Defensive problems-just my opinion

BuffBills51

I will rank my defensive problems I am seeing. I have coached at multiple levels and was a scout for a period of time. This what I have been seeing consistently on film. 

1. A gap penetration. This seems to be the Bills largest problem when it comes to the passing game. Quarterbacks consistently have a clean area to step and throw. The Bills are missing Jordan Phillips in this area as they have had zero penetration between the center and guards this year and collapsing the pocket. 

2. Edmunds- I hate to list him as his own problem but he seems to be consistently out of position and over pursues trying to make a play. You need your middle linebacker to fill space and make a play at the line. He is a freak of an athlete but has not figured out the mlb spot and not sure he ever well. 

3. End contain- This is something that is taught from the youth level up to the pros. Our ends consistently get caught going inside losing their edge. It hurt us last week against Tannehill and cost us again tonight. 

4. Lack of playmakers on the front 7. This is an easy one. We just don’t have the athletes or personnel to apply pressure. We have a good secondary but with a lack of rush and pressure NFL quarterbacks are going to be able to step in to their throws and place into tight windows. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BuffBills51 said:

I will rank my defensive problems I am seeing. I have coached at multiple levels and was a scout for a period of time. This what I have been seeing consistently on film. 

1. A gap penetration. This seems to be the Bills largest problem when it comes to the passing game. Quarterbacks consistently have a clean area to step and throw. The Bills are missing Jordan Phillips in this area as they have had zero penetration between the center and guards this year and collapsing the pocket. 

2. Edmunds- I hate to list him as his own problem but he seems to be consistently out of position and over pursues trying to make a play. You need your middle linebacker to fill space and make a play at the line. He is a freak of an athlete but has not figured out the mlb spot and not sure he ever well. 

3. End contain- This is something that is taught from the youth level up to the pros. Our ends consistently get caught going inside losing their edge. It hurt us last week against Tannehill and cost us again tonight. 

4. Lack of playmakers on the front 7. This is an easy one. We just don’t have the athletes or personnel to apply pressure. We have a good secondary but with a lack of rush and pressure NFL quarterbacks are going to be able to step in to their throws and place into tight windows. 

#1 a DC who has no ability to scheme to his rosters strengths to hide our weakness....hyde/poyer/edmunds/white/milano and our defense is on pace to be the worst in franchise history?....ummm no its on our DC to get the most from his players and Frazier has failed...white and then poyer both having undisciplined penalties in crucial late game points?...the players have checked out of this defense and are sinking the entire ship....mcdermott has only one option and that is to relieve frazier of calling the defense and atleast attempt to salvage it..and the only way that can be done is you leave the soft zone cover 2 bs with 25yard deep safetys and 10 yard cushion cb schemes in the 🗑 where it belongs....we dont have the front 4 for the bend but dont break to not collapse...we must bring our safeties up in run and intermediate pass help and stop worrying about the homerun big play

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

#1 a DC who has no ability to scheme to his rosters strengths to hide our weakness....hyde/poyer/edmunds/white/milano and our defense is on pace to be the worst in franchise history?....ummm no its on our DC to get the most from his players and Frazier has failed...white and then poyer both having undisciplined penalties in crucial late game points?...the players have checked out of this defense and are sinking the entire ship....mcdermott has only one option and that is to relieve frazier of calling the defense and atleast attempt to salvage it..and the only way that can be done is you leave the soft zone cover 2 bs with 25yard deep safetys and 10 yard cushion cb schemes in the 🗑 where it belongs....we dont have the front 4 for the bend but dont break to not collapse...we must bring our safeties up in run and intermediate pass help and stop worrying about the homerun big play

Agree. The lack of pressure from the front four is going to cause issues versus any NFL quarterback. Either McDermott fixes the problem or starts running stunts to apply some pressure. The Bills have talent but teams have started adjusting to our defense in year 3 of running it. 

5 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

Love this post

6 minutes ago, BuffBills51 said:

Agree. The lack of pressure from the front four is going to cause issues versus any NFL quarterback. Either McDermott fixes the problem or starts running stunts to apply some pressure. The Bills have talent but teams have started adjusting to our defense in year 3 of running it. 

We tried loading up the box and blitzing last week and couldn't get home once. We just benched two of our regulars to send a message. This isn't about the coaching.

8 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

I thought the defensive strategy was pretty sound; gave up only 26 points to a team that would shredded them for 46 had they played press with 8 in the box due to lack of pass rush.   the problem was the offense could not score , simple as that.  Spags made a mess out of Josh's head.  All good, Titans and Chiefs are the class of the AFC now and it showed.  

There seems to be such a lack of discipline.  Guys overplaying the ball, and not staying in their lanes & with their assignments.  They could use a "do your job" lecture from Belichick.

And the game-changing penalties.  Last week,  Epenesa w/ the Offside on a crucial 3rd down, when we could have still turned things around.  This week, Poyer with that thoughtless penalty.  Could have set up a 3rd & long, and really had a shot to steal a win w/ a stop.

I love Poyer.  But man, that cannot happen. I don't know how that happens.

I don’t agree with vanilla overall. We have blitzed at a high clip this season. We did play very vanilla today. I think the strategy was ok we just didn’t make plays to get off the field on third down and haven’t all year. 

I really would’ve like to see more aggression today. Especially with the weather. I wanted to see Mahomes make a throw to someone other than Kelce. 
We will see them or the titans again. 

59 minutes ago, BuffBills51 said:

Tackling is horrendous at times.  Jefferson had Helaire wrapped up by his head and let him get away.  Luckily someone else was there to clean up.  It would be interesting to find out how many tackles Helaire broke in this game.

Of course, many times they didn’t get a hand on him until he was 7-8 yards down the field.  They showed that one replay from the end zone camera behind.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen a bigger hole. The closest players were barely on the edges of the screen.  How does that happen?

1 hour ago, BuffBills51 said:

I do wonder if Oliver is still banged up.  But man, why did we pay vernon butler?  He flat out sucks.  Zimmer was also largely terrible when i saw him.

Edmunds is a function of the defense.  You play soft zone, they can use RPOs to force you into a decision.  He kept playing pass (as he should), and they'd run over the joke of a dline.  The zone helps when they run pass plays, but we'd get caught up with mahomes eyes and lose track of players.  The entire defense is disjointed and it starts up front.  Lost the edge last week, flat out lost the LOS this week. 

Edmunds is a huge problem.   He runs fast to the wrong spot consistently and its killing this defense.  He is below replacement level at this point in his career despite what the team and local media would want you to believe.  

He actually tripped over the turf because he was running out of control like normal on that Mahomes pirouette near the sideline that got them to 4th and inches.......had he come in under control and broke down and made a tackle it would've been 4th and 5.   He's just so out of control.

The difference between the Bills Defense today and the defense from last season we’re:  no Milano, Lorenzo Alexander, Shaq Lawson, Leituilelei, Jordan Phillips, Levi Wallace.  The replacements just weren’t good enough.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think it comes to players ability to make plays and win their matchups. Our defense is built to defend the pass in a pass heavy league. Why not encourage a team to pass by overloading the box? It’s not as if a team can hold up after being gashed 50 running plays. It’s about your ability to hold up. Because we are small our D can’t sustain adequate push on early downs. It therefore would make sense to overload the box and dare teams to pass on early downs. I’d rather lose being I was out quarterbacked than gashed for 250 yards on the ground.