People need to check themselves

Watkins90

26 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Dan Quinn made a superbowl in Atlanta, lost and just got fired.

The bar needs to be higher than Look the team is relevant and in games now.

McDermott has not improved as a head coach. Still makes bad in game decisions, is awful with clock management. uses timeouts and weird and inopportune times.

hes currently a few games over .500

The next 6 weeks after the Jets game is going to tell us who McDermott is, no more cupcake schedule.

There is a very real chance that this team goes on an extended losing streak against the like of Seattle, AZ, New England, LAC, Pitsburgh, San Fran

Please elaborate on his bad decisions.

You say he hasn’t improved.  His first year, he coached scared and never went for it on 4th.  He does now.  Is that not improving?  

Every coach makes bad game decisions btw.  Literally, every coach makes bad decisions.  It comes with being a head coach.  

Everything you’re saying about McDermott, e re a bens fans said about Harbaugh, browns fans said about Belichick, eagles fans said about Reid, eagles fans said about vermeil.  

This was his first HC job on any level.  It’s trial and error.  He’s learning as he goes.  He’s getting better (whether or not you agree with that notion) and is taking his lumps along the way.  That’s the way it works.  Some coaches strike lightning in a bottle like Doug Pederson.  Most have to learn along the way.  That’s the reality of being a HC in the NFL

13 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I specifically said not now, but whatever...

I didn’t specifically say now, but whatever....

care to place a wager that McD will be our coach in 2021?  I don’t have to see what happens in the playoffs to know that he’s earned another season already.  

mcdermott is “soft” LOL

Edited by NewEra

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Please elaborate on his bad decisions.

You say he hasn’t improved.  His first year, he coached scared and never went for it on 4th.  He does now.  Is that not improving?  

Every coach makes bad game decisions btw.  Literally, every coach makes bad decisions.  It comes with being a head coach.  

Everything you’re saying about McDermott, e re a bens fans said about Harbaugh, browns fans said about Belichick, eagles fans said about Reid, eagles fans said about vermeil.  

This was his first HC job on any level.  It’s trial and error.  He’s learning as he goes.  He’s getting better (whether or not you agree with that notion) and is taking his lumps along the way.  That’s the way it works.  Some coaches strike lightning in a bottle like Doug Pederson.  Most have to learn along the way.  That’s the reality of being a HC in the NFL

Well just yesterday, Allowing the Chiefs to move the ball at will in the first half and coming out with the same gameplan in the second half and allowing 8 yards per carry.

his vauted defense is crumbling before out eyes and just let up a historically bad game.

His offense is regressing.

his teams were exploited the last two weeks. Again, the bills have a very real chance to be sub .500 this year when the scheduled gets tough after the Jets game based on the last 2 weeks.

His whole culture over talent schtick.

5 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Well just yesterday, Allowing the Chiefs to move the ball at will in the first half and coming out with the same gameplan in the second half and allowing 8 yards per carry.

his vauted defense is crumbling before out eyes and just let up a historically bad game.

His offense is regressing.

his teams were exploited the last two weeks. Again, the bills have a very real chance to be sub .500 this year when the scheduled gets tough after the Jets game based on the last 2 weeks.

His whole culture over talent schtick.

Ok, so his bad decisions were:

allowing the best team in football to move the ball on us.

his offense is regressing.  

culture over talent 

gotcha.  Way to prove a point

3 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

ofc he's here in 2021, I said as much...

Then why talk about him getting fired if he doesn’t win a playoff game?  You also said that much 

Edited by NewEra

20 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Ok, so his bad decisions were:

allowing the best team in football to move the ball on us.

his offense is regressing.  

culture over talent 

gotcha.  Way to prove a point

That was off the top off my head.

You conveniently left his Defense is awful, like worst in the league awful.

Thought Jeff Tuel  Nate Peterman was a starting QB.

Has a poor record against teams with winning records.

Has double digit blowout losses (20 points or more).

Edit - All the bad QBs blend together.

Edited by CountDorkula

8 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

That was off the top off my head.

You conveniently left his Defense is awful, like worst in the league awful.

Thought Jeff Tuel was a starting QB.

Has a poor record against teams with winning records.

Has double digit blowout losses (20 points or more).

He thought Jeff Tuel was a starting QB.  Interesting

you aren’t listing bad game decisions.  

