For everyone freaking out about the D last night

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Um, no, @Over 29 years of fanhood.   No, the Bills did not play the same defense against the Titans and the Chiefs.

The Titans can by damn run the ball.  263 rush yards against the Texans.  What we did against the Titans is we said "we're going to limit your run game, beat us passing if you can".  The Titans said "OK"

What we did against the Chiefs is said "we're going to play first to take away your deep passing game, your quick strike passing.  Beat us running and with underneath stuff if you can."  The Chiefs said "OK, and while we're at it, we'll just grind out yards, convert 3rd downs, and keep the ball away from your offense"

To be fair, the Bills had the same number of offensive possessions. So they didn't really keep the ball away, the offense just didn't do anything when they had the ball.

1 hour ago, Captain Caveman said:

We gave up 26 points to the Chiefs.  The only team to give up fewer this year has been the Chargers (who gave up 23 and lost) - the Patriots also allowed 26 (and lost by more than we did.) 

Going into this game I thought our recipe for winning against the Chiefs would be holding them to under 30 and scoring more than that.  Were you all really anticipating holding them to much less?

If it wasn't raining it would have been worse.. Also, the Bills basically played not to lose and did not play to win. They sat back on defense, rarely brought any pressure and KC just shredded them on the ground and with short passes.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Um, no, @Over 29 years of fanhood.   No, the Bills did not play the same defense against the Titans and the Chiefs.

The Titans can by damn run the ball.  263 rush yards against the Texans.  What we did against the Titans is we said "we're going to limit your run game, beat us passing if you can".  The Titans said "OK"

What we did against the Chiefs is said "we're going to play first to take away your deep passing game, your quick strike passing.  Beat us running and with underneath stuff if you can."  The Chiefs said "OK, and while we're at it, we'll just grind out yards, convert 3rd downs, and keep the ball away from your offense"

no no... I’m saying the bills played the same defense vs chiefs offense that the titans defense  played vs bills offense. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

21 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I sort of agree. In those conditions, playing scared on d is foolish. They essentially played the same defense that titans played vs bills, except KC can run the ball. 

In that weather play up and if you get torched deep then back off. 

The defensive gameplans were completely different

7 minutes ago, JPicc2114 said:

If it wasn't raining it would have been worse.. Also, the Bills basically played not to lose and did not play to win. They sat back on defense, rarely brought any pressure and KC just shredded them on the ground and with short passes.

For years the Bills have applied the "bend don't break" philosophy. But with our abysmal DL this year we're breaking. We can't get off the field regardless of whether our opponent runs or throws.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh, I see now.  Yes, similarities, except that the Titans succeeded in putting some pressure with their line and stuffing our run.

thst was the other thing. Worked for titans because  the bills running game isn’t nearly as good as KCs and Bills front 4 isn’t as good as titans. 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The defensive gameplans were completely different

They (the billsdefense) essentially played the same defense that (the) titans (defense) played vs bills (offense), except KC (offense) can run the ball. (And bills offense cannot) 

the scheme was nearly identical, nickel/dime deep cover two /cover 4 zone shell 

9 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Yup and then who next?  And next?  Like I said it will get crunchy.....very crunchy.

I guess?  I think we have 3 more games against teams as good as the Titans or Chiefs.  Yes, a few of them are coming up with Patriots and Seahawks.  I think we match well against the Patriots, and we'll see if we can pick it up against Seattle (hopefully with a healthier roster at that point.)

10 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

They (the billsdefense) essentially played the same defense that (the) titans (defense) played vs bills (offense), except KC (offense) can run the ball. (And bills offense cannot) 

the scheme was nearly identical, nickel/dime deep cover two /cover 4 zone shell 

Yes, I understand you now, and that's correct.

Adding in the difference that the Titans defense can pressure with 4, play the run and set the edge to keep contain on the QB, and the Bills defense apparently can not.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DuckyBoys said:

bend but dont break doesnt work when you allow 7 yards per carry  We got serious problems  This defense has been awful since the second half of the playoff game

5.3 ypc, 8.2 ypp, but that's a nit

Overall, I don't see how/why your fundamental point is being argued against.  We were giving up 31 yd runs, 22 yd short pass plays, etc etc.

Allowed them to convert 3rd and 12, 3rd and 14, 3rd and 7, 3rd and 6.

When you let a team convert 3rd and long like that, "bend don't break" be breaking

1 hour ago, McGahee said:

Allen and the offense were a much bigger problem than the defense last night...

