Josh Allen observation

ShakAttack

Seems like he misses more of the “easy” throws against better teams, which can include teams like KC that do not necessarily have a “good” defense. He plays a lot more cool and confident in games we are expected to win. Same thing with the fourth quarter comebacks. He’s got several to his credit, but they have always been in situations where we were the better team throughout the game, but let the game get away from us (3rd quarter, as always) and Allen had to bring us back. 

but I am still waiting for that comeback against a top tier opponent. 

baltimore... New England... Texans (playoffs)... chiefs today... in all those games against playoff teams we just needed a late drive and couldn’t get it. 

I thought he may have turned the corner against the Rams, but after taking a couple steps back, here we are again. Not to mention, the Rams are not on the same level as the other teams mentioned. It’s kind of like the question of who did we actually beat last year, when someone answers “Well, Dallas.....” ehh.. not really. If we are being honest with ourselves. 

now I will say in his defense, he never really had the chance to put together the game winning drive for us today. Still bummed that their RB’s knee was Indeed down after our TD when it looked like we had recovered a fumble. I would have liked to see how Allen would have finished the game in that scenario, but I guess we will have to keep waiting.

with all the quality opponents left on our schedule, if we do not see Allen bring the team back against a genuine playoff caliber opponent at SOME point this season, i would be a little disappointed.

until we see him put together an improbable comeback against a contender like Mahomes and Wilson have done repeatedly, he does not deserve to be in that conversation. 

Edited by BobBelcher
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

until we see him put together an improbable comeback against a contender like Mahomes and Wilson have done repeatedly, he does not deserve to be in that conversation. 

I don't think anyone is putting him in that conversation. I mean sure he was in the MVP conversation through 4 weeks but as for in that competition with the 2 best Quarterbacks in the league? Not sure anyone put him there. 

• Like (+1) 2

I think he just plays more cool and confident if we get a nice lead early. He still has mishaps late in game honestly even tho we started 4 and 0 some of those games got a bit close at the end (all of them did).

I am terrified for this football team. When the high pressure stations arive Allen is big time boom or bust. 

Edited by BillsFan692

5 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

I think he just plays more cool and confident if we get a nice lead early. He still has mishaps late in game honestly even tho we started 4 and 0 some of those games got a bit close at the end (all of them did).

I am terrified for this football team. When the high pressure stations arive Allen is big time boom or bust. 

very true. Team seems to be quite dependent on building the early lead, but I’ve yet to see us come back in a game where we really fall behind from the start. You don’t really see him snap out of a funk. If that’s how he starts the game, he usually ends up being wildly inconsistent throughout. I’ll still give him the benefit of the doubt because he has shown incredible growth overall since his rookie years, but he will have to get himself back on track very soon otherwise the “I will learn from this” quotes will get old very fast. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

I think it is a problem of fundamentals, against the Chiefs his throws were "all arm", it was very ugly to see.

I know only a QB that could make these ugly throws work and his name is Brett Favre.

The strange thing is that I think he moves very well in the pocket, he avoides sacks and recognizes pressure, but when it's time to throw the body is simply not set.

I don't know what caused this regression, maybe is the injured shoulder, but in my opinion he has to get back to the fundamentals.

We got a late drive yesterday. Then our D gave up a back breaking 65 yard clock grinding FG drive that clinched the game. Allen had 4 second half drives? One in garbage time?

He was a bit off but dropped the bombs perfectly. One was dropped the other a stellar pass break up. I think the Singletary misfire was a route confusion. Watch it again and Josh thinks he's breaking up field into space. 

Unless Josh can play defensive line and get himself 14 more minutes of possession, he's not in my worry list. 

Two Bills losses vs teams a combined 10-1. Get back to work. 

Edited by shoshin
  • Like (+1) 7

He never should have been in that conversation in the first place after 4 games.   who put him there?  the media.  And many on this board fell for it.   They're just creating content for football shows.  

