Week 7: Bills at Jets

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Not it's not.  Do you not remember how we got taken to the wood shed in 2017 with the Chargers and Saints?  Guess what?  We fixed the issues and improved.  

Same thing last year when the Eagles ran 200+ yards against us.  The next week, AD had I believe 90 or so yards at half time.  

Yep.

This happens every year with McDermott's defense.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This game is the free square on a bingo card. My excitement level is equivalent to that of a preseason game. I just hope Allen finds himself again in this one.

Wow.

Low bar.

This is a meaningful regular season game against a divisional opponent and we're the Bills.

I am way, way more excited (and anxious) about this game than I ever could be a preseason game.

Rumor has it that the Jets are actually actively tanking(playing Flacco, trading picks), so I dont think this game will be a particularly good gauge of our ability to rebound. Granted, a win and especially a divisional win will be good, but if something happens to where we lose, or the Jets make a game out of it, I will officially be in panic/doubter mode. There is a country mile between the Jets and our recent two opponents 

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yep.

This happens every year with McDermott's defense.

this has been in the back of my mind over the past week. We always seem to have a big midseason slump on defense but they get it figured out. Our playoff defense was lights out both times. 

Now the question is, was the first quarter offense for real?

• Like (+1) 1

Would be great to get a big lead in the 1st half and sit some of our beat up guys.  We havent had any impact plays from guys like Tremaine and Tre White who we know are playing less than 100%.

Keep getting guys like Zimmer, Cox, Daryl Johnson, Epenesa, and Moss valuable reps out there.

It seems like resting John Brown so he's fresh for the Patriots makes sense too, he got rushed back for KC too early.

• Like (+1) 1

I want to see a blowout. Analytically, beating up bad teams is what good teams do. Its okay to lose to the Chiefs by 9 points, make some corrections for round 2 in January, fine. But if we're being predictive it's a red flag if we have to squeak by a Jets team in obvious tank mode with a lame duck HC. 

2 hours ago, Big C said:

this has been in the back of my mind over the past week. We always seem to have a big midseason slump on defense but they get it figured out. Our playoff defense was lights out both times. 

Now the question is, was the first quarter offense for real?

It's somewhere in between our first four games and our last two.  I'm more concerned about our defense as this isn't a slump. We struggled against the Fins, Rams, and Raiders at times even though we won.

10 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

I want to see a blowout. Analytically, beating up bad teams is what good teams do. Its okay to lose to the Chiefs by 9 points, make some corrections for round 2 in January, fine. But if we're being predictive it's a red flag if we have to squeak by a Jets team in obvious tank mode with a lame duck HC. 

I get we are a much better team than the jets. Yet, I am taking nothing for granted. Currently, we are playing poorly on both sides of the ball, playing a divisional opponent, and albeit on the road. This is by no means a "free square." Upsets happen every week and the best team doesn't always win. Don't get me wrong, I'm expecting a W but this over confidence and arrogant talk isn't appealing to this fan.

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I get we are a much better team than the jets. Yet, I am taking nothing for granted. Currently, we are playing poorly on both sides of the ball, playing a divisional opponent, and albeit on the road. This is by no means a "free square." Upsets happen every week and the best team doesn't always win. Don't get me wrong, I'm expecting a W but this over confidence and arrogant talk isn't appealing to this fan.

What arrogance? Stating what I'd like to see. Not convinced it will happen. Good teams beat up bad teams, if you can't do that you're probably not that good.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

What arrogance? Stating what I'd like to see. Not convinced it will happen. Good teams beat up bad teams, if you can't do that you're probably not that good.

I wasn't directing the arrogance statement towards you. I apologize for that. I should have left that out of my response to you. It was more directed towards others.

We are in year 3. If we don’t blow out a joke of a Jets team I will continue to have serious doubts about the timing of McDermott’s extension. 

don’t forget about last year’s Dolphin’s game coming out of the bye

don’t forget about November 2, 2017 when we were embarrassed by a “tanking” Jets team 

3 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

I don't need a blowout as a fan, and I don't think the Bills do, either. On offense, I would prefer a clinical, dispassionate win, where they pretty much do what they want to. I'm thinking a heavy dose of Singletary, an occasional deep shot by Allen, plenty of throws to the tight ends... Essentially what the Chiefs did to us. Treat it like a practice or preseason game to work out problems and try out players and schemes. On defense, though, good lord. The coaches and players might have to play their best game of the season to keep the score under 30. This defense is Dallas level. 

Damn. The line is up to BUF -13. Wow.

19 minutes ago, finn said:

I don't need a blowout as a fan, and I don't think the Bills do, either. On offense, I would prefer a clinical, dispassionate win, where they pretty much do what they want to. I'm thinking a heavy dose of Singletary, an occasional deep shot by Allen, plenty of throws to the tight ends... Essentially what the Chiefs did to us. Treat it like a practice or preseason game to work out problems and try out players and schemes. On defense, though, good lord. The coaches and players might have to play their best game of the season to keep the score under 30. This defense is Dallas level. 

So literally six days after keeping KANSAS CITY to under 30, you are thinking that they'll have to play "their best game of the season to keep the score under 30" against... the New York Jets?

10 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This game is the free square on a bingo card. My excitement level is equivalent to that of a preseason game. I just hope Allen finds himself again in this one.

Why? The Bills are a 1st place team. Win on Sunday gives them a season sweep over the Jets and a 3-0 division record. It also gives them a 5-2 record heading into what will be the biggest regular season game in OP in a long time vs the evil empire. Win that and its 6-2, 4-0 in the division. I just hope ( I don't think they are) they aren't looking ahead to NE. They shouldn't coming off two losses so they need to handle business this week against the Jets. Today's Daily News shows the Bills as a 13 point favorite. Vegas money must be coming in heavy on the Bills.

I was exaggerating out of frustration, but if McDermott keeps playing Cox, Epenesa and Zimmer, and Milano is still out, yes, I do think the defense will struggle against the Jets. They might struggle against even some of the better college football teams. Starting the practice squad defensive line was just a dumb move--and not in hindsight either. Add in Josh Norman and A.J. Klein as starters, too, and it gets depressing fast. 

Are you saying it was impressive that the Bills held KC to under 30 points?