Josh Allen observation

ShakAttack

18 minutes ago, FUTURIST said:

Allen has not melted down.  You can say he has not been consistent, but he has not melted down.  He has gone from exceptional play to average play.  The Titans and Chiefs are 2 of the top 4 teams in the NFL.  One game he was missing his #2 receiver and the other game it was pouring rain. Even Mahomes struggled.

Chiefs should cut him too

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Chiefs should cut him too

Mahomes missed a few easy plays.  One of them was an easy TD.  It was pouring rain.  It was much worse than it looked on TV.

Edited by FUTURIST
  • Like (+1) 1

Have to wonder if his non throwing shoulder being hurt is messing up his mechanics because he seemed to be winging it more.   When he was on before the injury to his left shoulder, he really had that spoon-to-mouth motion with left arm.  If that is hindered, perhaps that could be a reason for his poor mechanics.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

Seems like he misses more of the “easy” throws against better teams, which can include teams like KC that do not necessarily have a “good” defense. He plays a lot more cool and confident in games we are expected to win. Same thing with the fourth quarter comebacks. He’s got several to his credit, but they have always been in situations where we were the better team throughout the game, but let the game get away from us (3rd quarter, as always) and Allen had to bring us back. 

but I am still waiting for that comeback against a top tier opponent. 

baltimore... New England... Texans (playoffs)... chiefs today... in all those games against playoff teams we just needed a late drive and couldn’t get it. 

I thought he may have turned the corner against the Rams, but after taking a couple steps back, here we are again. Not to mention, the Rams are not on the same level as the other teams mentioned. It’s kind of like the question of who did we actually beat last year, when someone answers “Well, Dallas.....” ehh.. not really. If we are being honest with ourselves. 

now I will say in his defense, he never really had the chance to put together the game winning drive for us today. Still bummed that their RB’s knee was Indeed down after our TD when it looked like we had recovered a fumble. I would have liked to see how Allen would have finished the game in that scenario, but I guess we will have to keep waiting.

with all the quality opponents left on our schedule, if we do not see Allen bring the team back against a genuine playoff caliber opponent at SOME point this season, i would be a little disappointed.

until we see him put together an improbable comeback against a contender like Mahomes and Wilson have done repeatedly, he does not deserve to be in that conversation. 

he delivered on the late drive  Defense promptly let them march right down the field 80 yards to seal it with the fg

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

What?

First off, his very first third down throw was a dart for a first down that Brown dropped.

Secondly, he lead consecutive scoring drives to put the team ahead 10-7, so it isn’t exactly as though he crumbled and went to 💩

He started slow for sure, but by the 2nd quarter he was fine. He started 2/8 and finished 12 of his last 19, which included a few bad drops (as per usual).

And each time Brown was targeted he would come up gimpy. Makes me think he was probably better off missing the game. 

Side note... it's still mind boggling that, no matter the opponent, we are still a trainwreck in the 3rd quarter. I'm still waiting for the day we can either use the 3rd quarter to seal the victory with a big lead or shift momentum in a game where we are trying to turn it around after a poor first half. It is indeed concerning that we are a terrible third quarter team because it reflects on coaching and half-time adjustments. Although sometimes it has also been poor execution.

The one exception is the Raider game. I believe we came out of the half with a TD, but defense had a complete meltdown and nearly let LV take the lead, only to turn it on in the 4th quarter with a couple of huge turnovers (which almost happened yesterday too and - who knows - if the RB's knee isn't down before that ball starts coming out, perhaps the momentum shifts to Buffalo and never turns back? Doesn't matter now, but football is funny like that.)

8 hours ago, PaoloBillsFanFromItaly said:

I think it is a problem of fundamentals, against the Chiefs his throws were "all arm", it was very ugly to see.

I know only a QB that could make these ugly throws work and his name is Brett Favre.

The strange thing is that I think he moves very well in the pocket, he avoides sacks and recognizes pressure, but when it's time to throw the body is simply not set.

I don't know what caused this regression, maybe is the injured shoulder, but in my opinion he has to get back to the fundamentals.

It's pressure mostly, I think.  This is why it's very hard for a pro athlete to change their technique.  They can be perfect in practice, but under pressure it's easy to revert.