Just go beat the Jets on Sunday.   Chiefs and Titans are loaded and the best of the AFC.   We'll see them later.   Now go win a couple football games against Division opponents.  It's a long season.   We are only a few games in. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

The thing is - QBs don't play against QBs, they play against DEFENSES. 

I would say the Mahomes had an advantage as he only had to beat the western NY girl scouts. 😉🤪

so allen kind blew last night, but mahomes was nothing special either.  mahomes had a couple ducks absolutely rescued, the one catch on that drive leading to the FG (where kelce caught an almost hit the ground ball) would have looked really different if the refs called it an incomplete on the field, and if josh threw a pass that far behind it would have gotten some real groans here (myself included, i get all spazzy too).  the weather and the turf (i don't think we have fixed the slippery turf) was not helping footing at all.  

my 6 year old daughter who just started cheer last night, after i told her the bills played really well to start but bad the past 2 games, said maybe they had spirit but don't have it right now, and they need to get it back.  it was a silly cute thing, but honestly, there is some goofy truth to that.  our team either kinda all puts it together or all falls apart.  we don't tend to have the spark plays that get the ship righted enough.  i think that's a function of a lack of confidence and a lack of leadership.  i get the feeling that the players are not trusting the process.  on D especially.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

If he starts the first drive without a completion he turns to crap the rest of the game which is sad. When he started 0-4 I knew we were losing 

What?

First off, his very first third down throw was a dart for a first down that Brown dropped.

Secondly, he lead consecutive scoring drives to put the team ahead 10-7, so it isn’t exactly as though he crumbled and went to 💩

He started slow for sure, but by the 2nd quarter he was fine. He started 2/8 and finished 12 of his last 19, which included a few bad drops (as per usual).

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

He never should have been in that conversation in the first place after 4 games.   who put him there?  the media.  And many on this board fell for it.   They're just creating content for football shows.  

Just go beat the Jets on Sunday.   Chiefs and Titans are loaded and the best of the AFC.   We'll see them later.   Now go win a couple football games against Division opponents.  It's a long season.   We are only a few games in. 

If we go 2-0 the next two weeks, we'll have a stranglehold on the division.  Losing the last two weeks sucks, but these next couple of games are more important.

5 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

The Titans & Chiefs blitzed him like crazy. That's the recipe to rattle Josh. Daboll doesn't have enough emergency hot reeds ready. That opening drive yesterday was God awful for him. The problem with Josh is consistently. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

Rodgers has proven himself in big games many times over. Allen has yet to prove he can remain consistent, let alone not melt down in important games.

Allen has not melted down.  You can say he has not been consistent, but he has not melted down.  He has gone from exceptional play to average play.  The Titans and Chiefs are 2 of the top 4 teams in the NFL.  One game he was missing his #2 receiver and the other game it was pouring rain. Even Mahomes struggled.

9 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That opening drive yesterday was God awful for him. 

This is the kind of hyperbole that makes this board hard to take following a loss.  Allen's first two throws were off, but within the parameters of what's normal.  He threw a perfect pass to convert on third down, but Brown dropped it.  Obviously that's a lousy opening drive, but the QB didn't do anything terribly wrong, and he's not the one whose mistake ended the drive.

Other QBs occasionally miss an open receiver and it's no big deal.  Allen throws the exact same pass and it's the worst pass in the history of the modern NFL.  The lack of any kind of perspective gets tiresome after a while.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BillsFanSD said:

This is the kind of hyperbole that makes this board hard to take following a loss.  Allen's first two throws were off, but within the parameters of what's normal.  He threw a perfect pass to convert on third down, but Brown dropped it.  Obviously that's a lousy opening drive, but the QB didn't do anything terribly wrong, and he's not the one whose mistake ended the drive.

Other QBs occasionally miss an open receiver and it's no big deal.  Allen throws the exact same pass and it's the worst pass in the history of the modern NFL.  The lack of any kind of perspective gets tiresome after a while.

Right? If this is what constitutes “meltdown” and “God awful” we’re in terrific shape at QB.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1