Just now, NewEra said:

He thought Jeff Tuel was a starting QB.  Interesting

you aren’t listing bad game decisions.  

yesterday

let the clock expire in the 3Q trying to get the Chiefs to jump Offside instead of actually running a play to get a fresh set of downs to start Q4.

Going for 1 instead of 2 yesterday to make it so if the Chefs got a FG you were within a TD still.

57 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Keep thinking that.....you’re wrong.   Why would he then trade up for Zay Jones and draft Dawkins with his next 3 picks?  

Carolina is THE reason we didn’t select Mahomes.  Beane and Co didn’t scout QBs in Carolina because they had Cam.  While he wasn’t yet our GM, he had more to do with it than is said in the media, hence, why you think it was McD that wanted to build a D, while using 2 of his first 3 picks on O.

Nah - Mahomes didn't go to the senior bowl.  Most of the McD picks were senior bowl guys - Peterman, Zay, Tre, Dawkins

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Nah - Mahomes didn't go to the senior bowl.  Most of the McD picks were senior bowl guys - Peterman, Zay, Tre, Dawkins

So you don’t think that Beane was the de facto GM when McDermott was hired?  

Just now, CountDorkula said:

yesterday

let the clock expire in the 3Q trying to get the Chiefs to jump Offside instead of actually running a play to get a fresh set of downs to start Q4.

Going for 1 instead of 2 yesterday to make it so if the Chefs got a FG you were within a TD still.

I mean - you have to go for it down 2 scores when you can't stop the run right?  May as well run a QB power or something there and just try again to start the 4th.  

I feel like with the 50/50 nature of going for 2 - 2 points puts you down 5 and 0 puts you down 7.  Its tricky - if you kick and get a stop, a TD actually wins the game.  If you miss the 2 pointer and get the stop now you only tie.  So I don't know the entire math there... It comes down to actually getting a stop though which they didnt do.

So like - down 14, you should go for 2.  If you get it, you end up down 6 with a chance to kick to win.  If you don't you have another coin flip chance to tie on the 2nd score.  If you kick, you're down 7 and will then kick to tie - so no result of kicking is likely to get you a lead, while going for 2 has a 50% chance.  

Just now, NewEra said:

So you don’t think that Beane was the de facto GM when McDermott was hired?  

Probably not seeing as he didn't work here.

Just now, CountDorkula said:

I meant Peterman, All the bad Qbs are in my head. 

But you still haven’t listed any “bad game decisions”.

I’m sure he’s made plenty, as has every HoF HC, but if you want to use “bad game decisions” in your post, I would assume that you would have some examples in your head

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

I mean - you have to go for it down 2 scores when you can't stop the run right?  May as well run a QB power or something there and just try again to start the 4th.  

I feel like with the 50/50 nature of going for 2 - 2 points puts you down 5 and 0 puts you down 7.  Its tricky - if you kick and get a stop, a TD actually wins the game.  If you miss the 2 pointer and get the stop now you only tie.  So I don't know the entire math there... It comes down to actually getting a stop though which they didnt do.

So like - down 14, you should go for 2.  If you get it, you end up down 6 with a chance to kick to win.  If you don't you have another coin flip chance to tie on the 2nd score.  If you kick, you're down 7 and will then kick to tie - so no result of kicking is likely to get you a lead, while going for 2 has a 50% chance.  

Probably not seeing as he didn't work here.

Well, that’s why you feel that McD only drafted players from the senior bowl.  McD was hired and wanted Beane as his GM.  The Pegulas wanted to have a HC and GM that can work together.  If you don’t think that McD worked with Beane on that draft, you’re not thinking properly imo.  

It's funny, really, that we as fans tend to over-analyze how good of a job a coaching staff is doing.

Could it be that the level of talent in some aspects of the team simply isn't there?

In particular, the team is getting OWNED in the trenches on both sides of the ball. The offensive line is not opening any holes for the running game -- and, while they are doing much better in pass protection, I think Josh's mobility helps mask some deficiencies there as well. The defensive line is getting ZERO push and can't get off blocks. Last night we saw KC running backs getting 6 or 7 yards before any kind of contact whatsoever. That isn't just a tackling issue -- it is a problem with linemen being unable to fight off blocks and be in the position to make a tackle. And this came against a KC offensive line that was a bit banged up.

Is the coaching partly to blame? Perhaps. For example, I am not sure what scheme that they devised that would have left Kelce so wide open on a number of plays. However, for as bad as the team was man-handled last night -- they were still very much in the game until late in the 4th quarter. Maybe, the coaching staff deserves some credit for coming up with a scheme that allowed the game to remain competitive on the score board, even if the game itself was decidedly one-sided. 