SMH.  This is like saying "the stench of the dead woodchuck under the porch is so much worse than that of the overflowing outhouse"

They're different stenches, but they're both horrible, and they're both huge problems.  We're not going to win many games unless both of them get fixed.

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

To be fair, the Bills had the same number of offensive possessions. So they didn't really keep the ball away, the offense just didn't do anything when they had the ball.

No question that lack of offensive execution was a huge part of the loss, and that if the offense had sustained just one more drive, the result might have differed. 

Can we agree that it's not just sheer number of possessions that count?  Just as it shows our offense didn't do a good job if the possessions last 4 plays,  it shows that the defense didn't do a good job if the possessions last 6,7,8 minutes and result in a score?  It's equally true that if just one more Chiefs drive had ended in a 4th down outside FG range, the result might have differed. It doesn't help offensive sharpness to sit on the bench for 5 and a half, 6 and a half, almost 8 minutes either.

While we're at it can we give some Looooove to that "not just wide right, but further than an extra set of goalposts wide right" field goal?  We go into halftime tied, perhaps results differ.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, I understand you now, and that's correct.

Adding in the difference that the Titans defense can pressure with 4, play the run and set the edge to keep contain on the QB, and the Bills defense apparently can not.

yep.  Front 4 talent and ability to do exactly what you say is everything in this defense. 

people keep harping on the linebackers, but in this scheme the mlb is a glorified traditional strong safety and on run fits they are supposed to play their gap, not go ball hunting.

the other thing that jumped off the screen is that mentality of flying to the ball and hitting has vanished.

TreD watched Tremaine trying to bring Kelcie down then jumped to avoid contact. You’d like to see a sell out attempt to hit him and keep him from crossing the goal line. 

in a screen pass Ed and maybe Addison where on either side of the RB, barely engaged with blockers and did nothing to try and impede him. It’s like they decided welp, my job is to occupy a blocker no need to go for extra credit here... 

57 minutes ago, McGahee said:

Allen and the offense were a much bigger problem than the defense last night...

Not saying Allen and the offense played well, but they played significantly better than the defense last night. 

This reminds me of some of the hot takes after the Bills vs Saints game that we lost 47-10. People trying to blame the loss solely on Tyrod when the DEF gave up 300 yards rushing and a TD on almost every Saints possession. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Captain Caveman said:

We gave up 26 points to the Chiefs.  The only team to give up fewer this year has been the Chargers (who gave up 23 and lost) - the Patriots also allowed 26 (and lost by more than we did.) 

Going into this game I thought our recipe for winning against the Chiefs would be holding them to under 30 and scoring more than that.  Were you all really anticipating holding them to much less?

You can't compare the typical KC offense to last night's game.  They brought an entirely different game plan.  I don't know if it was due to the whether, due to tape on the Bills, etc.  They didn't bring their "high powered" offense.  Mahomes was a game manager last night and they ran the ball up our "personalities" using much more clock on their drives than they typically due.  While we did drop our defenders some, to keep their receivers in front of us, we couldn't stop their run so they just simply kept bringing it.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is exactly what happened

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Absolutely.  The offense did NOT do enough, and some but not all of that is on Josh.  I actually thought he showed a lot of poise - it seemed like there were red jerseys in his face all night and for a lot of it he was "I don't care"

It was sucky weather for passing and especially early on, Josh had some chances we could not capitalize on.  His ball placement sucked early on, for whatever reason.  I wonder if "fear of turnovers" was partly on his head and he was erring too far on the side of caution.

In the end though, the game came down to "they had a running game, we didn't; they had a run D, we didn't"

And oh yeah, much much better game for our ST but that makeable FG at the end of the half would absolutely have helped.

I'm with you. If I could pick one area that I'm more worried about it's the DEFENSE. Saying we were in the game against the SB Champs is a moral victory. Clearly, we are short on defense,  coaching to take the big play is even fine. However, executing or lack there of, to the tune of allowing 250?yards rushing, not being able to put an any pressure on the QB, not being able to stop people on 3rd downs and the Red Zone (chronic issues) are huge problems. We were lucky to be in that game, yeah if we had one more lucky play on the fumble, maybe we find a way, or more likely Mahomes brings them right back to score. Generally speaking, we aren't doing anything on either side of the ball well enough the last 2 weeks. C'mon McBeane figure this out quick.

• Like (+1) 1