Sean McDermott press conference

TwistofFate

I'm ok with the game plan going into the game on the Defensive side of the football. Making halftime adjustments and the proper adjustments on the fly I think is a major part of the scheming/ coaching equation that needs to be rectified IMO.

Something I think Gu was kind enough to bring to the boards attention recently on the Bills 3rd quarter woes this season. I suppose one of the problems today as far as halftime adjustments is the strategy appeared to be working on the scoreboard.

Ugly game. On the bright side I think If Buffalo is able to get the D back on track I really don't believe we showed the Titans or KC what the Bills are really capable of in my humble opinion. We have seen this kind of meltdown before on D and McD has always managed to right the ship. I'm not sure McD and Frazier are on the same page right now.

If all goes well hopefully we will  get another crack at these guys post season IMO.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Mostly I agree with this.  But Josh and the offense need to get the ball for longer than a single 3-and-out (2:42 total) in the 3Q.  We didn't have "back to back punts" in the 3Q.  We had 1 punt, and that's the last time we saw the ball until the 4Q.

Part of that TOP is on the offense. Would be great if the D gave it back to them, but they didn’t. The staff was trying to get Josh going and he just couldn’t tonight. The 2 punts that @billsfan89 are s thinking of is because they punted like 30 seconds into the 4th...after absolutely dodging a bullet with an Offside call after not converting a 4th and 1. We would have lost the game right there if not for that flag. 

The way I look at this game when trying to figure out what went wrong is two things. 

1. How often will scoring 17 points beat Mahomes and the KC Chiefs? 

-Literally never. At least not to date. Mahomes has only score less than 20 points once in his NFL career. That was 2019 against the Colts. 

2. Which NFL defense can hold Mahomes to 16 points? 

- To date,  mone of them. And right now, nobody in the NFL is playing strong enough defense that I would put any money on it in 2020. 

So if no team has held Mahomes to 16, and scoring 17 is never good enough, why are we putting so much blame on a defense that kept us in the game most of the night? 

Don’t get me wrong the defense has been down right terrible this year. I am concerned. But they would have needed a relatively historical night to make up for the offense. Something they haven’t proven capable of in a while. 

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Part of that TOP is on the offense. Would be great if the D gave it back to them, but they didn’t. The staff was trying to get Josh going and he just couldn’t tonight. The 2 punts that @billsfan89 are s thinking of is because they punted like 30 seconds into the 4th...after absolutely dodging a bullet with an Offside call after not converting a 4th and 1. We would have lost the game right there if not for that flag. 

The way I look at this game when trying to figure out what went wrong is two things. 

-Literally never. At least not to date. Mahomes has only score less than 20 points once in his NFL career. That was 2019 against the Colts. 

- To date,  mone of them. And right now, nobody in the NFL is playing strong enough defense that I would put any money on it in 2020. 

So if no team has held Mahomes to 16, and scoring 17 is never good enough, why are we putting so much blame on a defense that kept us in the game most of the night? 

Don’t get me wrong the defense has been down right terrible this year. I am concerned. But they would have needed a relatively historical night to make up for the offense. Something they haven’t proven capable of in a while. 

The defense just looked like they got dominated despite the 26 points not being tragic. Honestly I think the defense can get it in gear if they add a big run stuffing DT and get Milano and Levi back. I think they also need a big time DE but that's unlikely to happen. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Mango said:

Actually I feel like just the one forced fumble that was reversed and take away the stupid sidelines BS on two plays it might have been enough IMO. So when it comes right down to it the Buffalo Bills almost beat KC in its worst game of the season.

Myself personally, regardless of what Terry Bradshaw and Troy Aikman have to say I'm not worried about Josh Allen and the O provided the Oline continues to do its job in pass protection.

Bradshaw can kiss my you know what...

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

We have talent galore

We lack physicality and size at the point of attack

White, Hyde, Poyer, and Milano.  Where else is the talent on D?  Hughes got old fast. Edmunds is a bust or he is really more hurt than we know.  Oliver is not a bust yet but he is not getting better.  

But you are spot on that they lack physicality and size too.  I don't care what the roster lists for height/weight, they just look smaller than comparable defenses in the league.  

43 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

We have talent galore

We lack physicality and size at the point of attack

I think this is a very important observation.  Getting blown off the line of scrimmage regardless of whats behind it is not going to end well when you have a back like Derrick Henry coming at you with a full head of steam.

Locomotive breath...

4 minutes ago, Figster said:

I think this is a very important observation.  Getting blown off the line of scrimmage regardless of whats behind it is not going to end well when you have a back like Derrick Henry coming at you with a full head of steam.

Locomotive breath...

War Memorial Aud with mini trampolines

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Figster said:

Locomotive breath...

It goes for the offensive line too

We are built for finesse and speed at this point. The playcalling on both sides of the ball needs to reflect it or we will continue seeing these schizophrenic performances.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Complementary football to me means having a gameplan on both sides of the ball that support each other

If the defense is selling out to stop the pass and trading rushing yards/TOP for points, the offense needs to be able to score and sustain drives

IMO the defense did what they were asked to do, the offense did not hold up their end of the bargain. 

Completely agree. The defensive gameplan was not pretty to watch but it did get Mahomes off the field scoreless 3 of the first 6 times he possessed the ball and hold one of the best offenses in the league to 26.

The offense did not come to play. Didn't love the gameplan, it was the oline's worst pass blocking day, our running backs his the hole about as fast as a teenager gets out of bed, Diggs apart we seemed to struggle for separation and it was Josh's worst game of the year. All that added together made for a disappointing night. 17 points is NOT getting it done against Kansas City. 

8 hours ago, Warcodered said:

I mean to be fair we were a stop away on that last FG drive from having a real shot at this game.

