a few thoughts about the Chiefs game, in no particular order

Virgil

I think we all would have signed up for 5-2 in the offseason.  Not that the Jets is a given - but it kind of is.

As a fanbase, we're probably anxious for the team to be better than it is.  At this point in the season, it's clear we have a few glaring weaknesses.  Some probably aren't fixable with our current personnel.

But we CAN get hot, and hopefully we will when it counts.  I haven't lost any faith in Allen whatsoever.  A few plays really turned the narrative tonight - would love to have seen the game where Brown caught that very first 1st down, or the Chiefs don't make TD saving plays on the long passes to Brown & Diggs in the endzone.  I'd love to see the game where the ball comes out right before the RB's knee hit the ground, or where Poyer didn't make that unnecessary hit out of bounds.

It's not like we were that far away from a W.  It's too easy to overreact right now.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BadboyBills said:

"A few thoughts"?! A few of my own. Imagine Cody made that fg at the end of the half. They never showed the replay, surprise, surprise because we're not the 'boys but Im willing to bet it was laces in Cody's face. Btw, Diggs should've had that catch at back of end zone. More drops today too. We make that fg at the end of the half were only 6 down with a chance to win at the end, prime Josh allen time. But, were down 2 scores, maybe he doesnt throw that pick and just takes what the D gives him. Who knows? Chances to win and we didnt execute once again. I still think we're a year away from being true contenders. McBeane have their work cut out for them on the defensive side of the ball and need to get more toughness on both lines.

What about that field goal? That one field goal? At half time? What a weird thing to harp on given every other thing that happened out there today. 

We were nearly halfway through the 4th quarter before we completed 10 passes or had 100 yards. Playing what if on a rookie kicker on a rainy day, with an entire rest of the half to play is silly. Also, his last kickoff he popped that up for the coverage team to drop the return inside the 20. 

ST was of zero concern today. 

34 minutes ago, Success said:

I think we all would have signed up for 5-2 in the offseason.  Not that the Jets is a given - but it kind of is.

I think the Jets fans might be more upset about winning the game than people here would be if the Bills somehow manage to lose that game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BadboyBills said:

Your worried about stats.and calling me out?! He makes that kick were only 6 down with Josh under 2 minutes. Give me a break. Stop drinking and go to bed. Gnite

We had all game and scored a whopping 17 points all game long. 

...But sure, if the kicker had made a 52 yarder 30 minutes earlier, then, with 2 minutes to go, after struggling mightily to put together something that might be confused with an NFL offense, we would have pulled out the super special play book and scored a TD. 

There, I took the “stats” out for you.

1- The defense for all the abuse it took did within an inch of an RB's leg being down almost put this team with the ball down 6 deep in KC territory and held KC to 26 points down from their 30 point average. The defense however really let the game down when they couldn't get KC off the field on 3rd and long when it was a 6 point game late. The defensive strategy wasn't the best but it could have worked. 

2- This loss is more on the offense. To beat KC you need to score points. 17 points isn't going to cut it. 

3- This was a bad game from Josh. KC implemented the blitz blitz blitz strategy that Baltimore did and the team needs to better prepare for that. 

4- Bojo and the ST unit was very good in this game. Despite Bass's miss (which was 52 yards out in bad weather) the ST unit did its part. 

Overall it sucks but the combined record of the two teams the Bills lost to is 9-1. There is a big time need for concern but no need to panic. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

I'm worried because it's two weeks in a row where you could tell from the first time, he was mentally just off.  The result carried through the entire game.  Something is missing

I’ve been saying it for a while. You can tell just by looking at Josh before the game how he’s gonna play. It’s obvious when he’s nervous. 

6 hours ago, zow2 said:

Tonight was an exact replica of a Rex Ryan era Bills game.... blah poorly executed offense for the most part, poor QBing, and just horrible D that can't stop anyone.  Actually- in the Rex days we had a top notch running game.  So this was worse.

Naa man, Rex Ryan took the very best pass rush in the league with the very best D linemen. Then turned them into stationary plug players or had them drop back into pass coverage while the Bills crappy LBers were supposed to make plays. 

The Bills run game under Ryan was good because Anthony Lynn was the OC/HC. LeSean McCoy was doing well and the Bills had a pro bowl OG in Ritchie Incognito, Eric Wood at center, Glenn at LT.  2016 Rushing, #2 in rush attempts, #1 in rushing yards, #1 in rushing TDs, #1 in rushing yards per attempt.

