ROCKPILE REVIEW - Evolution

Shaw66

The D is a distinct concern. We simply aren't getting the pressure we need from our front 4, and a lot of other bad comes from that. 

It hasn't helped with injuries to guys who have been mainstays in the past, i.e. White, Milano and Edmunds, but they aren't part of the Front 4, and it could be argued that they have helped 'paper over the cracks' in the past. Being down an extra CB hasn't helped much either.

There are issues with depth at CB and LB, highlighted by injuries.

Star has been missed, and I wonder if his ability to take on double teams, has affected how much more others are able to do, in terms of getting more 1 on 1's, and actually less physical demands because of that.

Tackling has been poor again, which inevitably causes problems.

Imho, the above are all things that have shown up through our first 6 games.

Offensively, Allen has had two mediocre games, i.e. the last two.

To me, there was an element of deja vu with both of them. His first series in both games, didn't go well - but both times it wasn't his fault.

The interception, off of Roberts hands, and then the perfectly good pass, that Brown got his helmet on, before getting his hands to it. Both times, it took Allen a fair while to get over those plays. That shouldn't be the case.

The O-Line looks like it's doing a decent job in pass pro, except it isn't that good. Allen is doing a great job, both moving around in the pocket, and moving away from it, as needs dictate. My instinct would be that there are defenders coming at him, a bit too soon for comfort, especially in the last 3 games.

My hope, is that Spain is back, and soon. Also that Feliciano is going to be back sooner, rather than later. Generally I've been impressed with Williams, so with those two back, and the upgrade he represents at RT, we might get better play from the O-Line, particularly in the run game. Because we, and Allen, need it.

I'm pretty underwhelmed by Moss so far, and imho, we would be better served with Yeldon on the field. I've made this point elsewhere, but in the previous game, does anyone truly believe that Moss would have been in a position to make the TD catch Yeldon had?

Moss may have been injured, but he looks like he's running through quicksand, and not very successfully.

Talking of guys we might get back, I'd also like to see Sweeney return. Lowly pick he may have been, but I'd trust him more that Knox, or even Kroft, to catch the football. TE is a position we desperately need more from.

Criticism after a loss(es) is inevitable. Like the previous one, poor execution has a large part to play in how things went. While the gameplan against KC may have been to limit Mahomes, and worked okay up to a point, I'm pretty certain that letting them run all over us to the extent they did, wasn't. See my earlier comment about tackling.

The coaches have been trying to change things up, as evidenced by Murphy and Harry being benched. There is still the opportunity to find the right blend to turn things around.

Getting players back healthy will help.

I dislike how timid we seem to be on D. There needs to be a lot more intensity.

We are still 4 - 2, and have plenty more left to play for. While the first 4 games were thrilling, and wins, it should have been obvious we weren't a finished article. It isn't just about how you start the season, but also about how you finish it. Let's hope for the necessary improvement, starting by ripping the Jest a new one. ;)

• Thank you (+1) 2

42 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I'm not sure if it's Sean being stubborn or if it's just that we literally have no one else to replace him. You want AJ Klein at MLB?

I guess I'm venting more for next year than now. Obviously we have only 2 viable LB'S on this team with zero depth. We can't even go 4-3 anymore with no mlb on this team. Klein should be on the couch right now. Terrible signing by Brandon. So what do we know. Our front 4 is terrible and 2 banged up undersized LB's are sent in to hold the line. Recipe for disaster. Throw in zone cover 2 and teams will run the ball down our throats. We have to trade now for a mlb but I guarantee you they won't and march on with this ineffective nickel.

1 hour ago, Figster said:

The Buffalo Bills have plenty of talent IMO.

Not upper end talent. 

Nope.

Not one person on our defensive line is great. Hughes is 30+, Murphy is 30+, Addison is 30+, Phillips and Jefferson are guys. Oliver is small and shoved around. Epenesa, at best, looks like he needs a year straight in the weight room. 

At linebacker we have Edmunds, athletic, but no instincts, and really when does he make standout plays? Milano has had serious injuries now piling up. 

At Corner, we have Tre White who up until this year has been awesome, Levi Wallace who fans cling to PFF ratings from 2 years ago, and then scrubs. Josh Norman is done. He shouldn't be on a football field. 

Safety is quietly getting older. 

We have no Tight End. 

We see with Brown gimpy that this WR group gets a heck of a lot thinner in a hurry. 

Our line is pedestrian. Cody Ford looks like a bust. You wouldn't extend him if you were presented with the choice now. 