It's a game of inches. If that ball comes out a quarter of a second earlier, before his knee touches the ground, we have the ball at the 30, down 6 with a shot to take the lead, after Josh had just run us down the field to score.

Here was Daboll’s play calling during the critical 3Q possession, down 20-10:

2 Yard Run

(1:18) Z.Moss right tackle to BUF 27 for 2 yards (D.Wilson).

1st & 10 at BUF 25

7 Yard Pass

(:43) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short right to T.Kroft to BUF 34 for 7 yards (C.Ward).

2nd & 8 at BUF 27

Run for No Gain

(15:00) Z.Moss up the middle to BUF 34 for no gain (A.Hitchens, D.Wilson).

3rd & 1 at BUF 34

I would add that the first down run was out of I-formation.  Needing to get his offense on track in the second half, and after a halftime break to make “adjustments,” Brian “the Brain” Daboll thought it would be a good idea to run out of a formation that the Bills don’t do well in, handing to a rookie who has shown a complete inability to make plays.  The next play was a short completion to a slow-footed tight end, followed by another inept handoff to “Skates” Moss (who sucks, by the way).

Brian Daboll is bad at his job.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Mango said:

It actually sounds like they thought the offense would be at least competent. If we could have gotten Allen’s production vs. the Titans in this game, it would have been a lopsided victory. 

The goal sounds like it was to keep it under 30.

You mean 2 TD, 2 int.  16 points?

His "production" was a byproduct of a TOP (38 to 22 min) so lopsided because this Defensive "game plan" allowed for the D to not get off the field.

8 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

But that's the thing. The defense couldn't stop the Chiefs when it mattered and did anyone really think Mahomes and the Chiefs offense werent at least getting into FG range?

As Aikman said twice, Kelce would've had a TD if not for a throw behind him on a broken coverage.

It was a chicken ***** game plan.

I found this comment funny by aikman, it was an incredible throw that mahomes only makes. He made it sound as if mahomes screwed the throw up. 

To the rest of your comment, I didn't mind the game plan for the most part. The defensive line needs to be better. If you are gonna play this style vs them you need to average under 5 yards a carry

My biggest issue would have been 3rd and longs and on first downs. They never seemed to throw a blitz or even run blitz all game. They made it too easy

7 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Complementary football to me means having a gameplan on both sides of the ball that support each other

If the defense is selling out to stop the pass and trading rushing yards/TOP for points, the offense needs to be able to score and sustain drives

IMO the defense did what they were asked to do, the offense did not hold up their end of the bargain. 

Well, you’re entitled to your opinion but if you’re correct, then “what the D was asked to do” was bizarro world.

I think it’s clear from McD’s presser that while you’re correct about the overall design, McD considered the execution severely lacking

But if the Bills take your finger-pointy “did my job man” approach it’s gonna be a long season lacking the Dubs

15 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Obviously the Chefs didn't like getting their asses kicked the week before.

We shouldn’t have liked it either

43 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Here was Daboll’s play calling during the critical 3Q possession, down 20-10:

2 Yard Run

(1:18) Z.Moss right tackle to BUF 27 for 2 yards (D.Wilson).

1st & 10 at BUF 25

7 Yard Pass

(:43) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass short right to T.Kroft to BUF 34 for 7 yards (C.Ward).

2nd & 8 at BUF 27

Run for No Gain

(15:00) Z.Moss up the middle to BUF 34 for no gain (A.Hitchens, D.Wilson).

3rd & 1 at BUF 34

I would add that the first down run was out of I-formation.  Needing to get his offense on track in the second half, and after a halftime break to make “adjustments,” Brian “the Brain” Daboll thought it would be a good idea to run out of a formation that the Bills don’t do well in, handing to a rookie who has shown a complete inability to make plays.  The next play was a short completion to a slow-footed tight end, followed by another inept handoff to “Skates” Moss (who sucks, by the way).

Brian Daboll is bad at his job.

totally..

dabo is back on his bullsheet.  up the gut runs w our slowest to the hole RB (39 year old frank gore in rookie form, what a great pick up that was!) are simply wasted plays.  the best we can hope for is 3 yards, and since we run them out of a formation we are not effective passing from, when we run play action (and we did) it really doesn't do jack.,

we had the flea flicker that came close to getting a deep TD, and the one other shot to the end zone where they threw a flag but picked it up (the kc d was mugging us all night, coulda been more laundry but it wasn't).  

aside from Dabo simply not putting good structure into the O (he calls the odd funky play that works, but the bread and butter is lacking) we can't run block, have zilch for TE or RB passing threat.  this means that unless we have at least 3 and more likely 4 wrs out there (which was effective early in the year, so we stopped it) the game of rock paper scissors just plainly favors the d.  weak sauce

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BillsCuse said:

KCs o-line dominated our d-line in the run game.  The secondary was getting manhandled with down field blocking as well.  Scheme and coaching could have been better, but our defense got beat up all game by blocking.  Was tough to watch

I'm surprised it took 3 pages for someone to mention this.  Regardless if you don't stack the box, it doesn't mean it's OK for the guys who ARE near the ball to consistently lose 1-1 matchups, get blown backwards in the trenches, completely lack execution on tackling fundamentals, and generally just look completely lost/dominated.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, you’re entitled to your opinion but if you’re correct, then “what the D was asked to do” was bizarro world.

I think it’s clear from McD’s presser that while you’re correct about the overall design, McD considered the execution severely lacking

But if the Bills take your finger-pointy “did my job man” approach it’s gonna be a long season lacking the Dubs

We shouldn’t have liked it either

Probably didn't but trying to take it out on the reigning SB Champs is a long shot.

I almost feel sorry for the Jets as they will get it bad after 2 frustrating weeks for the Bills.