Available Defensive Options

So the D has not lived up to many people’s expectations, I think there have been injuries that have had a large impact. With the Jets coming up I’m hoping folks can get healthy but also think there are some very solid options available as current free agents that could potentially make an impact, and would have a week to get through COVID protocol and get up to speed.

Targets

Snacks Harrison - Seattle Practice Squad.
DT who can stop the run and occupy blockers and free things up for Oliver who I believe has suffered without Star.

David Irving - Free Agent DE

Fresh off reinstatement he creates QB pressures and is more than a smaller speed rusher. At 280 he can set the edge as well and can win 1:1 matchups.

Other Names to investigate

Vontez Burfict - Free Agent LB

Tackling machine that’s can fit in certain packages and on run downs.

Mychel Kendricks - Free Agent LB

not sure what he has left but worth a visit in my opinion.

22 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

We seriously need some help and depth on defense. I think Zimmer needs more rotation time.

Make a trade for Fletcher Cox, Philly is trash.

Philly is going to win their division.

Fletcher Cox is an awesome player, though probably not realistic.

31 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

We seriously need some help and depth on defense. I think Zimmer needs more rotation time.

Make a trade for Fletcher Cox, Philly is trash.

If the Eagles were winless, then I could see that happening.

But they can win the NFC East, so Cox isn't going anywhere.

With the Covid risk of losing players, I think rosters are going to be pretty much what they are at this point; moreso than any other season.  If I was a GM, I would be hanging onto to the players I know who are testing negative consistently.   Getting through the season is very important and will be more important as the weather changes and risk of positive tests go up.   

Bills are having the injury issues they did not have last year.   And they are playing a schedule with a lot more good/great QBs, so this will be as rough as many predicted.  No 12-4 this year.   going 6-4 and winning 10 this year will be a major accomplishment.   Frankly, I think 9-7 wins the Division, given the tough schedule for the AFC East.   Hell, we haven't even played Seattle (loss), SanFran (?) , Arizona (no way this D contains Murray) ... the path to the Division leads straight through the Pats.   Need to win both of those.  

The Bills don't have the cap space to make significant moves for veteran players.

What they really need are the young guys we drafted (Tremaine Edmunds, Harrison Phillips, Ed Oliver) to start being difference makers, instead of massive liabilities.  The same goes for Cody Ford on the offensive side.

Consistently good teams like the Patriots and Steelers are able to lose players due to injury and Free Agency, and keep on rolling, because they draft well and the guys on the bench always step up when called upon.  I'm becoming increasingly concerned about the long-term outlook for many of our top draft picks, which is not a good look for the future.

7 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I would love to see the Bills offer up a 2nd round pick for Yannick. Yannick is on a one year deal on a bad Vikings team. Overall I would rather try and get him to help out the pass rush and bring in Snacks to help with the run defense. 

I’d rather look into David Irving first without giving up picks.

Edited by iccrewman112

Again, we have $3.3 mill under the cap. And $1.2 mill next year. 

This isn't a good spot for a trade unless we happen to find one that's really cheap. And those aren't generally the guys people want to trade away, unless they suck. I wouldn't expect any big moves. Small one, maybe.

Edited by Thurman#1