Singletary can make moves, but ultimately his speed and size limit his upside. Moss is too slow. 

Which brings us to Allen. 2018 he played below Scouting Reports with terrible weapons. 2019 he played at his Scouting Reports. And it doesn't look like All-Pro Josh in the first 4 weeks is sustainable. 

Bottom line is, Beane needs to keep doing whatever he can while Josh is on a rookie deal to bring in more talent, because we are outclassed. The Bills are a better version of the Browns, and I don't think its by much. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Not upper end talent. 

Nope.

Not one person on our defensive line is great. Hughes is 30+, Murphy is 30+, Addison is 30+, Phillips and Jefferson are guys. Oliver is small and shoved around. Epenesa, at best, looks like he needs a year straight in the weight room. 

At linebacker we have Edmunds, athletic, but no instincts, and really when does he make standout plays? Milano has had serious injuries now piling up. 

At Corner, we have Tre White who up until this year has been awesome, Levi Wallace who fans cling to PFF ratings from 2 years ago, and then scrubs. Josh Norman is done. He shouldn't be on a football field. 

We have no Tight End. 

We see with Brown gimpy that this WR group gets a heck of a lot thinner in a hurry. 

Our line is pedestrian. Cody Ford looks like a bust. You wouldn't extend him if you were presented with the choice now. 

Singletary can make moves, but ultimately his speed and size limit his upside. Moss is too slow. 

Which brings us to Allen. 2018 he played below Scouting Reports with terrible weapons. 2019 he played at his Scouting Reports. And it doesn't look like All-Pro Josh in the first 4 weeks is sustainable. 

Bottom line is, Beane needs to keep doing whatever he can while Josh is on a rookie deal to bring in more talent, because we are outclassed. The Bills are a better version of the Browns, and I don't think its by much. 

Now its upper end talent as in elite. O.K. Something many teams don't have more then one or to of IMO. I feel like Tre White is real close. Allen is elite IMO. Diggs, same thing, borderline or elite. Gabe Davis is coming on real strong for a rookie. They may not be elite, but Smoke and Cole Beasley are really good. Edmunds is really good and still very young at his position. Matt Malino is really good.

Sure, we could use more elite talent, who doesn't? ( Besides KC)  When you try to build and find it through the draft it takes time. To get an elite WR Buffalo had to give up a pick in the round elite players are drafted. Allen is elite and drafted in the 1st. How many elite players is the Beane regime supposed to have in such a short time?  

Edited by Figster

13 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

The Bills lost to the Chiefs on a raw, rainy Monday night in Orchard Park, 26-17.  The Bills are now 4-2, a game ahead of the Dolphins in the AFC East, and they look like they’re headed to the middle of the NFL pack.

We tend to want to make definitive statements about teams – “they’re good,” “they’re bad,” “they’re building” – but the most that can be said today about the Bills is that they are evolving.  It’s survival of the fittest in the NFL, and if the Chiefs game is any indication, the Bills need to adapt.   

What happened in the NFL in the early part of the 2020 NFL season is now clear:  Several teams, including the Bills, were able to throw the ball all over the field, any time they wanted, wherever they wanted.  It was exciting, but we should have realized it wasn’t going to last.  Teams adjusted.  The adjustment was to play coverage; keep one or two safeties back, flood the defensive backfield with defenders.  Defenses said “you will NOT beat us with that passing game.  You may beat us some other way, but not throwing the ball like that.”  The Raiders did it to the Chiefs last week, the Titans did it to the Bills, everyone’s doing it to the Cowboys. 

The Bills did it to the Chiefs, and the Chiefs did it to the Bills.  Each said to other, “Find a different way to win.”  If you can’t win throwing, all that’s left is running.  Running means controlling the line of scrimmage.  The Chiefs totally controlled the line of scrimmage against the Bills.  The Chiefs found a way to win.  The Bills need to adapt.

There’s not much to say about the game that wasn’t obvious to anyone who saw it, but I’ll give you my take aways.

1. The front four was dominated by the Chiefs all night.  The game film could be used as a training film for offensive linemen.  It truly was a clinic.  It wasn’t simply that the Chiefs over-powered the Bills; they out-finessed the Bills.  They knew exactly how the Bills defense attacked the run, and they took advantage of the Bills strategy.  Chiefs linemen consistently took the correct angles to create running lanes, and there was nothing the Bills could do about it.   Every upcoming opponent will see it on film.   The Bills have to adapt, quickly, or they will get run over.

