Biggest concern for me with this team...John brown 0 catches since week 2

Hebert19

7 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Johnny a full go at practice today so lets hope. 

He makes this offense go...just a consistent, reliable 5-6 catch, 70-80 yards a week guy that opens things up so much for others with his speed and ability to catch 10-15 yard intermediate routes after he runs the CB off.

On 10/19/2020 at 8:24 PM, Hebert19 said:

Yes.   He has been injured.  But even when playing he hasn't been the usual John brown 5 catches 75 yards every damn game.  

Now.  Is this a cause or effect?   Remember back when Minnesota said they were going to throw the ball to Randy moss 15 times a game.   It came at the price of victories.   

I think Josh is looking for Diggs too much.   Early on he was spreading it around now he's locking in on him a little too much.  

UM....John Brown had 4 catches on 5 targets against the Raiders.  42 yds.

John Brown had a great year last year as our #1 WR with Beasley and some questionable talent behind him. 

A more typical John Brown year has been ~3 receptions per game for 45-50 ypg

Brown was limited against the Rams due to injury (2 targets, 0 receptions), and plainly hampered against KC - should probably not have been playing (4-0)

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Weep not....Davis is right there to pick up the slack.. He has more yards and catches on fewer targets.  He catches 75% of his targets.  Brown barely crests 50%. 

Forget Brown.  Give Davis more shots.

Davis with John Brown in the lineup

9 targets 9 catches 2 TDs

Davis without John Brown 12 targets 6 catches 0 TDs

John Brown makes everyone better.  Believe that

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Davis with John Brown in the lineup

9 targets 9 catches 2 TDs

Davis without John Brown 12 targets 6 catches 0 TDs

John Brown makes everyone better.  Believe that

Davis has had only one game with over 5 targets.  He had his highest number of catches in a game with no Brown.  In 2 games that he was with Brown, Brown had zero catches.

If Brown can't answer the bell, give the load to Davis.  Why split the targets with a guy only reeling in half of his passes?  He's grossly underutilized.   

Diggs, Davis, Beasely.  

34 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Weep not....Davis is right there to pick up the slack.. He has more yards and catches on fewer targets.  He catches 75% of his targets.  Brown barely crests 50%. 

Davis may become a better WR than Brown in time, but right now, he's not. 

Davis has fewer targets while playing more for a reason - he's not getting open.

41 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Davis has had only one game with over 5 targets.  He had his highest number of catches in a game with no Brown.  In 2 games that he was with Brown, Brown had zero catches.

If Brown can't answer the bell, give the load to Davis.  Why split the targets with a guy only reeling in half of his passes?  He's grossly underutilized.   

Diggs, Davis, Beasely.  

He had his highest number of catches without brown, what was his catch % that game?  You did use his catch % as proof that he was better than brown.....but his catch% without brown isn’t very good. It only looks good because he was 9/9 WITH brown.  

Our offense is at its best when we have all 4 of them out there.  Brown is a huge threat on the boundaries vs these zones teams are running against us.  Teams have to focus on he and Diggs....then you have Beasley and the rbs underneath along with Davis, who can do it all.  

I love Davis.  I think he could be our #2 eventually.  I think he’s currently best used as our #4.  John Brown makes things happen for our offense even when he’s not getting targeted. I don’t think that your giving him enough credit. 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Davis may become a better WR than Brown in time, but right now, he's not. 

Davis has fewer targets while playing more for a reason - he's not getting open.

Or there are too many guys to target. He's 4th of all ball catchers in targets, 3rd in catches.  He's getting open.  His catch % suggests he's an easier target than Brown.  

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

He had his highest number of catches without brown, what was his catch % that game?  You did use his catch % as proof that he was better than brown.....but his catch% without brown isn’t very good. It only looks good because he was 9/9 WITH brown.  

Our offense is at its best when we have all 4 of them out there.  Brown is a huge threat on the boundaries vs these zones teams are running against us.  Teams have to focus on he and Diggs....then you have Beasley and the rbs underneath along with Davis, who can do it all.  

I love Davis.  I think he could be our #2 eventually.  I think he’s currently best used as our #4.  John Brown makes things happen for our offense even when he’s not getting targeted. I don’t think that your giving him enough credit. 

Brown doesn't even make a decent decoy now.  How is his catch percentage with Davis?

Whether a guy catches a pass isn't determined by what teammate/WR is lined up on the opposite side the line of scrimmage.  

Davis also caught 2 TDs that ended up getting called back because of penalty (one of which was his, but just illegal procedure). The long one in the middle of the field vs KC and the one last game. Hes getting open and seems to handle the Josh Allen fastball pretty effortlessly. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Or there are too many guys to target. He's 4th of all ball catchers in targets, 3rd in catches.  He's getting open.  His catch % suggests he's an easier target than Brown.  

Brown doesn't even make a decent decoy now.  How is his catch percentage with Davis?

Whether a guy catches a pass isn't determined by what teammate/WR is lined up on the opposite side the line of scrimmage.  

this is awesome

so we’re better without John Brown and he should be traded or benched and Davis should be our #2? 

that’s what you think?  If so, this explains a lot

Edited by NewEra

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

this is awesome

so we’re better without John Brown and he should be traded or benched and Davis should be our #2? 

that’s what you think?  If so, this explains a lot

No, straw man.  You seemed for a minute to want to make a fact based argument so I was responding in kind (and this was your hyperbolic non-response).  My bad.

Anyway.  Sure, it's nice to have Brown, when he's able to play fully.   This Offense isn't suffering for the absent Brown as much as there is no running game.  Lining up 4 WR isn't going to work much, now that teams see how it is with Daboll's Offense.  

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

36 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No, straw man.  You seemed for a minute to want to make a fact based argument so I was responding in kind (and this was your hyperbolic non-response).  My bad.

Anyway.  Sure, it's nice to have Brown, when he's able to play fully.   This Offense isn't suffering for the absent Brown as much as there is no running game.  Lining up 4 WR isn't going to work much, now that teams see how it is with Daboll's Offense.  

I simply said that John Brown makes everyone better, including Gabriel Davis.

you said to forget Brown and give Davis more looks, throwing some catch% stats out there and said the brown doesn’t even make a good decoy now.  

he makes a fine decoy and a fine WR.  You’re just going off a handful of games in which he was hurt in almost all of them.  

I don’t think “forgetting John Brown and giving Davis more shots” makes us a better offense