The Buffalo Bills current OC looks to be damned and defiant to throw the ball no matter what the weather conditions or the team he is facing. To him, the Bills run game is like a temporary distraction until he can call another pass play.  Tenn, 34 rushes vs Bills 22. KC, 46 rushes vs Bills 23. 

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

1- The defense for all the abuse it took did within an inch of an RB's leg being down almost put this team with the ball down 6 deep in KC territory and held KC to 26 points down from their 30 point average. The defense however really let the game down when they couldn't get KC off the field on 3rd and long when it was a 6 point game late. The defensive strategy wasn't the best but it could have worked. 

2- This loss is more on the offense. To beat KC you need to score points. 17 points isn't going to cut it. 

3- This was a bad game from Josh. KC implemented the blitz blitz blitz strategy that Baltimore did and the team needs to better prepare for that. 

4- Bojo and the ST unit was very good in this game. Despite Bass's miss (which was 52 yards out in bad weather) the ST unit did its part. 

Overall it sucks but the combined record of the two teams the Bills lost to is 9-1. There is a big time need for concern but no need to panic. 

1- the weather and Mahomes not throwing those deep bombs to Hill as he usually does could have been a bigger factor in limited the Chiefs to 26 points. Mahomes still went 22-26 for 225 yards, 2 TDs. Why? because Patrick was hitting the short dump off passes AND he had a run game to lean on! 

The mere fact that the Chiefs ran all over Buffalo to the tune of 46 rushes for 245 yards a 5.3 YPC AVG and before the half Helaire was averaging a whopping 10.6 YPC. The Bills defense was the very worst thing on the field, no question in my view. 

2-In order to score points the Bills offense needed to be on the field more than 22:17 min! yeah, that's right. The Chiefs held the ball for 37:45!

3- Yes, Allen was off at times and so was Mahomes in that weather. And yes, Allen was under a lot of pressure all game and most particularly on 3rd down. You know what helps a QB in that situation, a good run game. 

You can talk about a bad game from Josh Allen. I seem to recall Josh stepping up to the line on 3rd and 10 on the Chiefs 28, reading the defense and changing the play call and throwing to Diggs (penalty on Chiefs) Allen saw the Chiefs were in man coverage and saw Diggs singled so he changed the play call went to Diggs, the Chiefs DB did interfere. Next play Allen throws a Laser to Diggs in the side of the end zone, TD. Great play by both QB and WR. The Bills took the lead on that TD 10-7. 

You are right though, in Allen was under a lot of pressure just like that 2019 Ravens game and again Bills OC Brian Daboll had no answer for it. It is a team game and you can't expect a QB to carry a team when he is getting hit so often after every pass play. The Bills O line stunk, the Bills run game stunk, the Bills play calling/game plan stunk. JMO

9 hours ago, stevestojan said:

Is there any coincidence that we went 4-0 against garbage teams and then lost to two good ones? No? 

Steve, the Rams and now Miami are proving they are not garbage teams, nor are the Raiders.  Virgil, spot on as always.  I believe in Josh, and he’ll get his mojo back against the Jests.  Then we should be playing with confidence against the Pats.  The sky is falling by some is just not smart, and proves they don’t know football.  There is a reason only two teams have gone undefeated in the regular season since the merger.

5 hours ago, Mango said:

What about that field goal? That one field goal? At half time? What a weird thing to harp on given every other thing that happened out there today. 

We were nearly halfway through the 4th quarter before we completed 10 passes or had 100 yards. Playing what if on a rookie kicker on a rainy day, with an entire rest of the half to play is silly. Also, his last kickoff he popped that up for the coverage team to drop the return inside the 20. 

ST was of zero concern today. 

Happy not to blame Bass but if he makes that, the Bills are driving for a potential win at the end. 

Good points being made.  Here are some thoughts I had as well:

1. Frazier's defensive game plan seemed to be to contain the long passing game of the Chiefs.   Reid saw that and reacted with a running game that made the Bills D look terrible.   I don't remember any long pass attempts by the Chiefs and nothing to Hill.  

2.  It appears like no one on the Bills D-line could beat a one-on-one block nor are they good on containing the pocket.  The Chiefs did not need to double team anyone.  

3.  Because of observation 2, Edmunds looked far worse than he actually was.  It appears he's taken a step back from last year, but what's happened is that the D-Line is not cleaning up in front of the LB's and there is always at least one blocker getting to the second level, making it harder to make plays.  