2.  Edmunds made some poor decisions in the middle, often getting caught in the wash, choosing bad angles, but it’s tough to blame much on him.  He led the team in tackles, primarily because it would have been hard not to – running backs were coming at him all night.

3.  Singletary and Moss would have gone for over 200 yards running behind the Chiefs’ offensive line; unfortunately, they had to run behind the Bills line.  It was tough yardage all night.  It’s easy to tell when the Bills running game isn’t working – they resort to running Josh Allen.  When Allen gets designed runs, it means Brian Daboll has run out of answers.   Allen led the team in rushing, not because he had a couple of 30-yard scrambles, but because he took the pounding that running backs ordinarily are asked to take.  That’s not a formula for success.

4.  Despite the numbers, Allen wasn’t bad passing.  Yes, he missed badly on a couple of throws early in the game.  (Troy Aikman was classic.  He blamed the early misses on the reeemergence of Allen inaccuracy, but as soon as Mahomes, the golden boy, missed badly, it was because of the weather.)  After the early misses, Allen had bad drops by Brown and Kroft, and then he got going.  He threw two spectacular deep balls to Diggs, one that almost drew a penalty and one that did.  His touchdown pass to Diggs was a pinpoint throw after a good scramble out of the pocket.  In fact, Allen worked well in the pocket all night, avoiding the rush and finding the right targets  His inteception was a desperation throw with the clock running out.  The Bills still have their franchise quarterback.

5.  The Bills didn’t play with the poise that Sean McDermott expects of his team.  The successive unnecessary roughness penalties from White and Poyer were surprising, two veterans trying to fire up their team with physical play, two veterans out of control.  Diggs taking a penalty after dawdling back to the line of scrimmage late in the game was ominous; the first sign this season of the Diggs who frustrated the Vikings.

6.  And yet, with all that went wrong, with all that was so disappointing, the Bills were in this football game from start to finish.  They were the lovable losers of the Dick Jauron era. The Bills scored first. The Bills escaped the first half down only three (and would have been tied, but for Bass’s bad misfire on the last play).  They held the Chiefs to a field goal in the second half when a TD would have ended the game.  They answered immediately with a six-play 75-yard drive to get back within 6.  That was not a garbage-time score; that was the time of the game when Andy Reid asked his team to win the game with a stop; instead, the Bills blew away the Chiefs for the score.  Then the Bills forced a fumble, and for thirty seconds, until we saw the replay, it seemed like the Bills would steal the win, despite the Chiefs’ dominance.  The fumble was overturned, the Chiefs marched downfield one more time and kicked the field goal to end it. 

The Bills must adapt.  On the fly. 

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

not to criticize - but - I can read the same thing in the Buffalo News (out of town for you) and on ESPN News.  Get us something spectacularly different.

29 minutes ago, LB48 said:

not to criticize - but - I can read the same thing in the Buffalo News (out of town for you) and on ESPN News.  Get us something spectacularly different.

Difference is LB48 Shaw doesn't get payed to share his observations and point of view.

From the Bills side of it what are we going to say about the KC game that was spectacularly different? The clinic Andy Reid showed us running the football down our throat? No

The Titans did it last week...

Edited by Figster

6 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Not upper end talent. 

Nope.

We have no Tight End. 

We’re only better because Allen is better than baker.  Allen would be amazing in that Cleveland scheme and they could be the best offense in football.  Baker is getting worse.

I think Cleveland has a better collection of talent atm.  OL, TE, RB, DL.  Wr and corner are close to a push, we win safety (even though Hyde is invisible) and QB.  We should win LB based on talent, but considering Milano is only there 1/2 the time and Edmunds is just getting worse I’d give that a push too.

If we had baker and the browns had Allen, we’d suck and the browns would likely be elite 

34 minutes ago, LB48 said:

that’s a real ******** thing to say.  He made a thread on a message board.  If you don’t like it, don’t read it. Get over yourself.

Are you salty because you made a thread that read more like a drunken twitter rant...,and it got closed?   Shaw >>>>>> you

Edited by NewEra
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I try to respond to people who post about the Rockpile Review, but I was away from the computer all day yesterday and didn't get a good chance to read what everyone has said.   I still haven't read all the posts, but I intend.   

In general, I don't think the sky is falling.  It could be, but I doubt it.  

I saw a couple of comments about elite talent.  I agree with whoever said the Bills have done fine in the elite talent talent, getting White, Allen, Edmunds, Oliver, and Diggs with first round picks since McBeane arrived.  Poyer, Hyde, Norman, Brown, Beasley are all just a notch below.  Milano, of course.  

