Defensive problems-just my opinion

BuffBills51

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

So how do we fix what is going on?  I would move Edmunds outside put Klein or Doddson at the mike.  Play Edmunds at the will and let him cleqn up.  When Milano returns utilize Edmunds like Thorax.  Edmunds is a physical freak.  He can run like a deer.  Supposivley he knows the defense.  Play him all over and let him attack the line instead of read and react.  Seems to me they are not maximizing his skill set.

Frazier defense relies on edmunds being used almost like a 3rd safety in the middle of the field on passing downs....what a waste of a true physical specimen such as edmunds......the scheme is very simple and there is a reason most of the nfl has phased out of the college and highschool cover 2 looks.......it isn't effective anymore

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Billever76 said:

Frazier defense relies on edmunds being used almost like a 3rd safety in the middle of the field on passing downs....what a waste of a true physical specimen such as edmunds......the scheme is very simple and there is a reason most of the nfl has phased out of the college and highschool cover 2 looks.......it isn't effective anymore

The coverage they are using obviously is working.  I dont hate the idea of having him qnd his wing spand in the middle of the defense on 3 and long.  To get them there I think he needs to be used to attack.  The defense seems pretty predictable.  Every team seems to be able to find the sticks and holes in the zone on 3rd down.

4 hours ago, mjt328 said:

But the Sean McDermott/Leslie Frazier scheme has been EXACTLY the same since the day they got here.

That's the crux of the problem IMO.  There's plenty of tape on it, plenty of analytics on tendencies, and "process" people are stubborn to change what got them there.  

I don't think Jerry Hughes and Ed Oliver are bad players.  It's just that the offensive line knows exactly how to neutralize them because they know what they will do.  

Sean McDermott is a more successful version of Dick Jauron.  I believe this analogy is fitting.  

He won't blow out teams in the name of sportsmanship and he will not change his strategy in a league that rewards obsessive adaption.

Tha

15 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

The coverage they are using obviously is working.  I dont hate the idea of having him qnd his wing spand in the middle of the defense on 3 and long.  To get them there I think he needs to be used to attack.  The defense seems pretty predictable.  Every team seems to be able to find the sticks and holes in the zone on 3rd down.

The coverage is not working...look at our 3rd down defense when teams are forced to throw?.....middle of the field open whenever you want a 6 yard pickup.....the only part of our coverage that is working is you won't get the bomb on us regularly as we focus all of our scheme to protect that first and foremost!.....problem is teams are 100% ok with taking all the other wide open soft spots in the zone and running at will on us giving them easily 3rd down chances.....edmunds should be firing into the backfield instead of dropping into intermediate or deep middle every passing down.........

17 hours ago, BuffBills51 said:

I will rank my defensive problems I am seeing. I have coached at multiple levels and was a scout for a period of time. This what I have been seeing consistently on film. 

1. A gap penetration. This seems to be the Bills largest problem when it comes to the passing game. Quarterbacks consistently have a clean area to step and throw. The Bills are missing Jordan Phillips in this area as they have had zero penetration between the center and guards this year and collapsing the pocket. 

2. Edmunds- I hate to list him as his own problem but he seems to be consistently out of position and over pursues trying to make a play. You need your middle linebacker to fill space and make a play at the line. He is a freak of an athlete but has not figured out the mlb spot and not sure he ever well. 

3. End contain- This is something that is taught from the youth level up to the pros. Our ends consistently get caught going inside losing their edge. It hurt us last week against Tannehill and cost us again tonight. 

4. Lack of playmakers on the front 7. This is an easy one. We just don’t have the athletes or personnel to apply pressure. We have a good secondary but with a lack of rush and pressure NFL quarterbacks are going to be able to step in to their throws and place into tight windows. 

Edmunds is an OLB- he has been playing out of position since day 1 but agree, he isnt playing well in the middle.

13 minutes ago, dpberr said:

That's the crux of the problem IMO.  There's plenty of tape on it, plenty of analytics on tendencies, and "process" people are stubborn to change what got them there.  

I don't think Jerry Hughes and Ed Oliver are bad players.  It's just that the offensive line knows exactly how to neutralize them because they know what they will do.  

Sean McDermott is a more successful version of Dick Jauron.  I believe this analogy is fitting.  

He won't blow out teams in the name of sportsmanship and he will not change his strategy in a league that rewards obsessive adaption.

Jerry Hughes has nothing left and Ed Oliver is playing like a B rate actor.