The LB Situation Moving Forward

H2o

This is year 3 of Tremaine Edmunds at MLB and he simply isn't getting it done. I have no doubt that he is trying to play through his shoulder injury, but it is the mental mistakes that are still on display. Last year he looked like he was making some progress, but this year he looks like a rookie all over again. Losing his gap integrity and getting caught up in the wash. Not processing what he sees on the field fast enough to where he simply reacts to make a play. Missing tackles(could be due to the shoulder). Ineffective when blitzing because he doesn't look for a gap to shoot through, he simply runs into blockers. In coverage a lot of times I have noticed that when a pass has been completed underneath he has had his back to the receiver who caught the ball. Maybe he needs to be switched to SLB so he can roam like Thomas Davis did in Carolina? I don't know, but at this point I can't see us picking up his 5th year option. Then you have Milano who is good when on the field, but he always seems to get dinged up. Do we pay the man or do we let him walk in FA? It's a tough situation for this McD and FO to decide. Personally, I'm hoping Milano gives us some resemblance of a hometown discount and we can get him re-signed for 3 more years at least. I hope they move Edmunds to the outside and shift their draft focus to a legit MLB in 2021. Then we have the depth situation that needs to be addressed. Klein is obviously the weakest link in the unit and is a liability most of the time he's on the field. Dodson is ok, but can't stay on the field either it seems. We may end up needing 3 starting LB's out of the next offseason. It's a scary thought considering the deficiencies we have elsewhere on defense as well. 

The Bills D desperately misses Star Lotuleilei and Jordan Phillips.

Our DTs are tiny, and they get pushed around way too easily, meaning Edmunds has to fight through a ton of blocks to get to the ball carrier. 

It all starts up front, and our DTs are getting abused in the run game. As a result our linebackers look useless. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 5

If they stopped being stupid & stubborn and moved Edmunds to the outside, I'd have no problem giving him a decent contract. And I'd keep Milano on a sub 8M/ yr deal but keep him on the other side. The question is who to go after as a MLB?  I'd call Minnesota on Kendricks. Our LB depth is terrible.  Until we get the DL fixed it won't matter who are LB's are......

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Our DTs are tiny, and they get pushed around way too easily, meaning Edmunds has to fight through a ton of blocks to get to the ball carrier. 

It all starts up front, and our DTs are getting abused in the run game. As a result our linebackers look useless. 

It really is hard to watch.  Just knowing that every drive by the other team will be the death by 1000 papercuts.  Nobody is going to bother passing against the Bills.  Just ram the ball down our throats and win the ToP game 2:1 and watch us run run pass punt 3 and out. 

2 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

It really is hard to watch.  Just knowing that every drive by the other team will be the death by 1000 papercuts.  Nobody is going to bother passing against the Bills.  Just ram the ball down our throats and win the ToP game 2:1 and watch us run run pass punt 3 and out. 

I think the Bills made a business decision to let Jordan Phillips leave.

I think Star opting out on July 28 caught them off guard and likely disrupted their plans along the line.

Most of our defensive tackles are under 300 lbs and it shows. There's simply no beef up front.

If I were the Bills I'd be looking to make a trade for a 330+ pound run stuffer asap.

1 minute ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

why lock up a guy who doesn't play 50% of the time?

quick, package them both up and send them to the Jets for Quinnen Williams, a mid round pick, and bag of balls.  Get it done before they change the FO there

7 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The Bills DT's have been getting pushed around in the run game since the Dareus trade.    Guys like Vernon Butler and Harrison Phillips are plenty big and talented enough to fill the shoes but the problem is that this has been a coverage team for 3 years now and the front 4 isn't getting pass rush and the back 7 isn't what it has been in coverage.    Getting plowed in the run game is nothing new for a McDermott defense........but that TD pass to Kelce on 3rd and 11 is not something we are used to seeing.

It's a combination of factors but it is not that they lost two tremendous run defenders.

They miss the backfield disruption of Jordan Phillips but he and Star were both lousy against the run............Edmunds has had plenty of opportunities to flow untouched to ball carriers he just always runs himself out of plays.

But I think at this point he's not even expected to be excellent in run defense.

He's supposed to be good in coverage and there just appears to be enough tape on him now that he is being targeted there as well.     The last KC scoring drive the two biggest plays were blown coverage responsibilities by Edmunds.    Tough asks of him........but he's asked to do a lot in coverage because with his physical gifts he was supposed to be a superstar.    

• Like (+1) 1

keep in mind we basically play a 4-2-5 and the two LB positions are largely interchangeable.  this is a schematic flaw in our D at this point, because both LBs have to do so much.  if you look at historicly good tampa 2 ds or whatever the hell you call what we run, you see other worldly good MLBs, that one HOF LB in tampa, urlacher in chicago, kueckly and davis in carolina, the list goes on.

i suppose the one hope we can have for our D would be the championship run dungy had in indy, where sanders, who is a SS but basically played like an extra LB in the run game, came on late in the season and just started murking fools.  if milano and edmunds can magically go super sayin (or whatever that dragon ball thing is) and become human cruise missiles, then maybe we can stop sucking.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Back the Blue said:

I said this in another thread last night.  Watch Edmunds on Darrell Williams TD, unblocked, and takes himself out of the play by running through an OL gap that was nowhere near the ball carrier.  

And that's what I'm talking about. The mental mistakes and lack of instincts for the position. He did the same thing against TN. He always seems like he's guessing out there and guessing wrong at that. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, bouds said:

Would not be shocked if they don't pick up his 5th year option, and use the money to lock up Milano instead.

Fine, sign Milano and pray he stays healthy.  But we still will have no Mike. I can hear the opposing qb now....." no one is the mike, no one is the mike.....blue 80 hut"....

• Like (+1) 1