For everyone freaking out about the D last night

We gave up 26 points to the Chiefs.  The only team to give up fewer this year has been the Chargers (who gave up 23 and lost) - the Patriots also allowed 26 (and lost by more than we did.) 

Going into this game I thought our recipe for winning against the Chiefs would be holding them to under 30 and scoring more than that.  Were you all really anticipating holding them to much less?

• Like (+1) 4

The only reason we held them to a relatively low point total was our attempt at ball control offense (we had one long drive), and the fact Andy Reid decided to run the ball all night. We never really stopped them, and I think they could have thrown the ball all over the yard if they wanted. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Full stop on this narrative.  

They had the ball for about 2/3rds of the game.  

I’ll say it again for those in the back...

Its a 60 minute game.  Our Offense had about 7 possessions to score more than 26 points.  One of those being a desperation play for a long FG before half. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

the weather and the d strategy worked to help us on that front.

the tactics of our d though, the actual play calls and such, left something to be desired more than a few times.  the execution by our d line and to a lesser extent our LBs was disgusting.

on the other side of the ball, their d played hard and dirty all game, and our guys kinda wilted.  i think brown is still hurt and we just can't run the football.

lots to work on

• Like (+1) 1

This is a case where it's important to watch the game, and not just look at the box score.

The ONLY reason we held the Chiefs to 26 points was because they decided to run it down our throats.

Even when we pulled within 6 points, I never had the confidence our Defense could come up with a stop.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Andy Reid was more than happy to run the ball all over us as well and Mahomes smart enough to dunk and dunk underneath.

Our lack of a running game is  going to haunt us when conditions dictate we shouldn’t be throwing as much.  Also at times our d couldn’t get off the field when really needed

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life

Here is what what happened......Star stepped out for the season - Lawson went to Miami, Milano has been injured the last 4ish weeks and Lorax retired.  Thats a HUGE chunk of D that left with NO replacement in place.  THERE is the problem.  Whine moan and create any theory you want but there are big parts that have gone MIA and it effects the rest of the D.  The Covids and the Chefs lost practically no one from their starting D last year.....not to mention they are 1 and 2 in the AFC.  Bills were struggling on D before they ran into this buzzsaw.  It will get harder before it gets easier....

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

This is a case where it's important to watch the game, and not just look at the box score.

The ONLY reason we held the Chiefs to 26 points was because they decided to run it down our throats.

Even when we pulled within 6 points, I never had the confidence our Defense could come up with a stop.

The. Worst. Feeling.  

We cut it to 6, with what.. 7 minutes left?  I still never felt we had a chance. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

We gave up 26 points to the Chiefs.  The only team to give up fewer this year has been the Chargers (who gave up 23 and lost) - the Patriots also allowed 26 (and lost by more than we did.) 

Going into this game I thought our recipe for winning against the Chiefs would be holding them to under 30 and scoring more than that.  Were you all really anticipating holding them to much less?

So the Defense did a good job?

When does defense doing a good job turn into the defense is bad.

IF the bills give up 300 rushing yards to the Jets but as long as they win 31-26 they did go?

Just trying to find the line here.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kwai San said:

Here is what what happened......Star stepped out for the season - Lawson went to Miami, Milano has been injured the last 4ish weeks and Lorax retired.  Thats a HUGE chunk of D that left with NO replacement in place.  THERE is the problem.  Whine moan and create any theory you want but there are big parts that have gone MIA and it effects the rest of the D.  The Covids and the Chefs lost practically no one from their starting D last year.....not to mention they are 1 and 2 in the AFC.  Bills were struggling on D before they ran into this buzzsaw.  It will get harder before it gets easier....

Solid points. I don’t think our d will be elite this year but I think we can be better on third downs with a little better communication and some healthy players. 
Defense has been patchwork all year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, wvbillsfan said:

Might have actually hurt us more. We are the team that wants to run 4wrs and throw the ball all over the yard because we can’t run. 

So what you are saying is we have coaches that cant adjust to weather.

Sounds like a great staff then.

14 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

They had 500 yards of total offense. The downpour kept them at 26 points, not the defense that gave up 200 rushing yards and 5 incomplete passes

1 minute ago, Kwai San said:

That is the truth...except it should  get easier...the Bills got the Jests  this week ;)

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The. Worst. Feeling.  

We cut it to 6, with what.. 7 minutes left?  I still never felt we had a chance. 

If the D could have got a stop Josh would have put together another drive.

13 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Andy Reid was more than happy to run the ball all over us as well and Mahomes smart enough to dunk and dunk underneath.

Our lack of a running game is  going to haunt us when conditions dictate we shouldn’t be throwing as much.  Also at times our d couldn’t get off the field when really needed

Sure wish we had Henry that dude is a beast. We took Reggie Ragland 4 picks before Henry in case everyone forgot.

Edited by ALLEN1QB
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, CountDorkula said:

So what you are saying is we have coaches that cant adjust to weather.

Sounds like a great staff then.

I think the coaches tried offensively to adjust to the weather. You saw it in the run game. 
what I’m saying is the weather prevented us from playing to our strength which is going to be a problem later in the year.