RB with speed

BananaB

On 10/20/2020 at 7:54 AM, Chuck Wagon said:

We need a RB with talent.  The good news is where we are likely to end up drafting is kinda the sweet spot for a top shelf rb.  The bad news is we've used day 2 picks on RBs the last two years and are still talking about potentially drafting a RB.

Do we really?  Singletary was very good last year, and this year we actually have a NFL level passing attack.

What we need is a better offensive line, especially by the guards.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/20/2020 at 5:52 AM, End The Drought said:

Travis Etienne step right up 

I doubt he falls to the 5th.  If we draft another rb before the 5th, I’ll be furious.  We NEED DL, OL, LB, CB, TE and possibly even Hyde’s replacement after next season. 

On 10/20/2020 at 8:57 AM, colin said:

moss really blows so far this year.  not fast, not a power back.  that pick really reminds me of zay jones.  this front office is obsessed w like athletic freaks (who are projects) and guys with great all around college careers who have no special ability to be useful in the NFL (ford, zay, moss).

i'd say knox, josh, and edmunds are freaks

Woah. 

Let's chill on bashing Moss. I mean he has played 2.5 games in a Covid ridden rookie campaign? 

Let's at least give him a few more weeks to make an assessment 

On 10/20/2020 at 5:44 AM, thenorthremembers said:

I was beyond amazed they made Yeldon inactive yesterday when he averaged 7 yards a carry the game before. 

You're not alone. It's like because we drafted both these guys in the 3rd round we're obligated to play them even if we can see they both have little burst. TJ's lack of playing time is starting to get ridiculous. He's a better receiver than both combined and I'd argue he slightly faster than Devin/Zack. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Do we really?  Singletary was very good last year, and this year we actually have a NFL level passing attack.

What we need is a better offensive line, especially by the guards.

I think we do need a better back, but we also need better OL play.  A new OL coach may be needed in addition to new players.  

50 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I doubt he falls to the 5th.  If we draft another rb before the 5th, I’ll be furious.  We NEED DL, OL, LB, CB, TE and possibly even Hyde’s replacement after next season. 

whoever has scouted DL for us the past few years should NoT be allowed to have input on the next DL pick. FA and Draft have been awful

• Like (+1) 1

RB is NOT our biggest need.  

There is 0% chance IMO that the Bills go anywhere but DL in next years draft.  We need beef in the middle and speed on the edge in the worst way.  

Our run game struggles IMO have more to do with Daboll and his inability to put the offense in position for success in the run game.  Its like he is trying to trick his way into runs every time he runs the ball.  Uses all kinds of unconventional formations to run the ball or calls options non stop.  The option worked a lot better last year when Allen was truly a threat to also run.  This year, we are so pass happy and they seem to have shackled Allen a lot in terms of running, so the this option concept to run the ball with our backs has been a lot less effective.  

Daboll needs to decide to establish the run game, right now he uses it as a toy to sprinkle into the offense like he's afraid to show we may run the ball.  And I think it has a lot to do with how he calls pass plays.  Josh passes a LOT from shotgun formations, so when we switch to him under center it tends to strongly suggest a predictable run play.  

End of the day, he needs to find a way to be less predictable IMO.  The game plan the last 2 weeks was terrible as well.  Our offense, our schemes, etc didn't look anything like our first 4 weeks.  Its like they over thought their opponent and tried to scheme something new that just wasn't polished and wasn't effective.  

I would also like to see them go back to just turning Josh loose again.  He has felt shackled the last couple of weeks until crunch time.  Turn him loose again, let him be unpredictable due to his legs as well.  Keep the defense having to spy him and put pressure on them.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/20/2020 at 8:57 AM, colin said:

moss really blows so far this year.  not fast, not a power back.  that pick really reminds me of zay jones.  this front office is obsessed w like athletic freaks (who are projects) and guys with great all around college careers who have no special ability to be useful in the NFL (ford, zay, moss).

i'd say knox, josh, and edmunds are freaks

Ford is way more of an athletic freak than had a great college career. He was a 1 year starter

Diggs and Smoke can take the top off a defense, so a speed RB isn't really necessary. You need a dude who can eat 5-10 against 6-7 man front, and we probably have that with Singletary. The fact that he isn't, likely isn't his fault. 

On 10/20/2020 at 8:43 AM, BananaB said:

We need one badly. Our running game ain’t all on the RBs but it’s part of the problem. Even when we do get a solid carry they are normally bought down from the guys behind them not the guys in front. 

Singletary got great vision but he’s got no burst to take advantage of it

Could have had Dobbins and his 4.32. Instead we took a skinny DE

41 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I think we do need a better back, but we also need better OL play.  A new OL coach may be needed in addition to new players.  

whoever has scouted DL for us the past few years should NoT be allowed to have input on the next DL pick. FA and Draft have been awful

While I see where you’re coming from.  Losing Star really changed everything.  He did what the D needed him to do.  We haven’t had that with his replacements.  I think the DL as a whole would look much better if we had a guy that can do what star does.  We don’t have that.  I thought phillips or Butler might be able to be that guy. Obviously phillips isn’t living up to that.  Maybe Butler starting next to Ed is what we need with Zimmer and/or phillips hopefully improving as depth as the season goes on.  Jefferson shouldn’t play the 1 tech, so much so, that teams are doubling Ed (forcing him into the 1tech) and rendering him useless.  

I wasn’t a fan of the Butler signing at all.  Underachieving and will hopefully he gets a chance to start so we can see if he can fill stars role.  If he can’t we can get him off the books next season.  I like Jefferson and hope that we keep him at 6.5 mill next year.  Cutting him with 1.5 dead cap could happen when we crunch numbers but I like his addition.  Addison has 3 sacks, but how does he play the run?  I haven’t noticed him making any stops in the run game.  

If Beane had blown his load on these specific players AFTER star had opted out, one would have to ask wth he was doing.  I’d have liked to see Jefferson playing the inside on passing downs and DE on run spots.  Sucks that we’ll never know how we would’ve looked like with Star alongside these guys.  Might not have been as bad as it’s looking right now

I'm not against having a back with speed.  In fact I rather like the idea, but Clyde Edwards-Helaire is a virtual clone of Devin Singletary if your talking physical profile and running style, right down to the fact that they're both slow.  Yet Edwards-Helaire is leading the league in running yards and Devin is chewing out 3.3 yards per carry after a promising rookie year.  The evidence suggests something else is going on.  I'm not really buying Brian Daboll's solution either ("I've got to call better plays.")

On 10/20/2020 at 8:44 AM, thenorthremembers said:

I was beyond amazed they made Yeldon inactive yesterday when he averaged 7 yards a carry the game before. 

...how many times has he been flagged here as "....meh...fumbles too much" which was disproven in his stats?.......