More troubling to me, also picking up on something someone said, is that what's winning this season is tough, hard-nosed hitting, and the Bills look much more like a finesse team.  San Francisco and Tennessee and the Chiefs (at least the Bills) are pushing people around.  The 40ers receivers catch the ball and actually seem to be looking for people to hit.  At its core, football is about hitting, and if you can't stand your ground and give as good as you get, you're going to blown off the field.  

Back to personnel, where Beane's work seems to have been less than stellar is on the lines.  I think we all now can see what Star does for the defensive line.  He was the only true one-technique guy they had.  Phillips is a tweener and may not be able to contribute either at the one or the three.  Without Star and another tough guy in the middle, the offenses are free to attack anyplace along the line, and I think that's when teams begin to be able to out-scheme the Bills.  

It's a long season.  Yesterday I was recalling how in the Kelly years, the Bills often would have difficult games, including losses.  It's a tough league and it's very unusual to be consistently dominant.  The objective is to be good in November and December and to make the playoffs, and the Bills are still well-positioned to do that.  Good teams win some games against good opponents (Rams, Raiders), lose some (Chiefs, Titans), and win the games they should win (Jets, Dolphins).  A win against the Jets is critical.  Getting to 5-2 as October ends positions the Bills nicely for the second half of the season.  On top of that, as I noted last week, McDermott's teams always seem to need a reset at midseason, and we seem to be at that point again.

Finally, I've said all along that 2021 was the target season, and I still think that's the case.  Allen will be a mature NFL starter, and the Bills will once again have added some talent at some positions (ideally along the lines).  

The sky isn't falling. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I try to respond to people who post about the Rockpile Review, but I was away from the computer all day yesterday and didn't get a good chance to read what everyone has said.   I still haven't read all the posts, but I intend.   

In general, I don't think the sky is falling.  It could be, but I doubt it.  

I saw a couple of comments about elite talent.  I agree with whoever said the Bills have done fine in the elite talent talent, getting White, Allen, Edmunds, Oliver, and Diggs with first round picks since McBeane arrived.  Poyer, Hyde, Norman, Brown, Beasley are all just a notch below.  Milano, of course.  

More troubling to me, also picking up on something someone said, is that what's winning this season is tough, hard-nosed hitting, and the Bills look much more like a finesse team.  San Francisco and Tennessee and the Chiefs (at least the Bills) are pushing people around.  The 40ers receivers catch the ball and actually seem to be looking for people to hit.  At its core, football is about hitting, and if you can't stand your ground and give as good as you get, you're going to blown off the field.  

Back to personnel, where Beane's work seems to have been less than stellar is on the lines.  I think we all now can see what Star does for the defensive line.  He was the only true one-technique guy they had.  Phillips is a tweener and may not be able to contribute either at the one or the three.  Without Star and another tough guy in the middle, the offenses are free to attack anyplace along the line, and I think that's when teams begin to be able to out-scheme the Bills.  

It's a long season.  Yesterday I was recalling how in the Kelly years, the Bills often would have difficult games, including losses.  It's a tough league and it's very unusual to be consistently dominant.  The objective is to be good in November and December and to make the playoffs, and the Bills are still well-positioned to do that.  Good teams win some games against good opponents (Rams, Raiders), lose some (Chiefs, Titans), and win the games they should win (Jets, Dolphins).  A win against the Jets is critical.  Getting to 5-2 as October ends positions the Bills nicely for the second half of the season.  On top of that, as I noted last week, McDermott's teams always seem to need a reset at midseason, and we seem to be at that point again.

Finally, I've said all along that 2021 was the target season, and I still think that's the case.  Allen will be a mature NFL starter, and the Bills will once again have added some talent at some positions (ideally along the lines).  

The sky isn't falling. 

Thanks for the overall thread reply.

I also don't feel like the sky is falling. I feel like Buffalo has just measured itself up with two of the best teams in the NFL. We didn't measure up as well as most of us would have hoped. On the other hand I never had the feeling winning the games were that much out of reach IMO. Both games presented problems by way of preparation and distractions. A healthy Matt Milano is Buffalo's MVP on D in my humble opinion. I think its very possible one or both games have different outcomes with the high motoring Milano giving it everything he has on every play. I think he lifts the team and sets a good example for his teamates that is sorely missed without him IMO.

