Josh Allen observation

ShakAttack

Just now, Mango said:

It is an interesting thought though. I “feel” like when Allen starts rough he rarely gets into a groove. But unsure if it fits in the “real” category. 

If this were peak pandemic and I wasn’t getting ruined at work I would go back and check out first 5, 10, series passes and see what the W/L or overall stat line is. Too bad I am so far away from retirement or this is how I would spend my days. Haha

What I "feel" is that Allen often starts rough, especially in big games, then calms down and settles in.  Some of them we win, some of them we lose, but I can't necessarily predict the outcome from the first series.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

If you are right and Allen is half way between his first 4 games and the last 2 then he is a top 10 QB.

If accuracy was such a fixed constant then how could Allen be over 70% through his first 4 games?  And he was at or near the top of the NFL in average yards per attempt while doing that.  I could buy a hopelessly inaccurate QB getting lucky for a game or two but not 4 in a row. And don't forget that the Bills led the NFL in drops through those 4 games.

Last night was a classic weather game that causes a drop in most QB's accuracy.  Mahomes was accurate because he is the best QB in the NFL, faced one of the worst defenses in the NFL and his team has the horses to execute a pounding rushing attack and short passing game.  This last bit requires a dominating TE and RB. We have neither.

If you look at Allen's accuracy it's gotten substantially better his last 17 games versus his first 16 games.  Ditto for the number of TD throws and the reduction in his INT's.  That's a pretty decent sample size.

But the reality is that Allen isn't there yet.  We hoped that he could keep up the pace of the first 4 games.  Obviously that's not going to happen.  But by the end of this year we'll see a QB that has improved greatly from last year.

Next year is the year the Bills make their move.  The goal for this year is to have the young guys keep improving and to win the division.  Anything more is icing on the cake.

Fair post. I disagree with our goal is to win the division and anything else is icing on the cake. Prior to the start of the season I expected the Bills to win the division. On paper, we have the best team. Last year we made a nice playoff run and just fell short. Making the playoffs and losing the first game is not progress to me. Making a deep playoff run should be our expectation. One and done isn't progress. 

Edited by newcam2012

9 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

says who. Allen didn’t show anything last night that he was up for a game winning drive. I’m not hating on him just pointing out that Mahomes was the significantly better QB last night and Allen had another disappointing game vs a top team 

He would have had the ball inside their 40 with 5 minutes left I like my chances and let’s face it if Allen isn’t John Elway out there this offense has no other way to beat an opponent since we don’t have a running game like at all 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat