New Injuries: Ford, Lewis, Dodson

YoloinOhio

No update but a couple additions:

I think [Ford] was actually hurt on the 3rd down play but could not get off the field and ended up stranded out there for the 4th down effort.

The way they were manipulating his knee looked to me like a standard on-the-spot ACL diagnosis they do on the field.

It also looked to me like Ford was not tolerating it well at all. 😔

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, dneveu said:

At this point the entire defense is a mess.

People want edmunds benched... but milano and dodson are banged up so... not sure who you want to put in.

Klein - same thing.

Dline - they did bench guys, the new guys didn't do much either.  

Nickel CB is a struggle.  Norman made a nice play, but lets not forget how absolutely toasted he got the week before.  

The safeties aren't playing as well either.  Poyer has to make a play on that ball to kelce - not sure if he was worried about him breaking in on a post.  I wouldn't blame white there as it seemed like cover 2 so he has the crosser in front.  He bails for kelce and the crosser probably walks in anyway.

There appears to be some miscommunication between White and Poyer on that Kelce TD. Looks like White is motioning to someone to pick up Kelce so not sure if they switched it up based on the look the offense gave them but for a veteran group can't be having those type of breakdowns. Have to know that Kelce is their main red zone target and he should be the last one catching the ball.

1 hour ago, gordong said:

none of these guys move the needle anyway..  Ford doesn't seem to be able to run block worth a damn.  

I agree, for such a big guy he plays like a pussycat. I can't count how many times he has tried to block the invisible man and fall on the ground. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Simon said:

No update but a couple additions:

I think he was actually hurt on the 3rd down play but could not get off the field and ended up stranded out there for the 4th down effort.

The way they were manipulating his knee looked to me like a standard on-the-spot ACL diagnosis they do on the field.

It also looked to me like Ford was not tolerating it well at all. 😔

That would explain why our normally reliable 4th and 1 sneak didn't.

In hindsight, we would still have received an injury time out so perhaps it would have been better for Ford to show himself injured and bring in a healthy body up front.

The ACL bit is what I thought I saw as well. 

I think I'll merge this in with Yolo's thread.

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Ford carted off last night - 

With all of the injuries to the CBs I wonder if the Bills might kick the tires on Trumaine Johnson. Tramon Williams is available too but he's up there in age.  At guard Warford is still out there.

Not and injury but with Star being out and how poor they have been against the run (hope people appreciate what he brings to the defensive line now) I wouldn't mind them taking a look at Dareus either as a space eater.

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

If Mongo can come back that’d be huge. 

Roll out Spain at LG and Mongo at RG. Winters and Ford have been atrocious.

I guess the question is when was Spain injured in his foot and is he healthy enough now?

He was benched for good reason after Miami, in the pass protection aspect of his game where he is better.

40 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Passing without comment on the network (SHAMEFUL!)  and I haven't seen mentioned here.

Cody Ford was injured on the failed 4th and 1 conversion at the start of the 4th Q.  I saw him being attended to on the field and in the glimpse the network allowed us, it appeared to me they were focused on his knee.  "Return doubtful".

Any information?  He takes a lot of hate here but he would be a big, big loss to our OL

Have not seen anything, but I am sure he got rolled on the 3rd down play.  They fell across the back of his legs. 

He knew they were rushing to the line to quick snap and tried to play the 4th down play with a bad knee.  The definition of team effort trying to gut it out.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

There appears to be some miscommunication between White and Poyer on that Kelce TD. Looks like White is motioning to someone to pick up Kelce so not sure if they switched it up based on the look the offense gave them but for a veteran group can't be having those type of breakdowns. Have to know that Kelce is their main red zone target and he should be the last one catching the ball.

Even in quarters there - if you don't pick up the crosser he'll probably get to the end zone.  Communication is super important in zone coverage.

26 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

It was zone coverage  - it was not switched up.  If White drops deeper - it opened the flat right in front of him.  I think he recognized the issue and was trying to get safety help deep.  It was the perfect play call for that defense and the throw and catch made it work.

I do not believe it was a breakdown as much as the right call at the right time.  That play is designed to put Tre in a predicament because if he drops to cover Kelsey - it opens the flat and if he plays the flat it opens Kelsey.  He tried to be in between, but was in no mans land.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

It was zone coverage  - it was not switched up.  If White drops deeper - it opened the flat right in front of him.  I think he recognized the issue and was trying to get safety help deep.  It was the perfect play call for that defense and the throw and catch made it work.

I do not believe it was a breakdown as much as the right call at the right time.  That play is designed to put Tre in a predicament because if he drops to cover Kelsey - it opens the flat and if he plays the flat it opens Kelsey.  He tried to be in between, but was in no mans land.

I saw this play broken down last night by someone - it was perfect recognition and execution by KC. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

If Mongo can come back that’d be huge. 

Roll out Spain at LG and Mongo at RG. Winters and Ford have been atrocious.

Spain helped the offense soo much better than Winters. Still don't understand why he's still in there or why they benched Spain,. Winters playing worst O-Line right now and downright horrible. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Have not seen anything, but I am sure he got rolled on the 3rd down play.  They fell across the back of his legs. 

He knew they were rushing to the line to quick snap and tried to play the 4th down play with a bad knee.  The definition of team effort trying to gut it out.

I saw this as well. 

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I guess the question is when was Spain injured in his foot and is he healthy enough now?

He was benched for good reason after Miami, in the pass protection aspect of his game where he is better.

Ya it shows in pass protection by lots. Rather have that a strength and not a weakness. He really helped the pass game lots (Spain)

https://www.rochesterfirst.com/sports/the-bills-report/ford-lewis-dodson-all-could-be-a-out-a-while/

Sean McDermott said Tuesday afternoon that Cody Ford, Cam Lewis and Tyrel Dodson are all “week to week” after leaving the loss to the Chiefs with injuries.

The week to week designation from McDermott usually indicates a player that will be missing some games.

• Like (+1) 1

God I miss Rusty Jones....

Naw but seriously though, I don't know if it's due to the Covid induced weird unpredictable season, or something else, but for the life of me I cannot remember a year when we had this many injuries...EVER.

Between players who are actually injured and those out there still playing at less than 100%, we are LETHALLY thin, and I don't know if it's a good thing (it's still early, we still have our bye coming up, and a chance for our players to get healthy), or a bad thing (our schedule only gets tougher from here on out).  All I know is I am scared to death.  Every play I watch I hold my breath, because think about the KEY players out there playing with an injury:  Allen, Brown, Edmunds, White, Johnson, Moss, Oliver, Dodson, Phillips, and more I'm sure I've missed..

Something has gotta give.