So while I may agree with you on the year of 2021 being the year of the mighty Buffalo.  I still think we have allot of time to improve in the process before this season is over IMO.

Edited by Figster

8 minutes ago, Figster said:

Thanks for the overall thread reply.

I also don't feel like the sky is falling. I feel like Buffalo has just measured itself up with two of the best teams in the NFL. We didn't measure up as well as most of us would have hoped. On the other hand I never had the feeling winning the games were that much out of reach IMO. Both games presented problems by way of preparation and distractions. A healthy Matt Milano is Buffalo's MVP on D in my humble opinion. I think its very possible one or both games have different outcomes with the high motoring Milano spilling his guts onto the field with every play. I think he lifts the team and sets a good example for his teamates that is sorely missed without him  IMO.

So while I may agree with you on the year of 2021 being the year of the mighty Buffalo.  I still think we have allot of time to improve in the process before this season is over IMO.

Yes, I agree with all of this.  Including the balance of this season.  As I said, beating the Jets is important, then they're 5-2 and should be headed for 10-11 wins.  If the team develops over the next couple months, and McDermott's teams generally do, they should be better than last season, despite the current issues.  

Bottom line is that it's way to early to fret over.  Three quarters of the league would like to be where the Bills are today. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Yes, I agree with all of this.  Including the balance of this season.  As I said, beating the Jets is important, then they're 5-2 and should be headed for 10-11 wins.  If the team develops over the next couple months, and McDermott's teams generally do, they should be better than last season, despite the current issues.  

Bottom line is that it's way to early to fret over.  Three quarters of the league would like to be where the Bills are today. 

I agree on McDermotts ability to get the most out of his players. I think the players love them some McD and love playing for him IMO. Myself personally, I would like to see McD have more involvement with the D.  

The addition of Diggs and Allen taking the next step puts us light years ahead of last season on O IMO. If Daboll can get the run game going which I feel confident that he can the Buffalo Bills will be very hard to stop IMO. 

Edited by Figster

On 10/20/2020 at 4:56 PM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Not upper end talent. 

Nope.

We have no Tight End. 

Great review of the situation - agree in all areas!

15 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

Great review of the situation - agree in all areas!

What good is talent without structure, good scheming and coaching.

What good is talent when your a me guy that does not put yhe betterment of the team 1st.

What good is talent without the brains to go with it.

Funny think about talent is its normally synonymous with accomplishent from a team perspective. Win a Championship and the team becomes more talented across the board. Browns were used by way of example earlier which on paper have a boatload of talent. No accomplishments.

The Buffalo Bills have assembled a group of men that are smart, talented, team oriented, and well coached. 

The essentiial ingredients of a Championship caliber football team IMO.

4 hours ago, Figster said:

What good is talent without structure, good scheming and coaching.

What good is talent when your a me guy that does not put yhe betterment of the team 1st.

What good is talent without the brains to go with it.

Funny think about talent is its normally synonymous with accomplishent from a team perspective. Win a Championship and the team becomes more talented across the board. Browns were used by way of example earlier which on paper have a boatload of talent. No accomplishments.

The Buffalo Bills have assembled a group of men that are smart, talented, team oriented, and well coached. 

The essentiial ingredients of a Championship caliber football team IMO.

Figgy, I'm a true believer in this point of view.   However, if you're inclined to worry if the Bills are pursing the right formula, you have to at least ask if they have right kind of physical talent.   Do they need a more physically aggressive middle linebacker?  Do they need more speed at running back?   Do they need a couple of nastier defensive linemen?  Stouter?   You can have the right mental makeup for the team, but still be beaten physically on the field.  

I think it's too early to have that discussion.  I want to see how the team develops over the next 4-6 weeks.  

I always come back to Belchick.   If you look at his lines, he didn't have big maulers (except for a Wilfork or an occasional other stud).  He had medium sized guys, guys you might even have thought were under-sized, but they fought every play, and they executed the defense as called.   I think McDermott's model is similar - great, motivated athletes who aren't necessarily individual stars but are just really good at their jobs.   

Certainly, when you look at the players on the Dline, the kind of players McDermott wanted, that's the kind of guy you find there.  Oliver is the one shot they have at being a real stud.  The others are all supposed to be excellent role players.  They aren't right now, and that's on McDermott and Frazier - they have the kind of guys they want, and they're supposed to be able to make that kind of talent win.   That's not to say that McDermott and Frazier are failing.   They expect to build their defense throughout the season, to be playing their best defense a month from now.  It may have looked bad for a few weeks, but the question is what will it look like in a month.  They understand that it's a yearly challenge to put players like the Bills have into a championship caliber unit. We will see if McDermott and Frazier can make their system succeed.  

