For everyone freaking out about the D last night

11 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Full stop on this narrative.  

They had the ball for about 2/3rds of the game.  

I’ll say it again for those in the back...

Its a 60 minute game.  Our Offense had about 7 possessions to score more than 26 points.  One of those being a desperation play for a long FG before half. 

BINGO!

Again, it reminded me of XXV, which I attended soooo long ago. But, unlike the Giants under Hostetler, the Chiefs have a HOF capable QB in Mahomes. The reason Reid decided to allow KC to run the ball, was because he found out early he COULD! And the D was so pitiful, that he was eating up huge chunks of time, where they could not get off the field, let alone stop lengthy 3rd, Down conversions. It was a complete illusion that the game appeared this close!

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

This is a case where it's important to watch the game, and not just look at the box score.

The ONLY reason we held the Chiefs to 26 points was because they decided to run it down our throats.

Even when we pulled within 6 points, I never had the confidence our Defense could come up with a stop.

I did watch the game.  If the one fumble had happened a second earlier (before the knee was down) we most likely take the lead in the 4th quarter.  Our D line has't been good this year, and some of the losses (Star, Shaq, Jordan Phillips) have definitely hurt, but I feel like overall the Offense needed to play better last night.  

People are angry that the Chiefs controlled time of possession, and it's valid, but the offense HAS to pick up more first downs and 1 or 2 more long drives to help the defense out.  

To me giving up 200 plus yards on the ground is worse and much more painful to watch than a few big pass plays even if the score is lower in the end.   It did not matter if it was 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 17, you knew that the Chiefs were going to convert it 90 percent of the time.  

So far this season, the defensive unit which carried the team from 2017-2019 when the offense was not that great has now become a liability when the offense has finally gotten better.   Hopefully, they can turn it around.  

This is a really bad take.  As others have noted, the only reason why we "held" Kansas City to 26 points is because they ran the ball all day and ground down the clock.  They were moving the chains at will and could have hung 40+ on us if they had wanted to.  Nobody who actually watched the game would defend the team for "only" giving up 26.  I get that you might think that way if all you saw was the final score, but our defense was absolutely man-handled the entire night.

Moreover, this is not just a one game thing.  The defense has been poor in every single game except the Jets game, and that was against the Jets.  I mean, Allen had a bad game last night but I'm not too bothered about it because he's been very good so far and I'm not going to freak out over one bad game.  The defense has now had five back-to-back-to-back-to-back-to-back games in a row.  That's not a weird aberration or a single deviation from an otherwise positive trajectory.  At this point, it's impossible to avoid the conclusion that something is seriously wrong with the defense.

It's actually getting to the point that I'm starting to wonder if this isn't getting into the offense's head a bit.  We grew kind of accustomed to following a team that did well to put up 17 or so points a game, and the offense's ineptitude always put the defense under all sorts of pressure.  The could afford to give up about one drive a game, but not two, not if we were going to win.  Now the tables are turned -- the defense can't get off the field on third down regardless of distance, they're not getting turnovers, they're not getting pressure let alone sacks, and it often feels like they give up points on every single drive.  (This isn't just a KC-is-awesome thing.  Recall that we couldn't really even slow down the freaking Dolphins back in week 2).  When we fell behind by 10 last night, that was when it seemed like the game was officially over because we just weren't going to get enough possessions to make up that deficit and the additional points that we all knew we were going to concede.  The offense has to feel as if it needs to score on every possession, and that can't make life easy on any of those guys.  

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

The only reason we held them to a relatively low point total was our attempt at ball control offense (we had one long drive), and the fact Andy Reid decided to run the ball all night. We never really stopped them, and I think they could have thrown the ball all over the yard if they wanted. 

I have to agree with you.  They had a 9 minute drive I believe where they passed once or twice but pretty much owned the line of scrimmage.  It seemed like they were toying with the Bills defense.  I can only imagine that if it was a shoot out the Bills would have been outshot....nothing like the Jets to make all things right again.

37 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

We gave up 26 points to the Chiefs.  The only team to give up fewer this year has been the Chargers (who gave up 23 and lost) - the Patriots also allowed 26 (and lost by more than we did.) 

Going into this game I thought our recipe for winning against the Chiefs would be holding them to under 30 and scoring more than that.  Were you all really anticipating holding them to much less?

I agree. The defensive gameplan was hard to watch but it worked. Unfortunately the offensive gameplan was hard to watch and failed. 

6 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

People are angry that the Chiefs controlled time of possession, and it's valid, but the offense HAS to pick up more first downs and 1 or 2 more long drives to help the defense out.  

Or maybe the defense could quit giving up conversions on third-and-long over and over again.  The fact that you're expecting flawless play from the offense to bail them out essentially concedes that it's a problem.  Right now the Bills are a totally one dimensional team, and those sorts of teams typically don't last long in the playoffs.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I agree. The defensive gameplan was hard to watch but it worked. Unfortunately the offensive gameplan was hard to watch and failed. 

Lost in all of this is the sneaky fact that CEH was a hair away from handing the Bills a late lead had his knee hit 1/4 second later.

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Lost in all of this is the sneaky fact that CEH was a hair away from handing the Bills a late lead had his knee hit 1/4 second later.

Yep. Don't get me wrong the defense is not what it has been and it was ugly viewing but it got almost no help from the offense last night. 

38 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

We gave up 26 points to the Chiefs.  The only team to give up fewer this year has been the Chargers (who gave up 23 and lost) - the Patriots also allowed 26 (and lost by more than we did.) 

Going into this game I thought our recipe for winning against the Chiefs would be holding them to under 30 and scoring more than that.  Were you all really anticipating holding them to much less?

It's not just the points. They could have thrown the ball more and lit up the scoreboard if they had too. It wasn't necessary because our defense was gouged for 245 yds on the ground making CEH look like an All-Pro. Mahomes was still 21-26 for 225 and 2 TD's. Our defense can't stop a nose bleed. 

42 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

Whats this WE stuff, I never left the living room

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Or maybe the defense could quit giving up conversions on third-and-long over and over again.  The fact that you're expecting flawless play from the offense to bail them out essentially concedes that it's a problem.  Right now the Bills are a totally one dimensional team, and those sorts of teams typically don't last long in the playoffs.

I'm not expecting flawless play from the offense.  They needed some first downs.  Josh passed for 120 yards and 50% accuracy.  There's not a team in the league that will beat the Chiefs with that from their QB.  

And I'm not saying the sky is falling or Josh has regressed or we're in trouble.  Just that he's had a couple bad games in a row, and last night we weren't beating the best team in the league with that game from him.

1 minute ago, Captain Caveman said:

I'm not expecting flawless play from the offense.  They needed some first downs.  Josh passed for 120 yards and 50% accuracy.  There's not a team in the league that will beat the Chiefs with that from their QB.  

And I'm not saying the sky is falling or Josh has regressed or we're in trouble.  Just that he's had a couple bad games in a row, and last night we weren't beating the best team in the league with that game from him.

Last night's offensive struggles were not all on Josh. He didn't play great, he missed some chances early and then started pressing but he didn't get much assistance either. It was the worst pass blocking day our line has had, our running backs are slow and apart from Diggs there were not many guys getting open.