The Fans in the stands, or lack thereof. Stats

zow2

It would not have made a difference last night, not when the Chiefs ran at will like that.

But interesting to note that teams with fans in the stands are 22-11 while teams with no fans are 25-30-1.  That's a .666 winning % with fans vs .454 % without fans.   I dunno, but that seems like a competitive advantage.  

It could be simply that the better teams are playing with some fans... or some other factors.  It felt like it made a difference at Tennessee.  Just throwing it out there.

• Like (+1) 4

It seems ridiculous to allow fans at some games and not at others.  Is there any other league in the world right now that is handling the fan situation the same way?  I can't think of one.  And it seems obvious to me that at least to some extent, home teams gain some advantage by having even a minimal number of fans.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Is what is is, no point in discussing it as all its going to lead to is politics.

It is correct, but it is impolite to discuss because some people might get upset?

I guess that makes sense, why speak about unfair things if it may make people unhappy?

On 10/20/2020 at 8:13 AM, buffalonian said:

It seems ridiculous to allow fans at some games and not at others.  Is there any other league in the world right now that is handling the fan situation the same way?  I can't think of one.  And it seems obvious to me that at least to some extent, home teams gain some advantage by having even a minimal number of fans.  

There's a very simple reason.  All NFL teams are subject to the rules and regulations of their local or state governments.  So if you were going to make a league-wide standard, the NFL would have to default to the lowest common denominator, that being 0 fans, as that's the mandate of the California and NY State governments, i.e., no spectators at sporting events.  Therefore, the NFL owners would be deferring all decisions on attendance to the governors of those states. 

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
politics
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

It would not have made a difference last night, not when the Chiefs ran at will like that.

But interesting to note that teams with fans in the stands are 22-11 while teams with no fans are 25-30-1.  That's a .666 winning % with fans vs .454 % without fans.   I dunno, but that seems like a competitive advantage.  

It could be simply that the better teams are playing with some fans... or some other factors.  It felt like it made a difference at Tennessee.  Just throwing it out there.

I think there is absolutely some “there” there. 

On 10/20/2020 at 9:06 AM, ohboychoboy said:

There's a very simple reason.  All NFL teams are subject to the rules and regulations of their local or state governments.  So if you were going to make a league-wide standard, the NFL would have to default to the lowest common denominator, that being 0 fans, as that's the mandate of the California and NY State governments, i.e., no spectators at sporting events.  Therefore, the NFL owners would be deferring all decisions on attendance to the governors of those states. 

The decision doesn’t have to involve the Governor of any state. The NBA, MLB, NHL, Premier League, etc all decided to have a blanket rule of no fans at any games. They made this decision because they believed it to be the safest and fairest policy.  The NFL is more concerned about the extra revenue from having some fans at some games. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, buffalonian said:

The decision doesn’t have to involve the Governor of any state. The NBA, MLB, NHL, Premier League, etc all decided to have a blanket rule of no fans at any games. They made this decision because they believed it to be the safest and fairest policy.  The NFL is more concerned about the extra revenue from having some fans at some games. 

Why should fans in Florida or Tennessee or KC who want to attend their teams’ games be punished for decisions made by the governors of California or NY?

• Like (+1) 8

On 10/20/2020 at 8:48 AM, zow2 said:

I'd like to see all the matchups and evaluate them one by one to see if there might be other factors at play.

For example, what is the breakdown of record among those teams?  Point differential?  

How did turnovers factor into the games in question?

If you analyzed it long enough and concluded there really likely was some benefit to the home crowd, I would find it interesting.

By the way: these 2 groups (.666% vs .454%)...are they comprised solely of home teams?

Obviously away teams aren't going to have fans in the stands. I assume they are only looking at home teams and then comparing those with fans to those without.

On 10/20/2020 at 8:48 AM, zow2 said:

Some stats have meaning and stats are useless.  

I think you know which I think this one is.  

17 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

This thread has PPP potential. 

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29nkgg21begwcvzal5ld

Poorly Prepared Plan?  

• Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, mannc said:

Why should fans in Florida or Tennessee or KC who want to attend their teams’ games be punished for decisions made by the governors of California or NY?

A fair league decision to provide a uniform competitive environment across the league.  As noted NBA, MLB, NHL, Premier League, etc all decided to have a blanket rule of no fans at any games.  It was fairest.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Tony Dungy was on radio this morning.  He said he's been to a few college games...and the one's with fans, even with limited capacity have a surprising amount of energy.  He thinks it makes a difference.  But i don't know about NFL and how that translates.

34 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Moving on.  No more political stuff please.  Such a waste of breath.

It’s not a political topic.  The question is really about whether the Bills are at disadvantage because the league does not have a uniform policy on fan attendance like other professional sports leagues.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

A fair league decision to provide a uniform competitive environment across the league.  As noted NBA, MLB, NHL, Premier League, etc all decided to have a blanket rule of no fans at any games.  It was fairest.

I think this is an important topic and I would like to engage further, but I am afraid whatever I say here is going to provoke the mods’ wrath...

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, mannc said:

I think this is an important topic and I would like to engage further, but I am afraid whatever I say here is going to provoke the mods’ wrath...

Why would it? There’s nothing more to say about it except yes, the OP is right there is an advantage and no, the league will not address it because it’s no longer in their control because they passed the buck before the season started. The league is the bad guy here as Hap said. No need to wallow around in political dirt this time around.