Week 7: Bills at Jets

YoloinOhio

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We opened against the Ravens and it was quickly clear that our offense was totally impotent.  Speaking of impotent, Flacco was showing clearly he was on the downhill slide.  4 sacks, a fumble, and we still couldn't get it done.  Awful awful game.

The Thursday night game against the Jets in 2017 was when I was just starting to date my current girlfriend. We went to a watch party with some college friends. I don't think I paid attention to her one bit, I was so angry that we lost to the damn Jets. 

1 hour ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

Think that's a great shout. Then get me Notre Dame LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah in the 2nd (although I think he might be playing himself into the 1st potentially) and we're cooking again. Dude gives me *pre-injury* Jaylon Smith vibes and not just because they both played LB at ND. Speed, instincts, and great vs the run and in coverage. Seems like a McBeane type as well...senior, team captain, hard worker etc.

We need a space eater. Not sure if we'll address that in FA or Draft, or if Star coming back will be the answer... One I like is Taylor Shelvin from LSU. He's a monster. 

37 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yeah, an early to mid-year three-game stretch of defensive ineptitude seems to have become a yearly McDermott tradition.

That 2017 Saints game still gives me nightmares.

it's true.. and we bounced back those years and ended up with a good defense... Maybe we will again! *crosses fingers and toes*

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Can you educate me - is that a 3 week IR or season long he reverts to?

I don't think anyone here knows for sure. The NFL never said anything about it.  Original rule is that he would go to season ending.  Covid rule doesn't really have language that changes it, however it does say unlimited guys can come off this year.  

31 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

it's true.. and we bounced back those years and ended up with a good defense... Maybe we will again! *crosses fingers and toes*

That's been true and maybe it's just my negative nature, but something feels different. I think they bet hard on quick penetrating defensive lineman and the league shifted the rules. Those guys are much more easily neutralized if you allow holding. 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think White has said.  It may have been something bothering him at a low level all season but never enough to affect a practice?

He said it "flared" in practice before the Titans game and that it's been getting better, that he is trying to do his rehab at the facility and at home and "stay off his feet" as much as possible.  The "flared" bit implies to me something that was already present

"Staying off his feet" makes sense.  I have a degenerative disc in my lower back.  It's aggravated when I stand.  It actually feels better when I walk.  

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

I have yet to find ANY confirmation on if he reverts does it mean the clock starts toward 3 weeks again. 

Yeah, who are our NFL rules and procedures gurus?  @YoloinOhio?  We need some help here!

1) if Feliciano isn't activated on Weds, does he go back on IR for 3 weeks, or for the rest of the season?

2) with all these guys brought up from the PS....are they all counted against the guys who went on the covid IR?  In other words, do we currently have a slot on the 53 man open?

Or does it vary?

I'm so confused

1 hour ago, jeremy2020 said:

That's been true and maybe it's just my negative nature, but something feels different. I think they bet hard on quick penetrating defensive lineman and the league shifted the rules. Those guys are much more easily neutralized if you allow holding. 

You know, I hadn't thought about it...but that's a very good point about holding being allowed more.

The other thing that I haven't heard mentioned is we did switch DL coaches.  Maybe that was a bad idea?

• Like (+1) 1

Having a change of heart: 

Initially with all the defensive issues and injuries, I thought McD would shell up again, giving maximum support from the safeties to the depleted corners and WRs. Force Darnold to work the field (as usual) and take advantage of their lack of talent as the field tightens (classic McD). 

Seeing that Crowder is out, I wonder if he’ll go completely the opposite, relentlessly bringing pressure and try to rattle Darnold, minimizing the amount of cover time the newbies in the defensive back field will have to endure. I think I like this route this week. Mostly for the following reasons...

Maybe I’m just being too hopeful, but please, dear lord, let that defense mix it up a bit. Watching that defense has been like consistently shoving ritz crackers down your throat and washing it down with a spoon full of cinnamon. 

POUR ON THE SIRRACHA, BABY!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Logic said:

Yeah, an early to mid-year three-game stretch of defensive ineptitude seems to have become a yearly McDermott tradition.

That 2017 Saints game still gives me nightmares.

Best seats I've had for a Bills game. 

Was begging to go back to the rockpile...

What a beating.

Bit of trivia....what infamous incident occurred at that game? 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

"Staying off his feet" makes sense.  I have a degenerative disc in my lower back.  It's aggravated when I stand.  It actually feels better when I walk.  

I have two of those. L2 and L3. Scoliosis is a B word. 

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I reacted "laugh" but I totally Feel Your Pain.

In 2016, the Bills opening game was on my actual birthday.  8-8 under Rex the previous year which was a disappointment, but THIS YEAR WOULD BE DIFFERENT.  Whaley had gone out and gotten the players Sexy R. wanted, and this thing was gonna be ON!

We opened against the Ravens and it was quickly clear that our offense was totally impotent.  Speaking of impotent, Flacco was showing clearly he was on the downhill slide.  4 sacks, a fumble, and we still couldn't get it done.  Awful awful game.

oh man that one was BRUTAL. 

• Like (+1) 1

I may miss this game. I stayed up all night to watch UFC 254. Totally worth it but now I'm running on no sleep and don't know if I can tolerate having an abbreviated sleep cycle to get up for the Bills game. Looks like a mess on paper but if I oversleep and they dominate I question whether or not I should watch anymore games live the rest of the season.

14 hours ago, MJS said:

Do we know anything about White's back injury, like when or how it happened?

I haven't been following stuff much this week.

I think it was in practice after the raiders game. There was a video of him covering I think Diggs successfully then next day he’s on injury report with back. I could be wrong tho. 

2 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I think it was in practice after the raiders game. There was a video of him covering I think Diggs successfully then next day he’s on injury report with back. I could be wrong tho. 

That's probably what made it "flare" but it sounds like something he was already dealing with.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/23/2020 at 4:40 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Davis may do nothing for you, but he's doing catch % 78%, 32 ypg and 14 ypr for the Bills which is better catch% and the same ypr that Duke managed last year.

Whatever your opinion of their relative merits may be, it seems the Bills need to activate OL, CB, and LB so activating a WR is way down their to-do list.

Not even sure what you are saying, but another game Davis gets huge % of snaps, another game of 1 catch.  He does nothing for this team on the outside.  At least Duke will be a factor if given the snaps.

On 10/23/2020 at 4:21 PM, NewEra said:

and you’re serious?

Ya, Davis stinks as an outside WR.  Gets one on one cover with Diggs on outside, and does nothing to get opened.

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Not even sure what you are saying, but another game Davis gets huge % of snaps, another game of 1 catch.  He does nothing for this team on the outside.  At least Duke will be a factor if given the snaps.

Based on what evidence?

People love to polarize between “lovers” and “haters”.  I’m not a Duke “hater”.  But I don’t know where the notion arises that Duke is this separation superstar either.

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

Ya, Davis stinks as an outside WR.  Gets one on one cover with Diggs on outside, and does nothing to get opened.

Oh man.  You’re clueless.  Duke Williams gets open though.  BWHAHAHAHAHA