Aikman vs Allen

FlaFitz1

4 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Bradshaw made it even better at halftime when he said he's a career 56% guy and thats all he'll ever be. Solid take there.

Bradshaw single-handedly taught all of the Trent Dilfers of the world how to ride great defensive coattails to SB glory...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Bradshaw made it even better at halftime when he said he's a career 56% guy and thats all he'll ever be. Solid take there.

He said it with such confidence too. As if everybody should ignore Allen's current stats and the first four weeks of the season. Allen will never be good, take it from me Terry Bradshaw. Seemed obvious to me that Terry and his dumb 19th century oil magnate hats probably haven't paid much attention to Allen since his scouting report.

7 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Different era. Aikman was regarded by pretty much everyone who followed the sport as the most accurate thrower in the league during his prime.

There was a guy down here in Cincinnati named Kenny Anderson who was more accurate then Aikman. 

Aikman and Buck were unprofessional last night. 

The point where Aikmans bias came into play was when Diggs dropped the perfectly placed deep ball by Allen in the back of the end zone.  He sort of threw out how Diggs usually routinely makes that type of catch but no comment on Allen's accuracy there.  Given that last season Allen would not have been able to place a long pass on Diggs hands at the back of an end zone it would have been a good time for Aikman to have noted that.  That throw was an example of how much Allen has improved.

In fact when the Fox graphics crew threw up that stunning chart looking at Allen's first 16 games passing stats and his last 16 game state line it disproved EVERYTHING Aikman had said.  It was clear from the data in that chart that Allen was overcoming any accuracy issues he may have had at Wyoming.

I'll take Tony Romo any day over Aikman as an NFL color analyst.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TwistofFate said:

Yeah, this isn't even a legit comparison IMO.  In Aikman's day Qbs got murdered, wrs got murdered, and there wasn't a flag on the field. 

Today's NFL is completely soft compared to back then.  It's not even comparable. 

Aikmen improved his completion percentage 17% from his first season to his fifth season. I guess when qb's could get murdered it was possible to significantly improve accuracy, but as rules protecting qb's came into the game, human nature changed and so it was no longer possible to improve. 

Edited by Motorin'

Aikman also said something to the effect of accuracy is generally something you can't teach and Allen's progress in that department has been remarkable. But we'll leave that out because it flies in the face of the whiney "everyone disrespects us" narrative this board wants to push

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

There was a guy down here in Cincinnati named Kenny Anderson who was more accurate then Aikman. 

Yes, a great player and certainly the most accurate passer by far of his era (1970s-early 1980s). I well remember the Bills' loss to Cincy in the playoffs in '81. The thing about Aikman, though, is that he played nearly a full season in his postseason carrer (15 games) and the Cowboys went 11-4 in those games with 3 SB victories. His postseason completion percentage was 64 percent, which was extremely high for the 90s, and he averaged 7.7 ypa. He of course won a SB MVP too. Those numbers have to be factored into any evaluation of him. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Allen had 2 40 yard dimes he dropped on Brown and Diggs in the endzone.  Those would have been good, but not amazing catches.  Those two are brought in and it's a completely different conversation today.  

That's what I've been saying. Two long bombs right on the money, one deflected by the DB in a great play, the other right through Diggs' arms. In neither case did Aikman have much to say beyond praising Allen's arm strength. What about his accuracy?! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Both catches would have been amazing because the coverage was there. Neither receiver was actually open and both passes were defended by Chiefs DBs. The Brown pass was actually broken up.

Nope. Diggs dropped the pass. Look at the pics below. It should've been a TD and the bills would've been up 10-7 in the 2nd qtr. The one to Brown was well defended by the DB.

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

d3.jpg

11 minutes ago, finn said:

That's what I've been saying. Two long bombs right on the money, one deflected by the DB in a great play, the other right through Diggs' arms. In neither case did Aikman have much to say beyond praising Allen's arm strength. What about his accuracy?! 

Are you talking about this one? Yep it was on Diggs all the way.

d1.jpg

d2.jpg

d3.jpg

The stuff some of you complain about it.  So now a HOF (and he is overrated but to compare stats from now to then is absolutely idiotic) qb can’t criticize a qb who passed for 122 yards??? It’s definitely not all on Allen and he has improved so, so much.  But he kinda sucked last night in a big time matchup. He deserved to be criticized.

now hopefully, next time Aikman sees him, he plays like the Allen of the first 4 weeks and Aikman will praise him.  It’s pretty simple.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Allen had 2 40 yard dimes he dropped on Brown and Diggs in the endzone.  Those would have been good, but not amazing catches.  Those two are brought in and it's a completely different conversation today.  

This.  The diggs one got tipped but both were damn good throws given the rain and pressure.   Just wasn't our day. 

13 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Did you watch the games? He'd pass them down the field and then they'd punch it in. They were at the top in scoring nearly every year in his prime. Also, as I said above, they were 1, 2, or 3 in net yards per attempt -- the most important passing stat, in my view -- during their dominant SB years (1992-1995). 

Look at the Cowboys scoring and the YPA average. I feel like people are cherry picking stats and missing the big picture. His accuracy on deeper throws opened everything up. 

I’m old enough to remember Aikman barely getting touched 1992-1995. Age 26-29 were good on Aikman and built his legacy. Put him on a mediocre team and no one remembers him. An average QB.

8 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

I’m old enough to remember Aikman barely getting touched 1992-1995. Age 26-29 were good on Aikman and built his legacy. Put him on a mediocre team and no one remembers him. An average QB.

But he wasn’t and he won 3 SBs. Put Jim Kelly on the Jets or Pats during the 90s, he isn’t the same player either. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/21/2020 at 5:42 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

But he wasn’t and he won 3 SBs. Put Jim Kelly on the Jets or Pats during the 90s, he isn’t the same player either. 

So we agree. Aikman played to the level of his supporting cast. A player who could never exceed in results the talent around him.