stretch starts.  Well played Miami.

Or you just enter the Fitz cycle and Tua is now destined to be pulled or injured. The cycle must complete itself, Tua is toast, another victim waiting in the wings. 

6 hours ago, aristocrat said:

fitz has 4 tds and 5 picks on the season.  i'm assuming they want to score some more passing tds and perhaps tua gives them that.  now they have two weeks to get ready and flores is a damn good coach it seems.  fitz did the team right getting them where they are and even could be in a better spot had they beaten us.  if tua comes out and plays like herbert has then the phins will be flirting with double digit wins. 

6 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

He has 12 TDs (2 were rushing) and 7 turnovers in 6 games. Very middle of the road this year.

Facts do not stop irrational ranting. @aristocrat has proved it for several years now.

Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Pass Rush Rush Rush Rush Rece Rece Rece Rece Rece Scor Scor Fumb Fumb Off. Off.
Date Week Tm   Opp Result Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD Int Rate Sk Yds Y/A AY/A Rush Yds Y/A TD Tgt Rec TD Ctch% Y/Tgt 2PM TD Fmb FR Num Pct
2020-09-13 1 MIA @ NWE L 11-21 20 30 66.67 191 0 3 44.6 1 9 6.37 1.87 5 18 3.60 0 0 0 0 0.0%   1 0 1 1 62 100%
2020-09-20 2 MIA   BUF L 28-31 31 47 65.96 328 2 0 100.3 3 17 6.98 7.83 3 12 4.00 0 0 0 0 0.0%     0 0 0 75 100%
2020-09-24 3 MIA @ JAX W 31-13 18 20 90.00 160 2 0 133.3 1 4 8.00 10.00 7 38 5.43 1 1 1 0 100.0% 0.00   1 0 0 61 100%
2020-10-04 4 MIA   SEA L 23-31 29 45 64.44 315 0 2 66.4 1 3 7.00 5.00 6 47 7.83 1 0 0 0 0.0%     1 0 0 71 100%
2020-10-11 5 MIA @ SFO W 43-17 22 28 78.57 350 3 0 154.5 2 8 12.50 14.64 3 16 5.33 0 0 0 0 0.0%     0 0 0 67 100%
2020-10-18 6 MIA   NYJ W 24-0 18 27 66.67 191 3 2 93.3 2 8 7.07 5.96 1 4 4.00 0 0 0 0 0.0%     0 0 0 51 91%
6 minutes ago, Mango said:

Or you just enter the Fitz cycle and Tua is now destined to be pulled or injured. The cycle must complete itself, Tua is toast, another victim waiting in the wings. 

The difference in cycle Tua came pre-injured.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

They’re getting him some playing time experience. Most likely front office saw the way LA and Cinci were letting their rookies start and again the up and down play from Fitz had a big influence on Tua starting. Can’t lie though it brought a smile to my face when the camera panned on Fitz Cheering and rooting for Tua. Not a good QB but a great teammate

So did I.  Fitz will continue to help Tua from the sidelines and when the D is on the field.  He will be a good tutor and teammate like he

always has been.  He couldn't do that if he was still playing.  Might as well use it before he leaves next year.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

Wow! That is really a surprise to me.

Fitzy was having a really good season. Why not let the kid learn while you can and put him in when Fitz inevitably cools off? This could be a real mistake if Tua has some rookie struggles.

He will have some rookie struggles only thing I can think of they don’t want to mess up that hi draft pick and at same time let him get his feet wet. Because really how good the fish are playing they could fight for that last wild card. I mean let’s be honest They can beat the bills right now. 

People are sleeping on Fitz.  He has played very well all year and was a big reason why they have been winning.  The Miami OL is actually not that good but Fitz has been getting the ball out on average of like 2.75 seconds with good accuracy.  

If the idea is to sacrifice a potential Wild Card spot for the future, it makes sense.  But I definitely don’t think this move will help this season during a time when things were rolling

I haven’t read all nine pages of the thread (only the first) but I think it’s important to remember that we are not seeing how Tua has practiced. If he’s the best option, why not?

He was an amazing QB at the apex of the SEC. 

I have a soft spot for Fitz, too, but he’ll go on to team nine or ten, the beard will grow and all will be well in his world. 

Edited by TroutDog