I also think Allen gets too pumped up still before big games.  Then I'm sure he got the "hose" for his INTs and near INTS vs Tennessee, and I think that contributes - I think he's so concerned about getting picked that he leads his guys too much and overthrows.

I don't think the injured shoulder helps, but he was able to throw some darts for TDs  when he needed to.

• Like (+1) 1

Josh made a number of tremendous plays against the Titans, converting on 3rd and long. 

Not his fault the D can't stop anyone on 3rd down or our Running game isn't as good as Titans/Chiefs.  

Not his fault Smoke dropped a pass on the 1st drive of the game.

You can't expect the QB to win the game on his own every week.

My only solution is to ask Josh to also play Linebacker !

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

So he’s good when there is no pressure.  And, when there is maximum pressure, he’s also good.  But he’s bad when there is significant but less than maximum pressure. That sounds ridiculous and yet supported by the evidence. 

Part of learning to win is learning how to bring the best out of yourself and out of your team for a full 60 minutes. It's a learning process. As Josh continues to learn, he's going to develop the mental side of his game and create ways to put himself in the right mindset all game long. I think fans need to stop reacting as if players as robots with pre-existing programming that determines their success. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, colin said:

so allen kind blew last night, but mahomes was nothing special either.  mahomes had a couple ducks absolutely rescued, the one catch on that drive leading to the FG (where kelce caught an almost hit the ground ball) would have looked really different if the refs called it an incomplete on the field, and if josh threw a pass that far behind it would have gotten some real groans here (myself included, i get all spazzy too).  the weather and the turf (i don't think we have fixed the slippery turf) was not helping footing at all.  

my 6 year old daughter who just started cheer last night, after i told her the bills played really well to start but bad the past 2 games, said maybe they had spirit but don't have it right now, and they need to get it back.  it was a silly cute thing, but honestly, there is some goofy truth to that.  our team either kinda all puts it together or all falls apart.  we don't tend to have the spark plays that get the ship righted enough.  i think that's a function of a lack of confidence and a lack of leadership.  i get the feeling that the players are not trusting the process.  on D especially.

what lol

mahomes went 21/26, he was very accurate in the same conditions Allen was playing in 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

You put into words exactly what I've been most frustrated with and kept me away from being sold on Allen for so long. 

It's like he reads the boards, watches all the talk around "big" games, then flounders when the moment comes. Against teams we are expected to beat, he goes out and has fun. 

And yeah, only 4th quarter comebacks are from games we already had been winning, yet let slip away from doing nothing in the 3rd/ most of the 4th. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, 78thealltimegreat said:

And yet if that fumble goes the other way chances are Josh is ahead 24-23 when he leaves the field for the final time 

says who. Allen didn’t show anything last night that he was up for a game winning drive. I’m not hating on him just pointing out that Mahomes was the significantly better QB last night and Allen had another disappointing game vs a top team 

• Thank you (+1) 1

They were highlighting some of Josh's inaccuracies on this morning's national sports talk shows. Ooof. Some of those misses on easy throws were brutal.  He went from being the darling of the national media to getting made fun of.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Penfield45 said:

says who. Allen didn’t show anything last night that he was up for a game winning drive. I’m not hating on him just pointing out that Mahomes was the significantly better QB last night and Allen had another disappointing game vs a top team 

He led a good drive previously and is historically lights out in the red zone.

I totally agree with the OP.  

It seems bizarre, but you can almost see it in his face and eyes when he's nervous.

Its the same look he had in the 2nd half of the Texans playoff game.  He just looks downright scared/nervous.

He had that look last night for the entire game, its troubling.

I mentioned after the playoff loss that the team would be smart to have him get with somebody to figure out the nerves because it 100% affects his play.  The bigger the game, the bigger the stage the more likely it is that Allen just plays like garbage.  Its no coincidence that these last 2 night games hes looked absolutely awful.  The first 4 games had me thinking maybe he'd turned the corner, but now I'm right back to thinking its a huge problem.

5 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Rams and Raiders don’t count?

Idk when it was made, but I guess not. In my opinion the Rams are a bad team. They have 4 wins and those are all against the NFC East, the worst division in football. Oakland was a good win though.