Beane needs to get on the telephone

Cal

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is one of the sweet mysteries of life to me.  Kroft is freakin' 6'6", 252 lbs, but where the heckin heck is he on the football field?  2 targets for 1 reception of 7 yards, and it was a good solid 7 yard reception but....where is he the rest of the time?  I know he blocks, but ???

Can he just not find the spots in the zone?  It's like "Beasley, or no one" the way some of these teams are playing us.

Yeah, TE is a gap.  I don't think we're going to find one.

I think we need a CB.  I don't think Josh Norman is cutting the mustard.

Beane needs to have a "come to Jesus" meeting so to speak with McDermott and Frazier about how they grade their guys and what they have/need.  They have no obligation to talk straight to the press, but Frazier says we have the right guys in the room - then they bench healthy Murphy and Phillips in favor of Cox and Zimmer.  That right there says to me they're acknowledging there's a problem and maybe the right guys are NOT in the room.

I think we need to look at the all-22 first to see what transpired.

In the past I would often see our TE's (and I am including Knox here) release late out to the flat as safety valves for Allen with no one near them, wagging their hands in the air, but he rarely goes to that throw in his progressions unless flushed out of the pocket with no time to look elsewhere.

When Knox or Kroft were asked to run deeper post and crossing routes against defenses, they got the looks and the chances. I don't think that was coincidence; I think that is where Allen's initial reads takes his eyes.

I think leveraging our TEs may have more to do with Allen just not checking down to them very often when that is how Daboll draws up their route.

TEs have to get the ball thrown to them to do something with it.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

Hopefully they can trade Murphy for a LB or CB. Maybe package him and HH together. 

Murphy and HH have little to no trade value. Not sure what you could possibly expect in return but it certainly wouldn’t be anyone good.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

Hopefully they can trade Murphy for a LB or CB. Maybe package him and HH together. 

Who the Hell is HH?

Can some of you people just type out the players' names?!

Not everyone here speaks in initials!

Edited by Mark Vader
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Cal said:

I know no one may be available for a trade but he must try. There are two major concerns. We need...

A legitimate TE or big WR. Kelce made Mahomes look good on a few inaccurate throws...Allen has no big athletic target like that.

A run stuffing DT. We got ran all over today. The lost of Jordan Phillips proves to be large. Ed Oliver can not stuff the run. Just use him on pass rushing downs.

Jordan Phillips was not a run stuffer. We are missing Star in that department. I honestly think the team should sign Snacks Harrison off Seattle's practice squad. I don't think the team needs to make a trade for a big DT. I think they can cut Butler and find someone better off the street. BUT the pass rush is where I think they need to make a big trade. Levi and Milano could help out the back end of the defense and Mongo can help the run blocking. But they need some help on the edge. 

If I were Beane I would call Minny and offer a 2nd rounder for Yannick. Minny is in the toilet and Yannick is leaving after this season. You might as well get back that second round pick you sunk into him. The Bills get a fairly cheap anchor to the D-line and pass rush and will likely be in line for a comp pick for him to help alleviate the 2nd rounder they sunk into him. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

Who the Hell is HH?

Hugh Heffner.  I think it's Horrible Harry which kind of fits his play this year.

• Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It's more the loss of Star than J. Phillips but a trade for a run stopping DT should be priority #1.  The question is WHO?

Agree to disagree. Phillips created QB pressure, was explosive off the line, and explosive on the sidelines.  He had a personality, a juice. So did shaq. Mcdermott even said Shaq "brought the juice".

Those two losses were miserable. Why not resign Phillips at least??

Shaq was good at containment and run stopping......

Coaching staff buying their own hype thought they didnt need guys they did thought they could just coach up anyone I guess.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

Agree to disagree. Phillips created QB pressure, was explosive off the line, and explosive on the sidelines.  He had a personality, a juice. So did shaq. Mcdermott even said Shaq "brought the juice".

Those two losses were miserable. Why not resign Phillips at least??

Shaq was good at containment and run stopping......

Coaching staff buying their own hype thought they didnt need guys they did thought they could just coach up anyone I guess.

Beane maybe relying on analytics too much and not considering team chemistry.  Also, he pry assumed that Harrison would be better, Oliver would improve, and that Star would still be around.  The addition of Jefferson was pry viewed as a depth move at the time.  They also saw Addison as an upgrade over Shaq.  Maybe their own hubris clouded their judgement.  Who fricken knows.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Cal said:

I know no one may be available for a trade but he must try. There are two major concerns. We need...

A legitimate TE or big WR. Kelce made Mahomes look good on a few inaccurate throws...Allen has no big athletic target like that.

A run stuffing DT. We got ran all over today. The lost of Jordan Phillips proves to be large. Ed Oliver can not stuff the run. Just use him on pass rushing downs.

Jordan Phillips was NEVER a run-stuffing DT. Never. He wasn't especially good against the run.

And Oliver's history is that he's terrific against the run, better than he is against the pass. Not so the past few weeks but it appears he's recovering from an injury. He's certainly not showing explosiveness like he normally does.

As for big trades, it's not likely to happen. We don't have the cap space to bring in a big salary, we just don't. I can see a move or two with small salaries, though.

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

If I were Beane I would call Minny and offer a 2nd rounder for Yannick. Minny is in the toilet and Yannick is leaving after this season. You might as well get back that second round pick you sunk into him. The Bills get a fairly cheap anchor to the D-line and pass rush and will likely be in line for a comp pick for him to help alleviate the 2nd rounder they sunk into him. 

Ngakoue's salary is $8 mill. 5 out of 16 games are gone, so that's $5.5 mill the rest of the year, which would put us a bit over the cap. And he'd be a one-year rental because he's going to be paid a lot next year and the Bills are actually already over the cap for next year.

A 2nd for a one-year rental wouldn't make sense.

Couldn't agree more that we're missing Star.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

For all the talk of our inadequate D-Line, I haven't seen anyone mention the opt-out of Star Lotuleilei. Fans always seemed to criticize him, but perhaps he really did a lot more than most thought.....I'm sure that unexpected loss created some problems up front.

We know with Beane that he'll go out and get someone if he sees someone who will improve the team. 

No $ is getting taken off the books this year as these players were signed and were on the active roster on game 1.  You have to pick up someone after the first game and then cut them if they don’t work out to not have to cut space.  As far as Hughes, and Murphy, I don’t think they are in our plans after this year, and Butler and Addison are stop gaps for the next two years as we would have overpaid for J. Phillips, and Shaq.

They are doing the best they can with what they have and we have no idea if Beane is calling every week of the season.  The notion he is just sitting back is ridiculous.  These are knee jerk reactions to losing to the two AFC Championship teams.  I thought we could beat the Titans given they have given up a lot of points to other teams.  That was a heartbreaking loss.  I was hopeful, but not expecting to win against the SB Champs.

4 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Who the Hell is HH?

Horrible Harry Phillips.

This brings to mind all of the Star hate that was beaming across this board last year. And there were two lines of thought: one was that Star was overrated and overpaid and the rest seemed to be, don't judge it on stats alone - he plays a vital role in clogging the lanes and freeing up the LBs to play.

Phillips and Liguet (sp?) were also important pieces, but I think we have our answer - leaving little room for debate. 

10 hours ago, Cal said:

lol

6 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Who the Hell is HH?

Hurbert Humphrey was nasty as an edge rusher

th?id=OIP.l6V22jBfMfPgY580QU8wXgHaD3&pid

• Awesome! (+1) 1