New Injuries: Ford, Lewis, Dodson

YoloinOhio

On 10/20/2020 at 4:43 PM, Rochesterfan said:

It was zone coverage  - it was not switched up.  If White drops deeper - it opened the flat right in front of him.  I think he recognized the issue and was trying to get safety help deep.  It was the perfect play call for that defense and the throw and catch made it work.

I do not believe it was a breakdown as much as the right call at the right time.  That play is designed to put Tre in a predicament because if he drops to cover Kelsey - it opens the flat and if he plays the flat it opens Kelsey.  He tried to be in between, but was in no mans land.

Isn't White supposed to make contact with Kelce to slow him down before taking account of the HB running in the flat?

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

So for those who understand the X's and O's the trenches.  

How has Ford been at LG?  Is losing him actually a loss or are we better with Spain?  Assuming Spain is healthy this week.

@GunnerBill

@Alphadawg7

You didn’t ask me and I’m not a film watcher but I get the impression that the coaching staff thought ford would be better than Spain but he hasn’t been. I don’t know if Spain is healthy but I wouldn’t be surprised to see boettger or Bates there this week instead 

6 minutes ago, finn said:

Or Epenesa, Zimmer and Cox. :( 

Im still holding out hopes for Zimmer and Cox.  If Cox has half his father's passion he'll be 10x more passionate than any of the overpaid dead enders on D today

14 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

How has Ford been at LG?  Is losing him actually a loss or are we better with Spain?  Assuming Spain is healthy this week.

@GunnerBill

@Alphadawg7

I dunno about understand the X's and Os but I'll give my take.

Spain was benched due to failures in pass protection in the Mia game.

Spain was pretty good in pass protection last year

Spain was not as good in run blocking last year - that's the reason Tennessee moved on from him.

Ford at guard has generally been decent at LG in the pass game, but has not been as stout in the run game.  In particular, he's allowed defenders to get off his blocks and make plays.  He's been seen wearing a brace (I think on his R arm) and has been working through a groin injury.  There's also a transition to LG and he may just need to learn.

So which Spain are we getting back?  Week 1-2 model or last year's model?  If the latter, it's probably a push.  

If the former, it's a significant loss because Spain was benched for a reason.

Either way, the level of play has not been adequate for the run game.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

You didn’t ask me and I’m not a film watcher but I get the impression that the coaching staff thought ford would be better than Spain but he hasn’t been. I don’t know if Spain is healthy but I wouldn’t be surprised to see boettger or Bates there this week instead 

*shudder*

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Boettger has been hanging around for a little while.  They like something in him.

25 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

@GunnerBill

@Alphadawg7

I would never have benched Spain so may not be the right person to ask. He didn't play great at Miami week 2 but he has not had many bad games here. I did think Ford might give us a bit better run push and his first game at left guard he actually had one of his better games as a pro.... but he has been poor for the last 3 weeks now. Not getting any push, inconsistent hand placement in his blocks.... meh. I think I prefer him at tackle..... although he is not currently the best right tackle on the roster.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Boettger has been hanging around for a little while.  They like something in him.

Boettger seemed to do a nice job when he came in... though I've not been through the a22 yet.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I would never have benched Spain so may not be the right person to ask. He didn't play great at Miami week 2 but he has not had many bad games here. I did think Ford might give us a bit better run push and his first game at left guard he actually had one of his better games as a pro.... but he has been poor for the last 3 weeks now. Not getting any push, inconsistent hand placement in his blocks.... meh. I think I prefer him at tackle..... although he is not currently the best right tackle on the roster.

Mongo would solidify the RG spot.  Winters has been really bad from what I understand.

Maybe if Spain can give us something at LG, we might be all right.  

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Mongo would solidify the RG spot.  Winters has been really bad from what I understand.

Maybe if Spain can give us something at LG, we might be all right.  

Based on what I have seen it remains my view that Spain and Feliciano are the best guards on the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/20/2020 at 8:19 AM, H2o said:

Hindsight is 20/20, but I would rather have Phillips and Lawson over Jefferson, Butler, and Addison. 

Addison has been fine. 

Jefferson has shown potential.  

Not sure on Butler. 

I need a bigger sample size. I see no reason that the defense wont turn it around. 

On 10/20/2020 at 8:19 AM, H2o said:

Hindsight is 20/20, but I would rather have Phillips and Lawson over Jefferson, Butler, and Addison. 

I disagree on Lawson over Addison but Phillips over Butler by a large margin. 

1 hour ago, finn said:

Be nice to have Wyatt Teller on the roster about now. I always liked him. Terrific run blocker.

Trading Teller helped us get Diggs, personally I'll take Diggs. 

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

@GunnerBill

@Alphadawg7

To be honest, I am not so sure the problem is specifically the personnel.  I have personally hated the game plan and play calling the last 2 weeks Daboll has put together.  We are often running out of unconventional formations.  I feel like Daboll is being to cute with the run calls instead of committing to establishing the run game.  

Dont get me wrong, the OL has not done a good job at opening run lanes this year, so there is room for improvement there to say the least.  But also, the run game has felt forced and full of over thinking to try and trick the defense.  I would like to see more formations that are more conducive to successful run plays.  

But to go back to your question, I think Ford has been better at LG than he was at RT.  But he also hasn't done as well as I had hoped.  I can think of several occasions where I yelled F***ing Ford at the TV for example.  Now we have released Spain, so the guard position is quite concerning again considering Ford may not be healthy.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, High Football IQ said:

The Ford injury is the biggest issue because he was already trending in the wrong direction as another high draft pick from this regime and it will be convenient to use injury as part of the excuse for his lack of development in year two.

since he is trending down in your opinion , i might suggest the biggest issue is who starts at LG against the Jets.

I Like Ike :) 

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Guess that is off the table.