Dolphins name Tua Tagovailoa starting QB going forward

YoloinOhio

Wow! That is really a surprise to me.

Fitzy was having a really good season. Why not let the kid learn while you can and put him in when Fitz inevitably cools off? This could be a real mistake if Tua has some rookie struggles.

• Like (+1) 10

I think they must have been getting a lot of pressure to do this with Herbert and Burrow out there playing so well. 

Just now, Captain Hindsight said:

Surprised considering how well Fitz has played, but this was going to happen sooner or later

Maybe they always planned to make the change at the bye week?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Smart move.  Fitz isn't leading any team to the promised land, so get your highly touted rookie out there in this current, more controlled, gameday environment without fan pressure/noise to deal with.  Also, you can keep him upright now since the league is allowing offensive linemen to tackle defensive players without any repercussion.  

• Like (+1) 1

Makes no sense to me.

They are 3-3 and their next 3 are Rams, Cardinals and Chargers.   If they are going to make the switch they should do it after that stretch, if they out of the playoffs and let him start against Denver.   That way he'll have that start and then starts against Jets and Bengals before facing the Chiefs, Pats, Raiders and Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think they must have been getting a lot of pressure to do this with Herbert and Burrow out there playing so well. 

Maybe they always planned to make the change at the bye week?

That's probably the main reason.

Want to show the NFL that their shiny new toy is just as good as theirs.

• Like (+1) 3

Yea, this makes 0 sense. I knew eventually the kid was going to get in there -- but only after they were eliminated from the playoffs or Fitz started stinking up the joint. Well, right now they are just 1 game out of first place and Fitza has been playing great.

If Tua gets in there and starts making rookie mistakes -- the outcry from fans will be to go back to Fitz. What will that do to the psyche of the young QB?

Just now, Process said:

Uhhh thanks Miami?

Fitz has them firmly in the playoff and division race. This makes absolutely no sense.

I wouldn't be so quick to make such declarations.  Tua would have been the first or second pick in the draft if not for his hip injury.  Given what we've seen from Burrow and Herbert, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tua excel from the jump.