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 1

Shaw you write great reviews, but the continual defense of McD get's old.

Yep the Bills lost two games and it was bound to happen, but the issue is always I don't see growth from the coach.

Just when one get's excited we get a gut punch, which these last two weeks were.

The game was somewhat close, but McD didn't do anything to help the team and we see this week after week.

What exactly enamours you so much about McD?  Please say it isn't the Porcess, discipline and getting the most out the talent.....  All are cliches.....

1 minute ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Shaw you write great reviews, but the continual defense of McD get's old.

Yep the Bills lost two games and it was bound to happen, but the issue is always I don't see growth from the coach.

Just when one get's excited we get a gut punch, which these last two weeks were.

The game was somewhat close, but McD didn't do anything to help the team and we see this week after week.

What exactly enamours you so much about McD?  Please say it isn't the Porcess, discipline and getting the most out the talent.....  All are cliches.....

It's funny to me that people think I defend the coach, whoever he is.   I don't think I do that.   Whoever the coach, he IS the coach, and what I try to talk about is why he's doing what he's doing.  Whether it's the right approach, time will tell.  In the meantime, I'm just trying to figure out what he's trying.  

And it IS the process.  He has a management system and a philosophy, and his strategy is to get a team full of highly motivated, committed athletes to play together.  The philosophy is that he can out play everyone by having the most efficient team.  

I keep mentioning Belichick because that is his philosophy.   Good athletes, learning every  week, getting more effective.  

The biggest potential flaw in McDermott's process is that it requires brilliant coaching.   It requires great Xs and Os analysis and creative game planning.  It is based on always being so well prepared mentally that one-on-one physical mismatches don't wreck your game; somehow, you manage them.  So the question always has been whether McDermott has the intelligence and creativity to lead such an operation.  At the end of the day, Belichick is Belichick because of his exceptional command of the Xs and Os.   My view on McDermott is that he's still young, that it takes time for that total creativity to blossom.   McDermott's in a process, too.  

I think it's a very interesting coaching style to observe.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

It's funny to me that people think I defend the coach, whoever he is.   I don't think I do that.   Whoever the coach, he IS the coach, and what I try to talk about is why he's doing what he's doing.  Whether it's the right approach, time will tell.  In the meantime, I'm just trying to figure out what he's trying.  

And it IS the process.  He has a management system and a philosophy, and his strategy is to get a team full of highly motivated, committed athletes to play together.  The philosophy is that he can out play everyone by having the most efficient team.  

I keep mentioning Belichick because that is his philosophy.   Good athletes, learning every  week, getting more effective.  

The biggest potential flaw in McDermott's process is that it requires brilliant coaching.   It requires great Xs and Os analysis and creative game planning.  It is based on always being so well prepared mentally that one-on-one physical mismatches don't wreck your game; somehow, you manage them.  So the question always has been whether McDermott has the intelligence and creativity to lead such an operation.  At the end of the day, Belichick is Belichick because of his exceptional command of the Xs and Os.   My view on McDermott is that he's still young, that it takes time for that total creativity to blossom.   McDermott's in a process, too.  

I think it's a very interesting coaching style to observe.  

Good stuff as always.  It is not time to panic, we do not  all of a sudden we have bad coaching or whatever.  The issue right now is that football at its essence is about physical performance and beating the guy in front of you.  The past two games our lines have lost way too many battles.  You can’t tell me that it’s because the Titans and Chiefs have inherently stronger, more physically talented players.  It is about intensity and desire.  Our guys up front have to amp up both.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Good stuff as always.  It is not time to panic, we do not  all of a sudden we have bad coaching or whatever.  The issue right now is that football at its essence is about physical performance and beating the guy in front of you.  The past two games our lines have lost way too many battles.  You can’t tell me that it’s because the Titans and Chiefs have inherently stronger, more physically talented players.  It is about intensity and desire.  Our guys up front have to amp up both.

It's also about scheme and coaching.  The Chiefs offensive line knew how to attack gaps - it wasn't strictly overpowering the guy across the line.  

Part of the process, over the course of the season, is to learn how to play several different styles.  They learn to do that by playing against different styles and adapting.   If teams run on the Bills for the next two months the way the Chiefs ran on them, then the coaches will have failed.   I think we'll see run-stopping improve.