Week 7: Bills at Jets

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wow.  Who'd they piss off?  

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Bojo becoming one of the best punters just like I expected. Never doubted him

Sounds like we need to bump the Dump Bojo thread(s) 

------------------------------------------------------

Dear Josh Allen,

Shave (what you call) the beard!!!   

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce

1 hour ago, dorquemada said:

The Jets probably arent going 0-16, which means even at 1-15 they're beating someone.  Why not Buffalo?

Looking at their schedule, they're going 0-16 and Trevor Lawrence is staying at Clemson. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, billsherd said:

I am talking about when he was 5 of 15 with 25 yards or something.  Josh hasn't been any where close to what he has been first 4 games. 

I suspect a good part of this is due to the 10 - 1 record of our opponents the last 2 weeks and to the possibility that the NFL has learned we can't run the football and our TE's represent no viable threat downfield. Especially when Knox is out.

Last night BOTH defensive schemes and the weather largely took out the high octane passing attacks of both teams. So that means you better be able to lean on your running game and short passing attack. Last night when you look at the production for our RB/TE's versus the Chiefs a disturbing pattern develops:

Chiefs RB production =  35 carries for 204 yards & 1 TD

Bills RB production = 15 carries for 42yards

Chiefs TE & RB receiving production = 11 catches for 90 yards & 2 TD's

Bills TE & RB receiving production = 2 catches for 20 yards

Total production for the Chiefs = 46 touches for 294 yards& 3 TD's

Total production for the Bills = 17 touches for 62 yards & no TD's

You can blame this lack of production on Allen if you want and some will.  But I prefer to believe my lying eyes which tell me we don't have the horses at RB or TE to do what KC did last night.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

Yes the Jets suck, yes Darnold is likely out or at least hobbled. But all the pressure is on the Bills.  After the past 2 games and how much the Jets suck, anything short of a crushing will be largely looked at as a failure by the Bills.  A lot of eyes will be on the Bills, and so far when the spotlight has been on them ...

Maybe but if we squeak a win out all will be forgotten if we beat the Patriots.  Just win the damn game and don't suffer any crippling injuries.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He had way too many inaccurate throws last night. Two bad ones to start off, a bad missed TD pass on the opening drive, and a brutal drive killer to Beasley on their first drive in the third (and man, he has to play better in the third quarter). I know you said the one that should have gone to Singletary was a smart throwaway because he would have taken a sack in the past, but ... Singletary was wide open and it was a pretty easy throw. I expect he'll play a lot better against the Jets.

First off Allen attempted 3 long passes last night.  He was badly off on one but the other two were perfectly placed balls with Diggs dropping one at the back of the end zone and Brown having the ball knocked away by a great defensive play by the KC DB.  I'll take accurately throwing 2 out of 3 deep balls all day long.

Sure Allen started off badly with back to back poor throws.  Then on 3rd & 10 he escaped a fierce pass rush to make a great throw for a first down that brown dropped. Drops happen but to call out Allen's first 2 bad throws and not mention his great 3rd throw is an example of the often biased discussions of his performance on TBD.

And to call the missed throw to Singleterry an "easy throw" is just plain wrong IMO.  Allen was running for his life.  Under that level of pressure there are no easy throws.  And as others have mentioned Allen may have been thinking that Singleterry was going to run to the end zone there. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

First off Allen attempted 3 long passes last night.  He was badly off on one but the other two were perfectly placed balls with Diggs dropping one at the back of the end zone and Brown having the ball knocked away by a great defensive play by the KC DB.  I'll take accurately throwing 2 out of 3 deep balls all day long.

Sure Allen started off badly with back to back poor throws.  Then on 3rd & 10 he escaped a fierce pass rush to make a great throw for a first down that brown dropped. Drops happen but to call out Allen's first 2 bad throws and not mention his great 3rd throw is an example of the often biased discussions of his performance on TBD.

And to call the missed throw to Singleterry an "easy throw" is just plain wrong IMO.  Allen was running for his life.  Under that level of pressure there are no easy throws.  And as others have mentioned Allen may have been thinking that Singleterry was going to run to the end zone there. 

He has to be more accurate, and while those other two deep throws were on the money, both receivers were well covered. He missed the open guy. I love Allen, but last night was not a good night for him. It's the worst he as played in a while, at least with regard to throwing. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

He has to be more accurate, and while those other two deep throws were on the money, both receivers were well covered. He missed the open guy. I love Allen, but last night was not a good night for him. It's the worst he as played in a while, at least with regard to throwing. 

Fair enough. 

The Diggs throw though should have been a TD and it would have been on every Allen season highlight film.  That ball dropped right into Diggs hands over the DB and he got both knees down at the back of the end zone. That throw and the accurate toss to Brown off the flea flicker were passes that Allen could not make in 2018 and 2019. 

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

He had way too many inaccurate throws last night. Two bad ones to start off, a bad missed TD pass on the opening drive, and a brutal drive killer to Beasley on their first drive in the third (and man, he has to play better in the third quarter). I know you said the one that should have gone to Singletary was a smart throwaway because he would have taken a sack in the past, but ... Singletary was wide open and it was a pretty easy throw. I expect he'll play a lot better against the Jets.

I can't argue with the point that Josh had inaccurate throws, and while there were drops, ball placement may have contributed.

