RB with speed

BananaB

2 minutes ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

I get the frustration but I really don't think it's because of our backs, although like others here I really would like to see Yeldon active more often and I do not understand why he isn't.  To me it's blocking and maybe more than anything else it is play calling.

What is troublesome is the staff says “everything is earned here” but Ford starts not Spain. Yeldon often a healthy scratch.  Annoying.

15 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I’m at the edge of my X’s and O’s here, I’m just a casual fan with no experience coaching or playing, but it seems to me the issue is in the blocking techniques - Daboll prefers misdirection and disguise and I suspect he has the linemen start out running plays with a pass blocking technique so as not to clue the defense that it’s a running play.  I could be wrong about this but the linemen look reactive and upright on a lot of our running plays, almost as if they’re pass blocking.  Would make sense to have running and passing plays look the same for as long as possible to confuse the defense but that seems to me to be the source of the problem.  If that makes sense.

Also Zack Moss is terrible.

Whatever they're doing, the Oline is getting zero push.  I'm also just a casual fan with no playing or coaching experience but with brain like a f@#$ing rocket scientist and penis like burmese python but I don't see open running lanes or holes on TV.  I see defenders in our backfield and log jams at the line of scrimmage even though the Chiefs and Titans were running light boxes.  If Singletary manages to get past the LOS clean I see LBs and defensive backs flying downhill to meet him.  

Meanwhile, Clyde Edwards Helaire is running through massive holes, his O lineman are driving our defensive line 2 and 3 yards downfield, and our DBs aren't even in the camera field of view yet. 

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

By way of FYI, other "slow" 4.6/ 40 yd current starting NFL RBs:    

David Montgomery

Josh Jacobs

James Robinson

Which argues that a reasonable part of an RBs production can't be parsed as 40 yd time alone. O' Line, O' Scheme, playcalling etc must play a significant part. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, promtbr88 said:

By way of FYI, other "slow" 4.6/ 40 yd current starting NFL RBs:    

David Montgomery

Josh Jacobs

James Robinson

Which argues that a reasonable part of an RBs production can't be parsed as 40 yd time alone. O' Line, O' Scheme, playcalling etc must play a significant part. 

Montgomery and Jacobs have about the same YPC as Motor this year (I have both on my fantasy team so I know lol) but I really think the majority of it is line talent and scheme/play calling.  You obviously need a talented back but I think a good playbook makes players seem a lot more talented that they are, and DEFINITELY vice versa.

I look at the Packers and the 49ers as great examples of great schemes and play calling.  They make it very difficult to prepare for them because they've set up their runs and passes to look nearly identical pre-snap whether its personnel, formations or motion (or all three).  Neither team has overwhelmingly great O-lines but make up for that with creative play calling.

On 10/20/2020 at 6:13 PM, BananaB said:

We need one badly. Our running game ain’t all on the RBs but it’s part of the problem. Even when we do get a solid carry they are normally bought down from the guys behind them not the guys in front. 

Singletary got great vision but he’s got no burst to take advantage of it

It is not Singletary.  Whenever he has touched the ball he has done well.  On the flip side,  Moss is very slow to hit the hole.   May be they need to let Moss play a little loose on the outside.

On 10/20/2020 at 8:43 AM, BananaB said:

We need one badly. Our running game ain’t all on the RBs but it’s part of the problem. Even when we do get a solid carry they are normally bought down from the guys behind them not the guys in front. 

Singletary got great vision but he’s got no burst to take advantage of it

That left side was blocking pretty well for Singletary but like you said. The burst wasn't there and the holes closed for him

On 10/22/2020 at 2:58 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

You're not alone. It's like because we drafted both these guys in the 3rd round we're obligated to play them even if we can see they both have little burst. TJ's lack of playing time is starting to get ridiculous. He's a better receiver than both combined and I'd argue he slightly faster than Devin/Zack. 

He’s got good size too .... seems he was branded after one egregious preseason fumble ..... I don’t get it, especially with the current arrangement being sub par 

We need to try Moss 7 yards deep once on awhile.  He's a one cut hammer back but Daboll almost always has him right next to josh lined up 4 yards behind the line.

Hard to get momentum and power when you're getting the ball at a dead stop right behind your Oline.  Thats OK for Singletary but doesn't fit Moss' style.

Moss has been too hesitant in hitting what holes are there.  Giving him a longer run up, isn't going to make a difference, imho. He hasn't got the speed of the NFL yet. I would be playing Yeldon instead of him atm, because we need more from our running game, and Yeldon has been more productive. And can catch.

It's interesting to note all the discontent.  Last year some fans were raving that Singletary was "special."  

A lot goes into a running game: scheme, blocking, play-calling, and so on.  But Singletary isn't blameless for his humble season totals: 299 yards; 3.8 ypc.  

It's pretty clear that we need a better offensive line.  But I also agree with those who say we need better RBs.

On 10/23/2020 at 8:24 AM, OrtonHearsaWho said:

I get the frustration but I really don't think it's because of our backs, although like others here I really would like to see Yeldon active more often and I do not understand why he isn't.  To me it's blocking and maybe more than anything else it is play calling.

I don't know if Daboll is bad at scheming up and calling run plays.  But he's not at the Greg Roman level.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1