Beane certainly bears some responsibility for having underestimated the impact of key losses like  Starr, Alexander, Phillips, Lawson, etc. Now that we are in mid-season, it is hard to expect help coming from the street (or trade). So the coaches are going to have to figure out the best way to get the most out of what they have. Getting Milano back will help, but he's also not going to help with the DL deficiencies. Also, maybe Mongo will provide some toughness on the OL if/when he ever returns.

Bill Parcells never predicted Super Bowl appearances when he was coaching. He always said that his job as a head coach was to take the players he was given and get the most out of them. He once said that he felt his best performance as a head coach came in 2000 when he was coaching the Jets -- and they finished 8-8 with a 3rd string QB as his starter.

Until the team figures out a way to overcome getting owned at the line of scrimmage, it is going to be difficult to win ANY games, including the next one against the Jets. Obviously the coaching staff must devise plans that will help to mask these deficiencies. The players need to dig deep, and where they are over-matched, at least play mistake-free.

38 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

I said hot seat next season. Honestly, can you read? WTF

How about let him coach.....let the bills play some games....let Beane make some moves......before we start talking about him being on the hot seat in 2021.

You stated that he isn’t going to get any better. He’ll be mediocre forever.  He’s the same mayonnaise.  

He signed an extension a few weeks ago.  Put the pitchfork down.

Here is what you need to check!

We all witnessed a cross between the 3 Stooges and a 5 Alarm Tire Fire for the Bills franchise, throughout the entire Millennium- pre McD. That is indisputable. 

What is also not in dispute is the actual record year over year v.s. Playoff bound teams of the same year. To me, that is the metric I looked at, which establishes progress. Without the every year posting, here is the total.

Bills: 19 Ws v.s. 78 Ls, for a 24% winning percentage. Far worse on the Road, of course. I think about 10%.

So, are we moving forward? Looks like it, buuuuuut... NO!

Bills under McDermott v.s. Same Year Playoff Teams

2017 = 2-4

2018 = 0-7

2019 = 1- 4

2020 =  0-2 ?

TOTAL = 3 - 17 20%

Worse. Beating the stiffs is a meh. Ho hum stuff.
Beating Playoff bound teams and SB Champions?

THE ONLY GOAL! Simply not better- yet.

5 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

We all witnessed a cross between the 3 Stooges and a 5 Alarm Tire Fire for the Bills franchise, throughout the entire Millennium- pre McD. That is indisputable. 

What is also not in dispute is the actual record year over year v.s. Playoff bound teams of the same year. To me, that is the metric I looked at, which establishes progress. Without the every year posting, here is the total.

Bills: 19 Ws v.s. 78 Ls, for a 24% winning percentage. Far worse on the Road, of course. I think about 10%.

2017 = 2-4

2018 = 0-7

2019 = 1- 4

2020 =  0-2 ?

TOTAL = 3 - 17 20%

I appreciate this break down. It’s very important, because I think this is a key thing we should all be looking it. The Bills need to show improvement here. 

Although I will say that the records in 2017 and 2018 shouldn’t carry as much stock as 2019 and 2020. The 17/18 Bills were not supposed to be competitive teams... those teams were tripped down to the screws.

The 2019/2020 Bills are important to look at and as of now, it definitely is underwhelming. Although I could argue we’re 2-2 against same year playoff teams this season. It remains to be seen. 

3 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

And that is pretty discouraging IMO, considering after 54 games he's barely above .500

Pegulas went through a lot of coaches & GM's quickly early on, I forsee an overcorrection where they hang on to someone like McDermott well past the due date...

He has a winning record in 2/3 seasons (also currently 4-2). The 6-10 season when the team was stripped down to the screws heavily impacts that. Context is important:) 

Edited by JGMcD2

6 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

And that is pretty discouraging IMO, considering after 54 games he's barely above .500

Pegulas went through a lot of coaches & GM's quickly early on, I forsee an overcorrection where they hang on to someone like McDermott well past the due date...

Because you think McD is mediocre.  

many disagree that he hasn’t improved, cannot improve and that he is mediocre and will forever be mediocre 

Edited by NewEra

6 minutes ago, Billsatlastin2018 said:

2017 = 2-4

2018 = 0-7

2019 = 1- 4

2020 =  0-2 ?

TOTAL = 3 - 17 20%

I think raiders and rams could be playoff bound.