My point to the post I was responding to is that "I just want to see some accurate throws and hitting receivers in stride" isn't really what we (or he) wants to see.  There were some excellent throws last night.  It's not enough.  We want to see better accuracy across the board and better completion percentage from the start, and no "unforced errors" where he has time and an open receiver and misses the throw

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I suspect a good part of this is due to the 10 - 1 record of our opponents the last 2 weeks and to the possibility that the NFL has learned we can't run the football and our TE's represent no viable threat downfield. Especially when Knox is out.

Last night BOTH defensive schemes and the weather largely took out the high octane passing attacks of both teams. So that means you better be able to lean on your running game and short passing attack. Last night when you look at the production for our RB/TE's versus the Chiefs a disturbing pattern develops:

Chiefs RB production =  35 carries for 204 yards & 1 TD

Bills RB production = 15 carries for 42yards

Chiefs TE & RB receiving production = 11 catches for 90 yards & 2 TD's

Bills TE & RB receiving production = 2 catches for 20 yards

Total production for the Chiefs = 46 touches for 294 yards& 3 TD's

Total production for the Bills = 17 touches for 62 yards & no TD's

You can blame this lack of production on Allen if you want and some will.  But I prefer to believe my lying eyes which tell me we don't have the horses at RB or TE to do what KC did last night.

I agree it's not all on Allen, but he missed few easy completions.  There was one play on third down Beasley has the CB beat by a step or two but Allen threw it low and ahead of him. First couple throws to start the game not sure what happened there. Those first two throws should have been practiced during the week.  Mahomes was lot more efficient compared to Allen when the game was on the line. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsherd said:

I agree it's not all on Allen, but he missed few easy completions.  There was one play on third down Beasley has the CB beat by a step or two but Allen threw it low and ahead of him. First couple throws to start the game not sure what happened there. Those first two throws should have been practiced during the week.  Mahomes was lot more efficient compared to Allen when the game was on the line. 

As in a lot of games....there were a handful of plays that turned the game.  In this case, they weren't interceptions, they were throws that were poor or dropped.

I wonder if the Bills practice with water-soaked footballs during the week, when we're going to be playing in wet weather?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, billsherd said:

But Mahomes also missed some easy passes last night. Twice he badly missed a wide open Kelce that would have gone for huge yardage and maybe even a TD on the 2nd miss. The first one was over Kelsey's head and on the 2nd one Kelsey made a spectacular catch.  Mahomes also threw a ball that should have been picked by Norman and his fumble to kick off the 3rd quarter should have been recovered by the Bills.  The damn ball sat on the ground for 5 seconds as the Bill's D-linemen danced with the KC blockers.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you just want to see "some accurate throws" what was wrong with the ones he made last night?

I probably wasn't sufficiently clear.  If a player is at risk of worse injury or is still seriously hampered, Sit Him.

But don't sit an injured player who can go because "it's only the jets" and "we need them more for NE".

If that's what we did re: Tenn it bit us on the buttocks, Hard.

Of course what "still seriously hampered" means is a judgement call

This 100%.  I wouldn't at all be shocked to find out McDermott sat a few players that probably could've well played vs Tennessee but he, along with 97% of the population thought we would cruise past Tennessee with an easy W....Let me say I have no clue as to the extent of any of our players injuries, I was simply speculating.  

If they're healthy enough to go suit up.  We need all hands on deck.  I do think we'll win this, but no sense at all in sitting someone because its a game we THINK should be a W.   "It's hard to win in the NFL."

Edited by smuvtalker

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

He was very accurate in the first 5 games at all levels of the field so I have to think the shoulder injury is affecting him. I don't know how else to explain such a severe regression. I'm worried it will linger and this is just who he'll be the rest of the season but I don't know enough about AC joint sprains to say for sure.

8 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

But Mahomes also missed some easy passes last night. Twice he badly missed a wide open Kelce that would have gone for huge yardage and maybe even a TD on the 2nd miss. The first one was over Kelsey's head and on the 2nd one Kelsey made a spectacular catch.  Mahomes also threw a ball that should have been picked by Norman and his fumble to kick off the 3rd quarter should have been recovered by the Bills.  The damn ball sat on the ground for 5 seconds as the Bill's D-linemen danced with the KC blockers.

And again - if we recover that fumble, if Kelce misses that catch, etc - different ball game.

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He was very accurate in the first 5 games at all levels of the field so I have to think the shoulder injury is affecting him. I don't know how else to explain such a severe regression. I'm worried it will linger and this is just who he'll be the rest of the season but I don't know enough about AC joint sprains to say for sure.

I believe the shoulder is affecting him also.  It appeared he was favoring the L arm from time to time - hooking the L hand into the handwarmer not in "I need to stay warm fashion" but "I need support", not lifting the L arm.  I think I saw a coach approach him on the bench after that series and Allen shook his head vehemently - I wondered at the time if he was asked if he needed to come out.

But I think the bigger issue with the fall-off in technique is 1) he's been made to feel more pressure the last 2 weeks 2) he's been using more brain-cycles to decode the zone defense and see who is open.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And again - if we recover that fumble, if Kelce misses that catch, etc.

In a weird way that's why I'm not as down after these last 2 losses as I thought I would be. I understand that coulda, woulda, shoulda is ultimately a losing game.  But in previous years you really couldn't say with a straight face that had a couple of things bounced differently the result would have been different. The Bills mostly sucked over the last 2 decades.

I takes a good team to be in games where 2 or 3 different bounces of the ball would have made all the difference in the outcome.