4.  Missing Person Report:  Has anyone seen or heard from Micah Hyde in the last two games.  It seems like Frazier has him lining up so deep off the line of scrimmage that you don't even see him on the screen.  I don't remember hearing his name called even once.

5.  On a positive note, Josh Allen moves around in the pocket very well.  He moves to side step rushers and keeps his focus down the field.  

6.  Even the most die hard Bills fan could not complain about the referee calls yesterday.  The Bills seemed to get the breaks on the calls and were not heavily penalized.  There were two personal fouls later in the game and those were well deserved.  I am not sure what Poyer and Norman were thinking.

7.  The good news: The Bills are still in control of the AFC East and with wins within the division they will win it.  The Jets are "losing for Lawerence" and I think we can handle both the Pats and Dolphins.  

21 minutes ago, VirginiaMike said:

6.  Even the most die hard Bills fan could not complain about the referee calls yesterday.  The Bills seemed to get the breaks on the calls and were not heavily penalized.  There were two personal fouls later in the game and those were well deserved.  I am not sure what Poyer and Norman were thinking.

Regarding 6 it was White not Norman. Those penalties were terrible and undisciplined.

Belichek benches you for crap like that.  

On another note, if that knee wasn't down, Bills have a chance to go up late vs the SB champs. As badly as they played, it was not out of reach like Titans game. 

Edited by shoshin

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

10 - McD - Two teams walked onto the field with what appeared to be similar game plans for tonight.  I'd argue that both teams match up well with rosters, but one team just punched the other in the mouth in the trenches.  Allen didn't have it for the 2nd week in a row.  Multiple personal fouls after the play was over.  

I am glad that you mentioned this. Those two late hit penalties were flagrant and stupid. The Bills are very good imo, but not good enough to get away with stupid mistakes, especially against Mahomes. I think that this should be part of the "process" that McDermott acts as if he invented.

I could easily be wrong, bit I suspect that McDermott went with the "play not to lose" mentality because he didn't want to get blown out by the quarterback that he traded away for a defensive back. I suggest this as a possibility, not fact.

I'm not very worried. Call me crazy but imo, this is a solid playoff team.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Figster said:

I'm also not worried about Allen. Hearing Aikman and then Terry Bradshaws comments at halftme was infuriating.

Clearly the weather played a part, but by all means lets judge Josh Allen long term on one game and remind everyone how you can never fix accuracy problems.

What a douche bag...

Thanks Virgil

Yeah, as I said elsewhere, this coming from a guy with a career 52% completion percentage.  Rules were different back then but I’m just saying.

8 hours ago, WideNine said:

He's been a bit shakey since the shoulder ding, and has gone up against NE styled defenses that definitely seem to throw him off his game...

If there is just a half-second hesitation it is all it takes for a completion to become a miss, or an open window to close.

A complimentary running game of any sort would be helpful as teams are not even trying to bite on play action or bring their safeties up to the line. We suck that bad just moving guys with our line.

I do think with the way the defense has been playing, that Allen is struggling mentally with the idea of carrying this team

He is not ready yet, but I did not see the panic dumb-mistakes "bad" Allen with no-look laterals surface. Sure he chucked one up for grabs near the end, but the game was over and just waiting on the fat lady at that point.

There is a gap between us and the best teams in the league. We know what that looks like now.

I find this to be a wholly reasonable take...quick, say something irrational so that I know I’m in the right place 🤣

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I am glad that you mentioned this. Those two late hit penalties were flagrant and stupid. The Bills are very good imo, but not good enough to get away with stupid mistakes, especially against Mahomes. I think that this should be part of the "process" that McDermott acts as if he invented.

I could easily be wrong, bit I suspect that McDermott went with the "play not to lose" mentality because he didn't want to get blown out by the quarterback that he traded away for a defensive back. I suggest this as a possibility, not fact.

I'm not very worried. Call me crazy but imo, this is a solid playoff team.

They lost last night to the SB champs. If the defense holds on the final drive, Bills get a chance for a game winning drive. If that knee wasn’t down, it’s a short field. If Bass makes the FG, they are within 6 with 90 seconds to go. 

As badly as they got mauled on defense, they were actually in the game. The time of possession destroyed them. 

7 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Virgil .... you praised edmunds last game and I didn’t see it. What’s you take now?  I think the kid is awful. 

I did what now?  I’d double check that one