What is Wrong With the Defense

9 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

As others have noted we got smaller and less physical on the D-line compared to last year and it shows on the field.

Oliver is the key.  We talk about what a disaster missing on Allen would be and IMO we haven't as Allen is a franchise QB.  But we used a #7 pick on Allen and we used I believe a #9 pick for Oliver in 2019.  A top 10 pick has to produce or it's a real problem.  So far Oliver has under performed and that has got to change.

One other point, how much of the LB's problems are tied to a D-line that can't occupy the opponents O-line allowing them to release and blast our LB's?

Oliver and Edmunds seem to be trending as busts. Still too early but both haven't lived up to expectations. We really needed them to step up. Oliver barely gets his name called in a game. Edmunds is constantly out of position or missing tackles. I'm no expert but I really don't think it's the coaches or the scheme. They have been successful with it for a few years now. The common denominator is the players. The offense is going to have to win us games. 

• Like (+1) 1

1. White almost opts out and he's playing like he'd rather be home.

2. Obviously losing Star, Shaq & Jordan killed this D as their replacements are bad (except for maybe Addison)

3. As soon as Lorax retired, McB had no plan for who their 3rd LB would be? Now forced to "nickel" thru the rest of the year.

4. No improvement from Edmunds and Milano always hurt.

5. No pass rush

No run stop

• Like (+1) 1

Bills often play only two LB's.  One starter (Milano) is injured.  The other (Edmunds) makes no impact.  The backups are underwhelming.  The D-line is (read above).

The result is that the safeties are having to handle most of the run support (IMO) in addition to having to the whole D backfield having to cover longer.  I really don't have too much to say that's negative about the defensive backfield given the injuries and the fact that many plays that should have been stopped at the line or 5 yards past it are now all falling to the safeties and DB's.

The Bills were absolutely resolute about wanting to limit the Chief's big play pass offense at the cost of leaving the D on the field too long and getting slapped around on runs.  Perhaps better personnel adjustments to the run could have been made if we had clear LB depth.

Watch the Damien Williams TD. Edmunds does what he does on most plays. He hesitates, then goes to the Chiefs RG at the exact same time as a Williams goes to the left. 

is that him or the defense scheme? I’m not 100% sure but it keeps happening.

edmunds also gets dragged for extra yards constantly on tackles. 

and if you think star will help that I’d like to hear why 

Edited by Chemical

18 hours ago, Southern Bills Fan said:

How many times will they have to watch the film and see Hughes crash inside and the QB run outside where he should be and gain 20 yards before they sit him?

Sadly I agree. I have always been a Hughes fan. He was a great player for us, but as in NFL football, sooner or later Father Time catches up with you. Father Time has caught up with Hughes. Hughes, it was a good run, thank you for all the effort and dedication, and thank you for the memories. But Father time has won.

18 hours ago, turftoe said:

Losing Lawson, Phillips, and Lotulelei has really hurt.

Think of those three replaced by Klein, Zimmer, Epenesa and Cox. That's supposed to be a wakeup call to Murphy and Phillips. It's a wakeup call, all right, but to the fans and I hope Beane, who may be beginning to figure out that McDermott just may not know what he's doing after all. What a strategy. "I got it! Let's play the JV against the best team in the NFL on national TV! That'll light a fire under our D-line starters. And I'll inactivate those starters for good measure! My JV players are so good, no WAY will we need our best run stoppers in the game."

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, turftoe said:

Losing Lawson, Phillips, and Lotulelei has really hurt.

People here always put down Lawson because they said he was very good at setting the edge, but it wasn't enough, it really was all about the sacks. And he did not get enough of them. Now see what happens in 2020 with the run when you don't have someone good at setting the edge.

Haven’t read through all the comments but the answer to what’s wrong with the defense should be obvious: EVERYTHING. They need major help at all three levels...line, linebackers, and secondary. The fact that the coaching staff seems utterly oblivious to this makes it all the more troubling. 

4 hours ago, Chemical said:

Watch the Damien Williams TD. Edmunds does what he does on most plays. He hesitates, then goes to the Chiefs RG at the exact same time as a Williams goes to the left. 

is that him or the defense scheme? I’m not 100% sure but it keeps happening.

edmunds also gets dragged for extra yards constantly on tackles. 

and if you think star will help that I’d like to hear why 

To your last question, just watch us on Def the two prior years compared to this year. It will make sense right away. If not, there's not enough explaining to help you with that question. Star is the difference, like it or not.

8 minutes ago, Dopey said:

To your last question, just watch us on Def the two prior years compared to this year. It will make sense right away. If not, there's not enough explaining to help you with that question. Star is the difference, like it or not.

I disagree. I could say it’s Shaq Lawson using your logic, but I don’t have any proof which apparently isn’t necessary.  If that doesn’t make sense to you then no amount of explaining will help you. 

Edited by Chemical

2 minutes ago, Chemical said:

I disagree. I could say it’s Shaq Lawson using your logic, but I don’t have any proof which apparently isn’t necessary.  If that doesn’t make sense to you then no amount of explaining will help you. 

Your response shows you didn't pay attention the previous two seasons. Your Shaq logic is very flawed. Shows you don't get what I said or just want to be right. Again, it's easy to see STAR is the difference. If it doesn't make sense to you...you know the drill.

Just now, Dopey said:

Your response shows you didn't pay attention the previous two seasons. Your Shaq logic is very flawed. Shows you don't get what I said or just want to be right. Again, it's easy to see STAR is the difference. If it doesn't make sense to you...you know the drill.

Ok I say the same to you Dopey but with word Shaq replaces with Star. Ok Dopey thank you. Here is example for you:

Your response shows you didn't pay attention the previous two seasons. Your Star logic is very flawed. Shows you don't get what I said or just want to be right. Again, it's easy to see SHAQ is the difference. If it doesn't make sense to you...you know the drill

2 minutes ago, Chemical said:

Ok I say the same to you Dopey but with word Shaq replaces with Star. Ok Dopey thank you. Here is example for you:

Your response shows you didn't pay attention the previous two seasons. Your Star logic is very flawed. Shows you don't get what I said or just want to be right. Again, it's easy to see SHAQ is the difference. If it doesn't make sense to you...you know the drill

I have a 3 year old grandson that sounds more mature than you. Sorry I wasted my time on you. 

Carry on.

Edited by Dopey

23 hours ago, njbuff said:

They suck.

End thread.

That @JGMcD2 guy had a point.  And that point is that "They suck" posts are the Football Board version of breasts on a chicken - totally useless for the useful purposes of chickens.

Why do they suck?  What makes them suck?  What could make them better?  Agree or disagree, all of those foster discussion.

Just "They Suck, End Thread" does not - I mean, congratulations Einstein, I guess we can turn out the lights, shut the board down, and go home now, You've spoken?

• Haha (+1) 1