Sean McDermott press conference

TwistofFate

It was a fine strategy. This was one of the best offenses in football. The Bills offense needed to score more points, plain and simple.

It was a bend but don't break strategy. They let Mahomes get too many yards on the ground. They didn't get enough pressure on him. Other than that, I'm fine with the defensive approach, and honestly the results, too.

The offense has to be able to do more. Dropped passes, missed passes by Allen, poor run blocking, and then Allen sealed the defeat with his late turnover.

People can blame the defense if they want, but I think it's unrealistic to hold such a high powered offense to below what we held them to. The Chiefs are going to get their yards and points.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yea, look at the 16 minute mark...he clearly states the numbers don't look good but you "pick your poison," in terms of our defense attacking their offense. 

17 min mark....one stop on defense and we have a chance to maybe make it a different game. 

19:35 mark...you have to pick your poison, they are explosive in the pass game, you take away somewhere and you have to be willing to give up elsewhere.  In the end there, we were in the game. 

They schemed that defensive game plan, they weren't happy with all the yards, but their plan was to keep it close, stop the big plays and have a chance to win in the end. 

22:20 mark...put 9 in the box and go all out to shut down the run game....people have tried it against this team, it hasn't really worked out to be honest with you. 

Edited by TwistofFate
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

Yea, look at the 16 minute mark...he clearly states the numbers don't look good but you "pick your poison," in terms of our defense attacking their offense. 

17 min mark....one stop on defense and we have a chance to maybe make it a different game. 

19:35 mark...you have to pick your poison, they are explosive in the pass game, you take away somewhere and you have to be willing to give up elsewhere.  In the end there, we were in the game. 

They schemed that defensive game plan, they weren't happy with all the yards, but their plan was to keep it close, stop the big plays and have a chance to win in the end. 

22:20 mark...put 9 in the box and go all out to shut down the run game....people have tried it against this team, it hasn't really worked out to be honest with you. 

Those are nice selective quotes, but if your hypothesis is " it seems like we schemed to do exactly what we did", he says a lot of stuff about execution, failure to get stops on 3 and long, failure to contain the QB and so forth, that do not support the idea that what we actually did followed his scheme

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Those are nice selective quotes, but if your hypothesis is " it seems like we schemed to do exactly what we did", he says a lot of stuff about execution, failure to get stops on 3 and long, failure to contain the QB and so forth, that do not support the idea that what we actually did followed his scheme

The defense followed the gameplan they just couldn't execute on several third down attempts in particular that one on the late drive. McD basically was willing to give up time of possession in order to limit the overall possessions of the game and bet on the idea that his offense can put up enough points in limited possessions to win. Back to back punts in Q3 and Bass's miss to end the first half were the killers along with the final KC field goal drive. 

McD is right that they just didn't execute when the defense needed a big play. But in the end 17 points is not going to beat KC. As much as the defense got run over let's be honest if Josh can get a score in Q3 that game is different. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

It was a fine strategy. This was one of the best offenses in football. The Bills offense needed to score more points, plain and simple.

It was a bend but don't break strategy. They let Mahomes get too many yards on the ground. They didn't get enough pressure on him. Other than that, I'm fine with the defensive approach, and honestly the results, too.

The offense has to be able to do more. Dropped passes, missed passes by Allen, poor run blocking, and then Allen sealed the defeat with his late turnover.

People can blame the defense if they want, but I think it's unrealistic to hold such a high powered offense to below what we held them to. The Chiefs are going to get their yards and points.

There's a time element as well.  Yes, there were miscues on offense.  But the offense has to be given some time to score.  So yes, I blame the defense.  They had plenty of chances to end those long grinding drives and give our offense a chance, and they didn't.  Our offense really shouldn't be expected to sustain a long drive every time they get the ball.  We're not going to win if our defense can't get a high powered offense off the field a bit more than they did today.

"Allen sealed the defeat with the late turnover HUH?  Allen's INT occured with 1:11 left in the game, no timeouts, and down by 9 points.   We were defeated at that point.

The game was lost at the point where our defense let KC drive 75 yds down the field and take 4:38 off the clock to kick a FG and take it from 23-17 (1 score) to 26-17.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This game with that game plan was on the offense. It was milk the clock on both sides of the ball. Let KC have long drives that milk the clock and let them score essentially. But the offense needed to also milk the clock and keep up with them. And get it down to the end. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Those are nice selective quotes, but if your hypothesis is " it seems like we schemed to do exactly what we did", he says a lot of stuff about execution, failure to get stops on 3 and long, failure to contain the QB and so forth, that do not support the idea that the game execution followed his plan

Really?  What we allowed them to do was run...he made many mentions of it by stating "pick your poison.". Now I'm not a physicist, but that pretty much sounds to me that they were willing to continue to let them run that way without giving additional help by dropping more in the box. 

Of course we wanted better execution.  Of course we wanted stops.  But they didn't make an effort to stack the box, or run blitz, because that wasn't their scheme. 

I'm not selectively throwing quotes in there to alter what the scheme was, they support what the game plan was and what we were willing to let the Chiefs do. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

The defense followed the gameplan they just couldn't execute on several third down attempts in particular that one on the late drive. McD basically was willing to give up time of possession in order to limit the overall possessions of the game and bet on the idea that his offense can put up enough points in limited possessions to win. Back to back punts in Q3 and Bass's miss to end the first half were the killers along with the final KC field goal drive. 

McD is right that they just didn't execute when the defense needed a big play. But in the end 17 points is not going to beat KC. As much as the defense got run over let's be honest if Josh can get a score in Q3 that game is different. 

Mostly I agree with this.  But Josh and the offense need to get the ball for longer than a single 3-and-out (2:42 total) in the 3Q.  We didn't have "back to back punts" in the 3Q.  We had 1 punt, and that's the last time we saw the ball until the 4Q.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Mostly I agree with this.  But Josh and the offense need to get the ball for longer than a single 3-and-out (2:42 total) in the 3Q.  We didn't have "back to back punts" in the 3Q.  We had 1 punt, and that's the last time we saw the ball until the 4Q.

I could have sworn there were two punts. So odd my memory is that there were two punts in Q3.

27 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There's a time element as well.  Yes, there were miscues on offense.  But the offense has to be given some time to score.  So yes, I blame the defense.  They had plenty of chances to end those long grinding drives and give our offense a chance, and they didn't.  Our offense really shouldn't be expected to sustain a long drive every time they get the ball.  We're not going to win if our defense can't get a high powered offense off the field a bit more than they did today.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Right there was a play where Mahomes ran where Hughes was looking in the exact opposite direction of Mahomes as he ran around the edge it was like what the hell are you doing he's behind you?

Yeah, been noticing that with Hughes.  Kind of like Mario Williams his last couple of seasons here.  Works to get around the tackle but he’d be 5 yards past the pocket.

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The way I see it, "complementary football" means there are two sides to this

Yes, the offense could have sustained their first 2 drives in the 2nd half

Yes, the defense could have gotten a stop instead of allowing the Chiefs two long grinding scoring drives

They both had opportunities to change the fate of the game

They are both at fault

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The way I see it, "complementary football" means there are two sides to this

Yes, the offense could have sustained their first 2 drives in the 2nd half

Yes, the defense could have gotten a stop instead of allowing the Chiefs two long grinding scoring drives

They both had opportunities to change the fate of the game

They are both at fault

Complementary football to me means having a gameplan on both sides of the ball that support each other

If the defense is selling out to stop the pass and trading rushing yards/TOP for points, the offense needs to be able to score and sustain drives

IMO the defense did what they were asked to do, the offense did not hold up their end of the bargain. 

• Like (+1) 1